• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Bimini 2015 - July 6th to 11th

Does anyone know the pro and cons of leaving out of fort lauderdale vs miami. People are telling me its a bad idea to leave from fort lauderdale and better from miami due to the gulf stream.

Does anyone know the pro and cons of leaving out of fort lauderdale vs miami. People are telling me its a bad idea to leave from fort lauderdale and better from miami due to the gulf stream.

Miami is a little closer by water. Fort Lauderdale is a little safer.

Miami might be better for your Jet Ski group.

Ftl is about 5mile longer trip by water than Miami but you still cross the same gulf stream.

We leave out of ftl because the first year we went with the Bahamas Tourism guide tour and they leave out of ftl, so if it is good enough departure/return port for them it is good enough for me.

Plus ftl is s closer drive than Miami and I feel comfortable leaving my truck trailer at harbour towne marina.

Miami is a little closer by water. Fort Lauderdale is a little safer.

Miami might be better for your Jet Ski group.

I am guessing you mean safer as in crime/break-ins and etc?

Exactly. I have no real experience with leaving truck/trailer in Miami, just my gut opinion which might be way off base. I'm just comfortable with launching/recovering and staying at the Bahia Mar before departing Fort Lauderdale for Bimini.

If you guys only have skis in your group you will want to leave from Miami. You will have less water to cross. Ft Lauderdale is less distance to tow a boat which is a little more hassle than towing skis and crime rates are a little lower. If I was going just with a group of skis I would choose to drive the extra distance and do less distance in the water. If you pick the right launch point in Miami the trip is as little as 45-46 knotical miles . In good conditions it can be done in as little as an hour and forty five minutes down there. The biggest advantage to you guys leaving from Miami is that time differnce since you are only going for a weekend. Also if the conditions are bad you will be very thankful you made that choice as the Ft Laderdale in bad conditions could easily add another 45 minutes to an hour or so worth of water time to your trip.

Last edited:

Yes. The crime rate is high both places. In 2012 the crime rate for Fort Lauderdale was 495 and Miami was 580. On that same scale Detroit was 1,010 and NYC was 256.

The difference in distance from the opening of Port Miami to the fuel dock at Bimini Sands vs the opening of Port Everglades to the fuel dock at Bimini Sands is 5 miles.

image.jpg image.jpg

If you leave from crandon park in Biscane Key in Miami and go out Bears cut it is only 45.7 knotical miles worth of ocean travel from the mouth of Bear's cut to the entrance of Bimini Sands it really all depends were you leave from in Miami. I heard this is a great spot a group I know leaves from there every year with no issues. The Miami thing could be all perception. Sorry I'm thinking knotical miles not regular mile I applogize sorry

Attachments

• IMG_2600[1].png
    IMG_2600[1].png
    111.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Sorry I'm thinking knotical miles not regular mile I applogize sorry

Nautucal miles are more appropriate. I was using statute miles.

Nautucal miles are more appropriate. I was using statute miles.
Either way you are correct on the difference though lol for some reason I was thinking there was a 10 knot difference each way not 5.

Having 19 on the roster we may want to discuss the logistics of such a large group...
Perhaps split into to 2 groups ?? One faster one slower ???
Just something to think about...

Having 19 on the roster we may want to discuss the logistics of such a large group...
Definitely something to think about. To me it depends on the sea conditions. If we get lucky like last year, then going as one big group will be fine, especially if we plan to stop half way for a swim break and refuel stop. If we have seas like we did in 2013, then two groups would probably be smart.

What was the average crossing speed last year? I know you guys had conditions but just currious.

What was the average crossing speed last year? I know you guys had conditions but just currious.

@andy07sx230ho, will have better information for the tail. The lead group was running around 30. The tail was closer to 25. The lead group would stop occasionally to wait for the tail. I wanted to see how my boat handled the water with trim tabs so I ran ahead at full throttle and got up to 43 for a while then stopped to wait for the group to catch up.

@andy07sx230ho, will have better information for the tail. The lead group was running around 30. The tail was closer to 25. The lead group would stop occasionally to wait for the tail. I wanted to see how my boat handled the water with trim tabs so I ran ahead at full throttle and got up to 43 for a while then stopped to wait for the group to catch up.
@Bruce that is what I also remember. As I mentioned before I will be the father duck (or at least my boat will be) and only go as fast as the slowest boat. That being said if the slowest boat wants to go 30+ mph so will my boat.

From what we learned on last years crossing, which was a much bigger group than the 2013 trip, when seas are calm it is better to spread out wide instead of following nose to tail, that way you can stay out of others wake, we also spread wide on the 2011 trip with the last 1/3 of the trip over we were running 40+. Last year once everyone went wide instead of nose to tail we made better time. This year with a group of 20 boats and PWC's no matter how we spread, nose to tail or wide, we will be over a mile long. @tim h has made a suggestion that due to the size of this years group we might want to break into 2 groups, which I think is a great idea. At the captains meeting we can finalize which boats will be in which group and who will be considered the lead and tail of each group.

If the seas are rough we would go nose to tail this way the boat in front of you helps somewhat break down the waves and if the seas are calm we would spread wide to stay in clean water. If there are rough seas while going over we will be running into the face of the wave and while come back we will be riding up the backside of the waves. Also, typically the wind blows from east to west, so in your face while go to Bimini and at your back on the return trip.

Speaking of the captains meeting... Any suggestions? I thought bokampers would have worked well last year, and then we ran headlong into some soccer game and bad weather on the way back. BahiaMar will not budge, they will charge us for a meeting room.

I would suggest breaking into groups based on boat size/engines and the amenities people have installed.. VHF, GPS, amount of people/gear etc...

Speaking of the captains meeting... Any suggestions? I thought bokampers would have worked well last year, and then we ran headlong into some soccer game and bad weather on the way back. BahiaMar will not budge, they will charge us for a meeting room.

Someone suggested meeting at the pool. I believe that would work fine to get to know each other and discuss the crossing. If it was raining the covered bridge between the buildings could serve as a large meeting room. The beach across the road could be a good location as well.

There are several restaurants and cafes within walking distance. Bubba Gump Shrimp, Cocina Fresca Mexican and Coconuts (seafood) appear to be the largest and closest.

If we need to split into two groups to make it easier to stick together that makes sense. But I would not want to break off into a faster group just to go faster. I would feel terrible not to be there to help if someone in the second group needed it. Perhaps we should use a buddy system where each boat is responsible for knowing where one or two others are at all times. This is likely a decision that is best made after we know what the water will be like for the crossing. @upperdeck and @andy07sx230ho have the experience here so I support whatever they decide.

Back