• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Having trouble fueling your Yamaha? Me too!

lokart

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, I've had several stupid little things that I've had to "make right" on my Yamaha that should have been completed during the build. Lose hose clamps, rusty hardware (Yamaha should have used stainless), bolts over torqued (no anti-seize) and tons of bolts (dash board) that were never fully wrenched (washers spinning on the nuts). But this next thing beats all. I was having so much trouble fueling my boat at the pump. You know what I'm talking about... fuel, click, fuel click, fuel click. Can't even pull the pump handle half way without the dang thing clicking off, no matter the angle or depth of the fuel nozzle - took me forever to fill it up. THAT"S IT!!! I've had it. I purchased a cheap flex scope off amazon and stuck it down the fill tube. Unbelievable! I found this stupid flimsy wannabe back-flow/check valve device that supposedly keeps fuel from sloshing back up through the fill tube. Worse than it being so restrictive, I found it in the fill tube sideways. It wasn't seated squarely in the fill tube, blocking the flow. I pull the floor covering the fuel tank, removed the hose from the tank and found this device stuck sideways in the rubber tube. Instead of pulling it out and placing it where it was suppose to be seated, I removed it completely. Unlikely fuel would make it up the tube. The best part is, this little device is not listed in the parts schematic. I found it at the end of the fill tube just a few inches from the fuel tank. It looks like it is suppose to fit inside the aluminum spout that the rubber fill tube slips over.

Attachments

Monster77

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Thanks for the notice. Looks like a cheap little device that could have easily been made and installed better. I bought a 20 SX 195 late fall. Only had time to use it once before putting into storage. Never had to put fuel in it and still had 85% fuel left so just added fuel treatment and winterized it. If I have problems this spring fueling I’ll know where to look.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Similar issues with P W c fueling they put a vent at the top of the filler tube so I had to make a custom built funnel that allowed the vent to work without touching the fuel going in the tank.

Sonic Blue

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Great investigation and solution. Thank you. I’m not sure I would have solved that as quickly as you did.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Great tip. I have the same fuelling problem but never considered running the borescope down the hose....

lokart

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah, I just had this feeling this wasn't right. Shouldn't take me ten minutes to put half a tank of fuel in the boat.

lokart

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Similar issues with P W c fueling they put a vent at the top of the filler tube so I had to make a custom built funnel that allowed the vent to work without touching the fuel going in the tank.
Hmm, gonna look into that now with my FX. I was considering trying some sort of funnel adapter for the boat, but then thought I'd have a look first to if I could find an issue. Glad I did.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Never had an issue filling mine but good to know that little bugger is in there if I ever do.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
No fueling issues with mine either, but if I do I know what to look for in there, thanks.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
had 85% fuel left so just added fuel treatment and winterized it. If I have problems this spring fueling I’ll know where to look.
Did you run the engine after adding the fuel treatment? If not, you may find it runs rough for the first few minutes as it burns off the old untreated fuel in the lines between the tank and injectors.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Typically when addding fuel treatment for the winter you’ll want to top off the fuel tank to minimize the air gap for which water can form condensation as the temps and humidity outside change. The water can drop into the fuel which of course is not good but the stabil or other fuel additives help with that, to a degree, and even they recommend topping off the tank. You’ll likely be fine but next best to fill it up.

As for removing the check valve, whats prevents fuel from rushing out when you top it off? Is that going to mess up the functionality of the fuel vent? I probably would have just corrected the issue if possible than remove it altogether but it will be interesting to see if you have any issues as temps rise and with a full fuel tank. Keep us updated how it goes!

Last edited:

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
This is good info. Thanks for posting your findings

Monster77

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Did you run the engine after adding the fuel treatment? If not, you may find it runs rough for the first few minutes as it burns off the old untreated fuel in the lines between the tank and injectors.
Yes I did, thank you for the heads up though.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Found and removed the flapper... I'll fill up next weekend and see if it is any faster.

20210411_132512.jpg

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Found and removed the flapper... I'll fill up next weekend and see if it is any faster.

View attachment 146698
Looks like it was installed backwards... will be interesting to see if you get any leakage without it installed since it was in there backwards.

Seahorse

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just guessing, but since cars have an auto fuel shutoff if they are rolled or tip to an extreme angle, that this check valve is the equivalent to reduce fuel leakage/spillage if the boat should overturn. That is, in addition to the mentioned reduction of fuel sloshing from the filler in rough seas (I assume the fuel cap therefore is vented and not sealed for this to be the case).

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Looks like it was installed backwards... will be interesting to see if you get any leakage without it installed since it was in there backwards.
The picture is from the fuel tank side of the hose. It just really restricts fuel flow as the flap only opens partially and the spring tension is pretty high.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
The picture is from the fuel tank side of the hose. It just really restricts fuel flow as the flap only opens partially and the spring tension is pretty high.
Is your fuel filler cap a snug fit? If so you shouldn't have too much of an issue except maybe fueling on the water and the fuel sloshes around from waves. The tanks are vented (small chrome vent just fore of the filler) so it won't build pressure. On older boats we had, there was no flap valve so if the cap wasn't on tight, it would leak as fuel sloshed in the tanks.

lokart

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The filler tube is so long, I personally can't see any way for the fuel to come back up the tube. That device is not a tight fit, so fuel can still bypass it. No rubber seals or anything. Now my boat fuels up faster than my truck. No more click, click, click at the handle. That drove me nuts!

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length