• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Back to the future: considering a mint 2009 232 Limited S vs a new 2016 AR240 - am I crazy?

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
There needs to be an excited rating. Good luck @swatski!:beaver:

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
@swatski
To answer your original question...
Yes, you are crazy. For not having a boat another week in the summer!
Good Luck.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So when am I meeting you at the dealer and going for a first ride in your new boat @swatski. :p

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@swatski It is coming to Shelbyville, isn't it?

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
He can't answer right now......he is buying a boat!! Lol

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I hope it is an older one.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I hope it's a 42' Hydrasport with quad 300's on the back.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Glad I could help with your decision LOL. The other great thing about the older 230's is you can buy them for 1/2 the price of the new ones, we paid 24K cash for our 2008, it's nice not having a payment on a toy!!
Very true, and I'm a cash buyer. So, yes, definitely part of the temptation, tons of cash left over to spent on mods.
Just look at what @MX71 did with that boat wrap - that is SICK.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/2005-sx230-upgrade-exterior-wrap-new-interior.9976/

On the flip side though, how many times in one's lifetime does a wife push to buy a new boat...? I would say - probably - not more than once, right? Which means - if I do - I'm blowing my wad... ;)

--
I think I am late to this thread but I was going to post the above. This is what I opted to do a couple of years ago and I'm happy with my decision. I won't lie, the other day I was anchored and a 242 Limited flew by and I was a little jealous. It didn't take long to remember that I paid less than half of what he did and things were fine again. I did find a great deal on a boat with 15 hours on it, but it was like a needle in a haystack. In my lifetime I've purchased a few things new and more things used. I have some serious OCD with scratches and damage on the things I bought new-almost to the point of me not using them. But the stuff I bought used? I enjoy it much more because there are already those dreaded "first scratches" and generally I've always paid significantly less.

That said, I love the look of the 242s and I am big into tech. I would love a newer boat, but I just can't justify it with the amount of time we have to use it.

Now, if I were in your situation and my wife did the same as yours, I think we'd be in the same boat (hehehe) and I would be really torn.

All in all my only real regret is not finding a 232 Limited S, because when I look at @Zarrella's boat versus mine, his looks all that much better with the tower. Not that I can't add one, but I would've liked to have just bought a boat with one on it already. I do think the 242 hull does make the 230/232 hull dated, even though I've gotten lots of compliments on my boat.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
@captainhook

I don't have a tower. But I agree with you, can't and wont upgrade anytime soon. I love my boat just the way it is. It is garage kept and still looks brand new.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I am late to this thread but I was going to post the above. This is what I opted to do a couple of years ago and I'm happy with my decision. I won't lie, the other day I was anchored and a 242 Limited flew by and I was a little jealous. It didn't take long to remember that I paid less than half of what he did and things were fine again. I did find a great deal on a boat with 15 hours on it, but it was like a needle in a haystack. In my lifetime I've purchased a few things new and more things used. I have some serious OCD with scratches and damage on the things I bought new-almost to the point of me not using them. But the stuff I bought used? I enjoy it much more because there are already those dreaded "first scratches" and generally I've always paid significantly less.

That said, I love the look of the 242s and I am big into tech. I would love a newer boat, but I just can't justify it with the amount of time we have to use it.

Now, if I were in your situation and my wife did the same as yours, I think we'd be in the same boat (hehehe) and I would be really torn.

All in all my only real regret is not finding a 232 Limited S, because when I look at @Zarrella's boat versus mine, his looks all that much better with the tower. Not that I can't add one, but I would've liked to have just bought a boat with one on it already. I do think the 242 hull does make the 230/232 hull dated, even though I've gotten lots of compliments on my boat.
@captainhook Thank you very much. I must tell you I have read and reread you boat-hunting thread several times. Awesome info.
I have been torn, indeed. But I think we have a consensus here with the family (glad I decided to wait and listen).

I just hope I'm not gonna be one of those guys who can cast their line but can't hook their catch...;)

--

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your "boatless" status must be agonising in mid summer, good luck for tomorrow, bit late but just for the record go 16 AR :winkingthumbsup".

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
@captainhook Thank you very much. I must tell you I have read and reread you boat-hunting thread several times. Awesome info.
I have been torn, indeed. But I think we have a consensus here with the family (glad I decided to wait and listen).

I just hope I'm not gonna be one of those guys who can cast their line but can't hook their catch...;)

--
I'm glad that thread was helpful for you. It certainly was for me. Good luck!

Your "boatless" status must be agonising in mid summer, good luck for tomorrow, bit late but just for the record go 16 AR :winkingthumbsup".
I was thinking the same thing! I'm here on vacation visiting my parents and I've spent at least half the time on the water between my dad's stern drive and the SeaDoos we still have from when I was a kid. 21 and 23 years old and they still run like hell.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier is that really the only thing I don't like about my boat is the engine noise. My kids are small so the majority of the time is spent in the back of the boat. I feel like my dad's stern drive today was so much quieter and I forgot how much lower RPM they run. He was on plane at like 3k RPM. Shouting back and forth to my passengers isn't ideal but I guess the fact that I am so comfortable with them due to their reliability maybe makes up for some of it.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Noise? What noise?.....I never noticed. I guess I just tune it out.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@swatski, I know you have made up your mind and there is no changing it but this raw video has both the engine sound and voices during the Bimini crossing.

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bruce this is a great clip, your boat is awesome.

As far as my boat hunt... It's one thing to make up my mind, it's another to get it right. I'll update.

--

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski, I know you have made up your mind and there is no changing it but this raw video has both the engine sound and voices during the Bimini crossing.

Wow @Bruce you guys had great crossing conditions I had not seen that yet.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Okay, I have some answers. It's been an interesting process.

So, after all the deliberation, all the back-and-forth, we made a decision and pulled the trigger. The decision was to buy the 2009 232 Limited S (from the ebay auction). Well, it didn't work.

Long story short, after talking to the owner several times in the aftermath of the ebay auction we thought we had a deal. We cleared our calendars planning a jaunt to VA. The owner wasn't ready though. Not completely sure what's going on, but the owner clearly feels he is giving the boat away (at 25k) and could get several thousand $ more if he re-lists, and so on, and is basically dragging his feet. Whatever it is, I figured I'm not prepared for delays at that point, many days after the ebay auction closed. I offered what the ebay winning bid was (25k) as the winning bidder was a no-show. I think the owner is just not too keen on selling at that price, which I can understand. Not saying he is making a great decision.

I figured at that point we are getting a clear signal from the universe:
"Swatski, you must go and purchase a brand new 2016 AR240" ;)

(Thank God I'm so perceptive! :D)

--

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
When I was looking, eBay didn't seem to be the place to sell. I saw most boats finish below reserve or not sell. The Limited models do seem to go for a premium and he probably still thinks it's the summer selling season. He's running out of time so he should take the deal. Mine is not an "S" model so no tower (I think that's the only difference?) but I would take $25k if I were selling.

Either way, you end up with a great boat so grab that thing before time runs out!

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@swatski my boat is still available at 25k and I'll even meet you with it between Dallas and your home.