• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Best tie down straps

haolegirl70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We have a 2021 AR250 and we live in Florida. The tie down straps on the trailer didn't even last a year before they rusted out. Does anyone have a suggestion for stainless steel straps?

After installing, spray them down with some CRC 656 or equivalent after every use to keep any non-stainless parts of the Boat Buckles operating properly. 3 years and counting with no issues, thanks to this tip from @swatski

After installing, spray them down with some CRC 656 or equivalent after every use to keep any non-stainless parts of the Boat Buckles operating properly. 3 years and counting with no issues, thanks to this tip from @swatski
Thank you

Thank you

Hey All, I found this thread via a search on the forums. I was actually looking at these exact ones for the transom, but aren't these underrated for most jet boats? I have a 212SD that's around 4,000lbs with gear. Seems like these BoatBuckle G2 Staineless Steel Straps only have a break strength of 1500 lbs and 500 lb work load.

This would be my first set of straps I have bought, so still learning what is actually needed. From what I understand, shouldn't the workload of the strap match the weight of the boat, or minimally with 2 straps combined they match the workload? i.e. 2 2,000 lb workload straps in my case?

Again, I'm still learning about this, that's why I'm researching, asking questions, so feel free to tell me I'm dumb, hehe. :)

Last edited:
Macs make the best tie-down straps (for offroad).
You only need the capacity for the entire weight of the boat if you plan to hang it from the straps:

1000 lbs pulling down on the rear of the boat should be sufficient to keep it attached to the trailer. My brother's new 2022 AR190 has buckle straps from Yamaha. Those couldn't be more than 350 lbs each.

I think the rear straps are only to keep the ass of the boat from bouncing up and down.

Got it. Makes sense. Thank you for explaining that!

Hey All, I found this thread via a search on the forums. I was actually looking at these exact ones for the transom, but aren't these underrated for most jet boats? I have a 212SD that's around 4,000lbs with gear. Seems like these BoatBuckle G2 Staineless Steel Straps only have a break strength of 1500 lbs and 500 lb work load.

This would be my first set of straps I have bought, so still learning what is actually needed. From what I understand, shouldn't the workload of the strap match the weight of the boat, or minimally with 2 straps combined they match the workload? i.e. 2 2,000 lb workload straps in my case?

Again, I'm still learning about this, that's why I'm researching, asking questions, so feel free to tell me I'm dumb, hehe. :)
It’s not carrying your boat it just prevent it from bouncing

The straps do more than prevent bouncing. They are there to help secure the boat from sliding back or off the trailer. There are stronger versions of Boat Buckles.

Yeah trailer straps are not there to hold the weight of the boat. I've seen people trailer boats without transom straps and the boat doesn't bounce or slide around at all...at least not boats with some weight to them. I think the straps are more a safety measure if you have to slam on the brakes or take sudden turns to avoid an accident.

A 12' aluminum boat with a 4hp outboard might bounce around over bumps, but I can't see a 2500+ boat move at all.

Awesome, thanks all!

Driving from So Cal to AZ today. My buckles were about 3 clicks loose when I arrived. The 24’ boat did wiggle around on the trailer some.

@Nightmare Probably slid forward a bit. I have seen that happen on mine sometimes. I always try to snug after driving a bit if I am going some distance.

Driving from So Cal to AZ today. My buckles were about 3 clicks loose when I arrived. The 24’ boat did wiggle around on the trailer some.

Very common topic on this forum. And with your vintage, you probably have the trailers with the winch post that moves. We always give them a couple clicks at the next stop light. I may have my winch post welded someday.

I was once told trailer straps are not there to secure your boat to the trailer. They're there to secure the trailer to your boat. Along the same lines as the laces in a pair of roller skates.

The straps do more than prevent bouncing. They are there to help secure the boat from sliding back or off the trailer. There are stronger versions of Boat Buckles.
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/boa...E3L28XjpH9x_vjP3HOcaAoDiEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

The following was from a BASS PRO SHOP RESOURCE answer from the quoted link above (emphasis mine):

----When choosing tie-down straps like the BoatBuckle Retractable Tie-Down Strap you will want to keep a few things in mind. Boat tie-downs are designed for normal highway driving. The purpose of most boat tie-downs is to strap the lightest object to the heaviest object, meaning you will want to choose a tie-down with a break strength that exceeds the weight of the lightest object.

For example, if your boat weighs 4,000 lbs and your trailer weighs 2,000 lbs, you will want to choose a tie-down strap with a break strength that exceeds the weight of the trailer. This ensures that the boat does not jump off of the trailer if you run over bumps or potholes. You could always go with straps that have greater break strengths, but if you are in a severe accident, very few straps could handle the forces that are created when the boat tries to leave the trailer, especially with bigger and heavier boats.
-----

Maybe more accurately, the trailer will "jump" with your boat ensuring that your boat will "land" back on the exact same spot on the trailer.

With that being stated, try to find out what your trailer weighs. This seems like the correct answer to me.

Thanks

Back