• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bitching about prices

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
We were in the $80k range for our 2022 Yukon XL, and that was even stripping some “standard” features off that my wife didn’t want. Remember 30 years ago, you could get a Silverado 1500 for about 15k, now it’s 4x that on a good day for t he same base model options.

Ericd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
In SWFL the dealers are really taking advantage of the hurricane. So many people lost their vehicles so it’s highway robbery. Used are non-existent and list plus for new. People that can afford to travel are going out of state to buy.

jthackman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
didn't know the durango's were that high....
price charts are pretty steep
wife's 2021 jeep gcl msrp was 65275 (base 55800)
just online built about same 2023 model with msrp of 70510 (base 61195)
seems like the jgcl offers more bells/whistles than durango...and it has more space

my 2020 ram 2500 pickup msrp was 72770 (base 52350)
just online built about same 2022 model with msrp of 85605 (base 62630)

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
seems like the jgcl offers more bells/whistles than durango...and it has more space

I had to check for my self - my Ram now MSRPs for bout 10k more than when I got it 3 years ago. Granted they have some newer tech (uConnect 5, HUD, trailer control, digital rear view mirror). Wouldn't say that is anywhere close to 10k worth though. That was a '22, I am sure the '23 is even more - though again they introduced even more tech (12" gauge cluster screen, 360 trailer view)

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had to check for my self - my Ram now MSRPs for bout 10k more than when I got it 3 years ago. Granted they have some newer tech (uConnect 5, HUD, trailer control, digital rear view mirror). Wouldn't say that is anywhere close to 10k worth though. That was a '22, I am sure the '23 is even more - though again they introduced even more tech (12" gauge cluster screen, 360 trailer view)
The lcd based gauge clusters are actually cheaper for the OEMs than normal ones. That's why they're all switching to them.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

We liked GC L a lot, but no 392 option, or even the Hurricane I6. The 5.7 is "fine", and the pentastar would be adequate, but at 60k plus those aren't descriptions one should be making.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
The lcd based gauge clusters are actually cheaper for the OEMs than normal ones. That's why they're all switching to them.
Would be cool to find one "cheap" to replace my OEM analog one. The custom screens and full cluster nav are nice.

Sidarousmg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
just got back from the grocery store. bought some vegetables, lunch meets, and a bottle of wine....over a $100...prices on everything are RIDICULOUS!!!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I want to only spend in the low 50's. Sooner or later something will come along. Or I keep the 2017 Expedition long term for just towing the boat and get something else for everyday, etc. Was thinking electric but the prices aren't great. Wouldn't mind a Wrangler but same issue.... If the leases come back down on the F-150's that may be where I land...

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I want to only spend in the low 50's. Sooner or later something will come along. Or I keep the 2017 Expedition long term for just towing the boat and get something else for everyday, etc. Was thinking electric but the prices aren't great. Wouldn't mind a Wrangler but same issue.... If the leases come back down on the F-150's that may be where I land...
Good luck on Wrangler end - it takes 15 years for them to drop in price... then after 10 more years they go back up in price.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
just got back from the grocery store. bought some vegetables, lunch meets, and a bottle of wine....over a $100...prices on everything are RIDICULOUS!!!
Gotta switch to Barefoot - that will save you $40 right there lol.

meaningreen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Still start 3k lower than a Pilot.

Base model vs base model - Rio is 8k cheaper than a Civic.
Every Telluride where I live is going for $10-15K over sticker.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the thousands of F-150's that have been sitting outdoors waiting on chips finally hit the market. Drove by the Claycomo Plant (one of the F-150 plants) last week and it was F-150's and Transits lined up for as far as you could see.

Last edited:

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Every Telluride where I live is going for $10-15K over sticker.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the thousands of F-150's that have been sitting outdoors waiting on chips finally hit the market. Drove by the Claycomo Plant (one of the F-150 plants) last week and it was F-150's and Transits lined up for as far as you could see.
If you believe what they say, all the vehicles that are waiting on chips are current year production. So they're not gonna suddenly flood the market, they're just gonna fill existing orders in theory.

I think Adrian was right though, the prices being nuts aren't as bad as the discounts going away. It used to be you could get 10 to 20% off plus 0% for 60 or 72 months. I could probably feel ok paying 60 to 65k for a loaded f150 platinum that MSRPs at 82k, especially with 0% apr. But that full price is a non starter for me.

In other dumb things, you can't get the power boost motor with the 36 gallon tank. I dunno if the hybrid battery takes up that extra space, but it's enough to make the power boost pointless to me. Frankly, I think the 36 gallon tank should be the standard tank, and the big super duty 50 gallon ones should be optional.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you join Tread Lightly for 100.00 you are eligible for an affiliate discount on Jeeps. With that code your price negotiations will start at 1% under invoice. There are also a lot of dealerships that are offering prices well under invoice if you custom order.

Mesa50

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Spartanburg, South Carolina Lake Hartwell/Keowee
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
In the Greenville SC area, I’m starting to see the same vehicles sitting on car lots for nearly a month. I’ve been shopping around for a 3rd vehicle, and dealers are calling me 3 weeks later to ask if I’m still interested. I think the wild car market is about to come to a screeching halt. I’m going to wait it out a little longer.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Subjective, for sure, but I think calling the ST as the worst-in-class interior seems like a bit of a stretch. Especially considering the piss-poor design and functionality of Uconnect compared to Sync. Haven't been in them since 2020 so perhaps that's improved. I do think that both screen designs are stupid looking, but ya know, they work.

Wife's ST is easily the best car we've ever owned, I borrow it all the time when I don't need the truck for something. The only thing I hate about it is the portrait screen (and that's because of the way Ford programmed it to work), if it were my car I'd have gotten the standard one.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Subjective, for sure, but I think calling the ST as the worst-in-class interior seems like a bit of a stretch. Especially considering the piss-poor design and functionality of Uconnect compared to Sync. Haven't been in them since 2020 but perhaps that's improved.

Wife's ST is easily the best car we've ever owned, I borrow it all the time when I don't need the truck for something.
That is a bold statement... Sync has consistently been ranked one of the worst infotainment systems for years, while uConnect has always been ranked high. The 8.4" uConnect has been great forever. They finally switched over to Android a few years ago which supposedly made some good improvements. Sync 3 was a marked improvement but still nothing to brag about. Have not been in a car with Sync 4.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Agreed on Sync prior to 3. Sync3 isn't flashy, but it works reliably. We had to fight with UConnect in our '19 Grand Cherokee all the time, super slow, having to dig through screens to turn on your seats and shit. I don't really follow infotainment rankings, but a quick google hardly places it in the 'worst' category. 1, 2, 3.

That being said, this is all subjective and not objective, just sharing my two cents after recently owning both makes.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Agreed on Sync prior to 3. Sync3 isn't flashy, but it works reliably. We had to fight with UConnect in our '19 Grand Cherokee all the time, super slow, having to dig through screens to turn on your seats and shit. I don't really follow infotainment rankings, but a quick google hardly places it in the 'worst' category. 1, 2, 3.

That being said, this is all subjective and not objective, just sharing my two cents after recently owning both makes.
'19 GC shouldn't be slow. Even my '13 Ram was more than quick enough. They brought in some software upgrades to quick access controls like seat controls on newer screens. Always thought it was weird some cars had it on the screen and a button but other just had the screen.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The objective things that make the Explorer have the worst in class interior are the glaring panel gaps, the horribly obvious carpet seam when you open the passenger door, the horrible implementation of the 360 camera on the 12" screen, the laggy and ugly digital cluster...

The ST gets great makes from me in chassis, driving dynamics, performance, steering wheel, and exterior looks, but that's about it. Sit in a palisade or telluride or GC L and they're in another league, it feels like comparing an old Kia to a Bentley. Sit in pathfinder and be blown away by how everything just works. Where we went wrong was sitting in an expedition after an explorer, THAT interior quality gap is about big as the canyons they call panel gaps on explorer. It's a real shame, because I really, really like explorer ST. The ST guys did almost everything they could right (would have preferred the 10r80 vs the weak 10r60), but the regular explorer team that made that interior... Frankly they should be jettisoned.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. The automakers pushing artphone like tech into cars only works IF ITS GOOD. If it's anything less than amazing, consumers will be disappointed, because we are used to great UI on smartphones. Even the apple experience is OK nowadays. What really kills me is Ford knew how bad the 12" screen software was. Lincoln had the chance to use it and declined because it was so bad. The premium model decided to use the smaller screen, that's how bad that software is.

I get that I'm being hyper picky, but I feel like these are things that they should have gotten right, especially at $60k.