• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Bimini 2015 - July 6th to 11th

I will also need a big favor from you guys that stay in Bimini, how is the internet there? I am self employed and need access to the internet at least for a few hours to handle payroll and billing while I am gone. Other than that I should be good to go next year. I know I can get an international plan on my phone temporarily which might be my best option but if it is available at the resort, that will work for me.
Wifi is available but it might be weak at your condo. To get the best reception I found trying first thing in the morning 6-7am is good or at other times walk down toward the office .

I will also need a big favor from you guys that stay in Bimini, how is the internet there? I am self employed and need access to the internet at least for a few hours to handle payroll and billing while I am gone. Other than that I should be good to go next year. I know I can get an international plan on my phone temporarily which might be my best option but if it is available at the resort, that will work for me.

Internet access was slow in our condo (21M). Some condos have dedicated WiFi connections. We were using Bimini Sand's shared service. I plan to bring better WiFi equipment to relay the signal this year. The service was better near the Bimini Sands office. Worst case scenario you would need to sit outside the office to do your work. I also found that Big Game Club had a good WiFi connection.

Awesome! I just looked up Verizons International plan for the Bahamas and I would get it as well but it limits you to 100 min and 100M of data and I would blow through that in a few days. Needless to say my phone will be on but not answered but incoming texts are unlimited so I could conduct business as needed. Its looking better and better.

That was something I had been meaning to ask as well is there cellular service on the island or am I better off to reactivate my satellite phone just for this trip?

I have Verizon and we had service. WiFi was spotty but had cell service. But keep in mind, when on the water there is no service like when along the coast or lakes when stateside. If you want that type of comm, then you will want a sat phone.

To be honest, my cell phone never left the condo, but i also realize not everyone has that luxury.

Check with your provider before you go. For example, Verizon has a package you can activate for your trip and they turn on international roaming for you. If you do not activate a package like that be prepared for a huge bill when you return otherwise it is not so bad as long as you plan ahead.

I will test VOIP from Bimini this year. We are planning to stay two weeks so I will have to work over there.

I will test VOIP from Bimini this year. We are planning to stay two weeks so I will have to work over there.

I will def. be interested in your results. That could make a world of difference for me.

I would go with an international plan as a backup. Remember, these people don't get stressed when they run out of deisel to have their generators running.

No worries mon !

So doing final prep to the skis and was trying to figure out a good way to mount flag pole with out drilling holes. Here is what i came up with but open to suggestions if anyone has any good ideas? I took two hose claps and one of my car flag poles and mounted it to the rear grab rail. I have given several good tugs its on there pretty good and has the ability to change flags out but I'm going to take the current clips out though and set it up with quick release clips so it can be done easily on the fly.

Attachments

• IMG_2710[1].jpg
    IMG_2710[1].jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2712[2].jpg
    IMG_2712[2].jpg
    104 KB · Views: 30
You dont need flags.. we never flew ours n our jet skis. And no one cared.. its a small place.. very lax

well I wont be showing that to the kids....

I've started a document that is based on the information from the first post of this thread showing where everyone is staying at Bimini Sands. If you provided your MMSI number on thread, https://jetboaters.net/threads/bimini-vhf-mmsi.5266/ , I've also added that info to the document. I will hand out final copies to everyone at the captains meeting.

Attachments

Last edited:
I used MagicJack iOS app on my phone when over Grand Bahama Island and it worked great. There are a few FREE apps that allow VOIP also. Might be another option for some.

I will be open for any VOIP options etc. I am working on going next year and that will be important for me.

We, and many of my co-workers, have generally used Skype. Buy minutes and you can call anyone. Works well.

I will be open for any VOIP options etc. I am working on going next year and that will be important for me.

I ordered a $35 NETGEAR N300 Wi-Fi Range Extender, Essentials Edition (EX2700) to try in the condo and am building a $150 In Boat Wireless (WiFi) Repeater. I will let you know how they work.

My business phone is VOIP anyway so I can simply use the VOIP clients on my mobile phone or laptop with it. I need internet access for database and iMessage access much more than voice. iMessage is an over IP protocol already. So if you are messaging between iPhones already just turn off the cellular network and keep using the iMessage via WiFi. We turned off mobile data on our phones before we left Fort Lauderdale but left voice on. That way we could make or receive expensive calls if needed but would not acquire expensive data bills. We did not make or receive any calls so we did not have any associated expense.

Thanks @Bruce any thing that works so I can makes the feasability of this trip much more likely.

Back