• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR250 Preventing fuel blow back while filling?! Anyone have suggestions?

Zuppy51

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just frustrated with pumping fuel and trying to not get it to blow back all over. Today was the worst fuel in my face and clothing.

I’ve tried a few things, but thinking there must be a trick?!
Stopping frequently to allow venting.

ugamarkj

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Mine overflows too. I have someone on-board calling out the fuel %. I stop at 99%

LakesideLaw

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just frustrated with pumping fuel and trying to not get it to blow back all over. Today was the worst fuel in my face and clothing.

I’ve tried a few things, but thinking there must be a trick?!
Stopping frequently to allow venting.
Hmm… have not had this issue. Fuel pumps on trailer …. Gas docks and even 5 gallon cans. Filled up 4-5 times now and no issues with blowback… do you have a kink or blockage maybe?

Zuppy51

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Po
Hmm… have not had this issue. Fuel pumps on trailer …. Gas docks and even 5 gallon cans. Filled up 4-5 times now and no issues with blowback… do you have a kink or blockage maybe?
Never thought of that, i will do some investigation. Thanks for the suggestion.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I found holding the nozzle “gangsta” style keeps the fuel flowing in without burps. (Rotate 45-90 degrees clockwise). You might give that a try.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I only have a burp at the end, when it tops off, I now keep a rag around the nozzle so any splash get absorbed and not running down the side of the boat or on me.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Yamaha started putting a chk valve/flapper in the fuel fill hose to the tank. That flapper is possibly getting stuck or not working right. Mine was stuck after winter storage and my first fuel up but after a couple min of fueling slowly, the fresh gas freed it and i dont get blowback anymore. It flows as much as i can pump in it with the nozzle now. There was a thread on here somewhere of a member who took his fill hose apart at the tank to fix the valve that wasnt installed right at the factory. now if your just talking about when the tank finally fills to 100% and it comes up the hose well that is different entirely.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

Zuppy51

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for intel. I checked and could not find any kinks or blockage in either feed tube or vent.
Appreciate the help.

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
There is a Vent next to the fuel cap, you might want to check that it was properly installed and open from the factory. I know .... you shouldn’t have to do this but it might be one of the covid quality related issues. The problem could be improper vent installed or defective vent. Might be worth checking. I recall there was a recent thread on this topic, do a search.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
No issues with my 2020 model - takes fuel as fast as the pump allows. I have a good idea how much fuel she will take from the last time out and when close to that amount I listen to flow and once I hear it gurgling in the filler tube I shut it off so it won't splash - always shows 100% when done. Never tried going till the handle kicks off...maybe I'll give it a shot when I have soap and water on hand to wash any spillage off the boat and trailer.