• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini 2018

JKallay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We used 26 gal each way to Bimini.
Conditions were good to fair. Cruise control at 6k 90% of the time.
We traveled solo so we had full control of our tempo.
We had 20 additional gals but never touched them.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
And you have a 192 with a turbo?

Is it some sort of special production 192?

JKallay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Boattest.com has 5k rpm being the most effiecient for 195s

097DA14C-A9FF-4B6A-BC97-01CECC197538.png

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow, that's fantastic! I remember reading about your trip. You must have kept it running without much boost, very smart. Those superchargers have a clutch, right?

Setting the constant RPM is the key, no doubt. One issue, especially in twins, is that the throttle levers do not stay put, and tend to drop in rough conditions. That de-activates the OEM crusie assist. It is also not easy to adjust the throttles precisely if it is really rough.

One solution, basically fool-proof, is installing the RideSteady by @Ridesteady.
Running at constant RPM, the system synchronizes both engines electronically. The throttles can be pushed up all the way (that way they never drop) while the RPM is adjusted with a knob, which can be done easily in any conditions.

--

JKallay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
And you have a 192 with a turbo?

Is it some sort of special production 192?
Supercharged? Yes, 100% stock.
Most people play with the throttle thus killing their efficiency. Set cruise, and take one wave at a time. Get ready to be busy steering, bobbing and weaving.

My YouTube vid is posted under TheJKSquared. I’m sure you’ve seen it.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In what conditions?

That is far, far, far more efficient than any 192 has ever been on a Bimini crossing!
3 mpg is a lot for a Bimini crossing but I do know @1948Isaac made in 2015 on a single tank with out refueling at sea its like all the other boats stay on plan keep the load light and you can do it. That said no way I would go with out extra fuel in a 192 or 195 as it has been proven if you can't stay on plane it could take you an extra 20 gallons to get there.

JKallay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
3 mpg is a lot for a Bimini crossing but I do know @1948Isaac made in 2015 on a single tank with out refueling at sea its like all the other boats stay on plan keep the load light and you can do it. That said no way I would go with out extra fuel in a 192 or 195 as it has been proven if you can't stay on plane it could take you an extra 20 gallons to get there.
Agree, I would not go without extra fuel as well. I would even consider taking an additional 12 gal can thus having 62 gal total.
Especially traveling in a group.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
All this talk about fuel and Bimini is giving me flashbacks

synackattack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Man I read through all of this, and you guys do not sell this trip very well. Basically as long as I'm prepared to be lost at sea, get knocked on the head with my tower, and beat in to 4ft-6ft rollers for 3 hours I'm good to go! :D

All joking aside, my wife and I are interested in making the trip across to Bimini, but probably can't swing it this year. I wanted to comment and follow this thread though.

I do have a question though, is there a reason you guys don't start further south, so that you're using the gulf stream to your advantage? Starting up in Ft. Lauderdale you'd be using about 10% of your speed (if you average 22.5mph) to compensate for current. Seems like there is a fairly consistent concern on here about fuel usage, so I believe that would be one way to make the trip at least a little bit more efficient.

I'm sure there's a good reason for your departure point. I was just curious.

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I do have a question though, is there a reason you guys don't start further south, so that you're using the gulf stream to your advantage?

I'm sure there's a good reason for your departure point. I was just curious.
Most of us would like to find our vehicles still there and/or not broken in to when we return.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

synackattack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
https://jetboaters.net/threads/jetboaters-net-bimini-fling-july-9th-to-14th-2018.16250/page-16#post-289246
Look at the last page, someone asked this not to long ago .

We might not “sale” very well but organize pretty well. LOL

Are you sure you cannot make it this year ? The vudou lady said that it will be a smith crossing this year.....
I think after reading about last year, you are due some good juju.

I see that post now, but its not just about the actual distance. The gulf stream averages 2.5 knots north. So for example to go 120deg you will have to be pointed 127ish deg the whole time to get to Bimini, but if you left from the south, say 6ishNM south latitude wise you could point due east and the current would drift you north 6 miles over the 2.5-3 hour trip.

EDIT: Again this only really matters if you're concerned about time and fuel being the most efficient. Only reason I even think about it is that I come from a sailing background, and current matters a lot more when you only do 5-6kts. Here's a sailing example with the math behind my madness. http://www.schoolofsailing.net/currents.html

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@synackattack, you are right about wanting to start further south when sailing.

When the stream is normal as predicted for your ride of the stream while sailing we have a nice crossing. The problems happen when the stream is confused with conflicting wave patterns.

Typically the forecast and observed conditions are rougher further south. In 2017 an experienced group of Yamahas that crossed the same morning we did reported a longer and harder crossing than our groups from Fort Lauderdale.

synackattack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@synackattack, you are right about wanting to start further south when sailing.

When the stream is normal as predicted for your ride of the stream while sailing we have a nice crossing. The problems happen when the stream is confused with conflicting wave patterns.

Typically the forecast and observed conditions are rougher further south. In 2017 an experienced group of Yamahas that crossed the same morning we did reported a longer and harder crossing than our groups from Fort Lauderdale.
I read your 4 reasons in the other thread, and I think you guys have this all planned nicely. It was mostly just curiosity.

I'm sure you have it, but if you don't the app Windy is a great tool for forecasting wind and wave conditions. My son is a competitive sailor, so we use it all the time to see what conditions for regattas will be like, and it is pretty spot on. There are forecast markers out in the Gulfstream that will give you an idea of the wind, waves heights, and wave frequency.

Hope you all have a great time, and a nice weather window both there and back!

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I read your 4 reasons in the other thread, and I think you guys have this all planned nicely. It was mostly just curiosity.

I'm sure you have it, but if you don't the app Windy is a great tool for forecasting wind and wave conditions. My son is a competitive sailor, so we use it all the time to see what conditions for regattas will be like, and it is pretty spot on. There are forecast markers out in the Gulfstream that will give you an idea of the wind, waves heights, and wave frequency.

Hope you all have a great time, and a nice weather window both there and back!
Which windy app do you suggest?

upload_2018-3-22_13-54-53.png

NICK-TX-DEVILDOG

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi, I was searching around looking for my next boat when I discovered all the videos of the crossing and now I am totally hooked. I do not have much experience so I would be holding off tell 2019 but have a coupe questions. Original I was looking at a Ar 195 but now see that would be very difficult making the trip with the fuel and weight issue. How would the 210 do on the trip, I see most of you have the 240. Thanks

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I am going in a 212ss with mr1 motors and others have as well. Should be fine. The 24' will obviously be better.