• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ballast and Wake-wedge

rocknracing

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I wish I had a wedge for my last 2 weeks on the water. I was rocking 2000# ballast + 1400# human ballast and had a crazy wake... I mean, makes a wake setter jealous kind of wave. That said, my platform (surf side) was under water and I had to be careful not to swamp. I had jetski's and seadoo's swarming my wake behind my riders (saw one go almost 3' airborne).
I had our local Malibu dealer who I know really well amazed how the wake looks! He never thought he would see it!! He's been trying for 3 years to sell me a new Malibu but he said looks like I might not now!! Hoping to get him out some Saturday with me!

THALL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just for a FYI , I have two 300 bags under my front seats and when I surf I fill them with my plumed ballast , they fill quick prob about 3-4 min , the pocket is long !!! Prob about 14-16 feat back , but when the wife surfs she likes more push so we empty them !!!here is a pic with no front weight View attachment 22928
I have a sx210. Looking for what you are running for weight and where you place it? What kind of bags? Any info would be great and same me some time learning what works and does not. Thanks again.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@THALL we are on vacation so we will get back to you asap.

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will give you a good right up when I get back :)

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Brian Rice

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is a pic with max weight View attachment 22930
Just for a FYI , I have two 300 bags under my front seats and when I surf I fill them with my plumed ballast , they fill quick prob about 3-4 min , the pocket is long !!! Prob about 14-16 feat back , but when the wife surfs she likes more push so we empty them !!!here is a pic with no front weight View attachment 22928
What is the ballast set up on this picture? Looks like a great wave.

roofingpat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
What is the minimum water depth you guys are surfing in? The advantage of driving these jets boats in shallow water seems to be counterproductive when it comes to making a big wave with my factory ballast. Thoughts on a minimum?

Blenderhead

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What is the minimum water depth you guys are surfing in? The advantage of driving these jets boats in shallow water seems to be counterproductive when it comes to making a big wave with my factory ballast. Thoughts on a minimum?
Not sure on the minimum but as a general wake surfing rule its best to find deepest and calmest water you can. You need water displacement for surfing so if it's shallow underneath the boat there's not a lot to work with.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You need atleast 10' . You have to have water to displace water.