• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR210 won't start and rough idle ***UPDATE SOLUTION***

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No water in the oil for sure??

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is this the MR-1 Engine in that boat, I have never fogged engines in my boat and operate a lot in salt, but I do run boat at least every week in in summer and once a month in our winter months, You know the ones where the temperature drops to 60's :(. Plus I run amsoil full synthetic marine oil. Wonder why you have to pull the motor when all the valve train is in the head, why cant they just pull the head off. Keep us posted. Im at almost 500 hrs on
my port engine

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is this the MR-1 Engine in that boat, I have never fogged engines in my boat and operate a lot in salt, but I do run boat at least every week in in summer and once a month in our winter months, You know the ones where the temperature drops to 60's :(. Plus I run amsoil full synthetic marine oil. Wonder why you have to pull the motor when all the valve train is in the head, why cant they just pull the head off. Keep us posted. Im at almost 500 hrs on
my port engine
No water in the oil. It's the 110 hp engine. Ran fine last summer and started just fine on my monthly checks in October and November. I thought about tearing it down in place and bringing in the head. But I don't have the patience to work in the engine bay and/or the time to get it done right now. So when it's all said and done removing the engine and having it worked on seemed like my best option.

Plus I hope to get rid of that pesky oil leak that's been a thorn in my side for years now. ;)

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
itsdgm, here are pictures we took on our adventure. We don't have the same engine but it should be close to same procedure.IMG_0858.JPG IMG_0870.JPG IMG_0872.JPG IMG_0875.JPG IMG_0880.JPG IMG_0885.JPG IMG_0887.JPG IMG_0893.JPG

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Looking back at these pictures reminds me that removing the engine bay cover completely would have made it easier. Just a suggestion for you.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @buckbuck for the pics and advice. It will all be put to good use.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@itsdgm , any updates?
Thanks @buckbuck for checking up on me. I've been really busy remodeling my daughters bedrooms over the past few weeks.

However, I did borrow an engine hoist and leveling bar from a friend. A few days ago I made a first attempt, but I couldn't get the hoist in the tight spot that I have the boat parked in. I even tried removing the rear tire on the trailer but I couldn't get the hoist forward enough to reach over the engine.

Today I bought some lumber and hardware to make a gantry so that I can lift the engine out and then move the boat out of the way. I was anticipating having to do this all along, but was hopeful that my friends engine puller would do the trick. It would've been much easier (and cheaper ;) )

I'll post up pics as soon as I have anything to report.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looking back at these pictures reminds me that removing the engine bay cover completely would have made it easier. Just a suggestion for you.
I like the Masterlock being used as a shackle!!

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
UPDATE: Yesterday I pulled the engine using a gantry that I made along with a borrowed chain hoist and leveling bar. I'll document that process later in a separate thread. Tomorrow the engine is going to the jet ski shop for repair. I'll make sure to get lots of pics. As for now, here's a few of the engine pull. At this point I'm just hoping for a sticky valve and a quick / affordable fix.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Higgy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
It sucks you've gotta go through all this... but I sure do like your gantry crane! Looks good!

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It sucks you've gotta go through all this... but I sure do like your gantry crane! Looks good!
Thanks @Higgy. I've been joking with my buddies that I'm the "first guy on my block to own a gantry". Everybody will want one as soon as they see it ;) It does come apart easily and can be stored under the boat, God forbid I need it for the other engine. Maybe I'll start a new thread "keeper of the crane" for anybody who wants to borrow it.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
gan·try
ˈɡantrē/
noun
noun: gantry; plural noun: gantries
  1. ...
    • a movable framework for supporting and servicing a rocket prior to launching

I thought that's quite an appropriate definition!

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Good luck @itsdgm ! Hope it ends up being quick fix like mine.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @ToddW850. I dropped it off this morning and the shop owner seems like the perfect person to get the job done. His shop was pretty filled up with work but he was going to try and take a look at it by the weekend. I'll keep you posted.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sure hope he takes some pictures for us.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sure hope he takes some pictures for us.
I told him I needed a ton of pics. So either he can send them to me or I'll probably want to see things in person before he reassembles it. He's going to tear it down first to see what parts he needs to order first. Then I'll probably swing by to see for myself. Either way, I'll have a few pics to show. ;)

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
UPDATE:

I got a call from the mechanic a few hours ago. He emailed me pics and we went over what he did and his findings.

Here's the order of how he approached diagnosing the problem. I'll document it as best as I can in case it helps others in the future. I might not be using all the correct lingo here, but I'll try ;) :

1. He ran a compression test. It verified 0 PSI on the cylinder in question.
2. He wanted to perform a leak down test. He was going to do one on the intake and exhaust side. From what I remember of the conversation he started with the intake then was going to do a check on the exhaust side. I think he said the intake side looked ok. But he couldn't get psi built up on the exhaust side and he could hear air escaping.
3. He used a scope to look inside the cylinder. From what he could see at this point, the piston looked ok.
4. He removed the valve cover. This revealed that one of the exhaust valves was sticking open. You can see in the 1st and 2nd pictures that one of the "covers" that sits above the valve and is what the cam comes in contact with is not returning to its normal position.
5. He removed the head and verified that one of the 2 exhaust valves is stuck open on the affected cylinder. This also showed that the valve, cylinder and piston look fine and that there wasn't any rust or any major damage that had taken place. GREAT NEWS. See 3rd pic.

He held up there because he knew that I wanted to see it in person. But after seeing his pics, I gave him the OK to go ahead and remove all of the valves on that cylinder and inspect them. IMHO there's No need to see it in person yet, there really isn't anything to see that he didn't take a pic of.

So, I'm really happy. This does seem to be a pretty minor issue. Just one stuck valve. We will know a bit more after he removes them all on that cylinder. Hopefully where the valve seats is in ok condition and this will be a quick and easy fix. (Possibly trouble with the valve guide or corrosion on the valve stem) ;)

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited: