• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Boat assembly adhesive/glue?

Hoppy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Dose anyone know what type of glue Yamaha used to join the top and bottom hull halfs when assembling our boats? More importantly what will stick to it? My 2003 Lx210 the glue between the back seat area and engine compartment was not thick enough to fill the gap upon assembly and I want to fill the gap for strength before I cover it over with insulation. Pictures included and thank you for any help.20230223_094050.jpg20230223_094058.jpg

I would use 3M 5200 fast cure for that job. Start off with a 10 oz. tube, you will probably use more. 5200 is permanent/rigid and fast cure is 24 hours curing time, not 7 days curing like regular 5200. 4200 is more flexible. Both rated for below the waterline.

Forgot about West Systems products I've been using for repairs...I did use G/flex 655 to fix a bulkhead in the bilge of the sailboat.

20230223_173556.jpg

20210907_143315.jpg 20230224_085315.jpg

Last edited:
Used Six10 and have been 110% happy I also used the regular Gallon cans with the ratio pumps and the appropriate 4xx fillers as well.. for glass and laminates...

I got a trophy for cutting a hole in my boat too :wideyed:

attachment - 2022-03-03T110727.531.jpgattachment (9).jpgattachment (36).jpgattachment (52).jpgattachment (82).jpgattachment (84).jpg

I'm throwing this idea out there to hear responses for or against, not as a solution for the original poster.

Would a urethane like Quad work on fiberglass? I've never had a problem with it sticking to everything when used for projects around the house, it's like baby crap, in fact... Wear gloves and a tyvek suit for when you mysteriously get some in a crevice "somewhere" ??

I've applied it in a light rain outdoors, and it's waterproof, lots of leeway in application conditions. Just trying to think of suitable less-expensive options, and this would remain flexible as well, if needed. Better minds and more experienced opinions are welcome to help educate me!

I don’t know what Yamaha uses but it is strong stuff. They used a thin bead to bond the top and bottom of the ar240 hull I just stripped. I don’t think I could create a small separation with a large crow bar. They use a lot more to bond the pump to the hull. I wanted to keep the pumps but gave up after a few minutes of trying to pry them loose from the hull and I didn’t want them enough to cut them out. That said if putting a hull together I’d go with 5200, I’m sure some of the other adhesives mentioned earlier would work just as well if not better but 5200 is what I’m familiar with, nothing industrial. 9B39D729-A91C-40F6-8647-4A91C5D4EE27.jpeg937C2A8E-E5D0-4788-9D74-CC6D5167539B.jpeg

Last edited:
These were listed in my 07 service manual.

Screenshot_20230225-064233_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

So you have silicone or Yamabond 4 aka Threebond 1215 (grey) color.

The manual states silicone for the hull/deck joint as well as sealing the pump and ride plate.

Screenshot_20230225-064257_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Screenshot_20230225-064317_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

But it may be Yamabond 4 because of it's properties, "filling gaps at flanges", but most likely used on the engines, but I could not find where it was used in the manual. Though, @Ronnie 's picture of the hull/deck joint being dark grey or black leads me to think it is not Yamabond. Yamabond 4 appears to be a light grey in color. IDK!

Last edited:
Thank you for all the suggestions and help. Whatever Yamaha used for an adhesive is tuff stuff. I cut a small strip out to do some tests as to what would bond to it as I did not want to remove all the intact adhesive that was there. It is hard to cut with a razer knife, difficult to sand, and when bent tends to return to its original shape.
Glue1.jpgGlue2.jpgGlue3.jpg
I had some 3m4200 and some west systems 105 resin/206 hardener/406 filler to test with so after sanding and cleaning the adhesive with acetone I applied some 4200 to the bottom of the strip and west systems epoxy mixed to a peanut butter consistency to the top of the strip.

Glue4.jpg

After sitting overnight I flexed the half I applied the west systems epoxy to back and forth several times and I am impressed at how well the west systems flexed and adhered to the adhesive. I was able to eventually flex the west systems to the point of failure but as you can see it had to be flexed to the extremes multiple times to do so. The 3m4200 half is not yet dry enough to test. I will probably use the West systems as I have it already and seams to be plenty strong for my application.
Glue5.jpgGlue6.jpgGlue7.jpg

I did find a YouTube video test of multiple construction adhesives including 3m5200 tested scientifically in short the 3m5200 was stronger than the wood he had bonded it to.

I jumped the gun a little on testing the west system epoxy, after 4 days it is nolonger flexible I still think however it has bonded to the unknown adheasive adequately. I also tested the bond of the 4200 to the unknown adheasive and it adhered fine also it is however softer and more flexible than the west systems I think I will still use the west systems.
20230301_091718.jpg
The 4200 after 4 days had no problem flexing and staying adhered to the unknown adheasive
20230301_092708.jpg
4200 on the left and west system on the right I used a hammer and chisel to atempt to separate the 4200/west system from the unknown adheasive the 4200 ripped thew itself and the west systems came off the adheasive in some spots and left chunks attached in others.

These were listed in my 07 service manual.

View attachment 194974

So you have silicone or Yamabond 4 aka Threebond 1215 (grey) color.

The manual states silicone for the hull/deck joint as well as sealing the pump and ride plate.

View attachment 194972

View attachment 194971

But it may be Yamabond 4 because of it's properties, "filling gaps at flanges", but most likely used on the engines, but I could not find where it was used in the manual. Though, @Ronnie 's picture of the hull/deck joint being dark grey or black leads me to think it is not Yamabond. Yamabond 4 appears to be a light grey in color. IDK!

My boat def did not put a clear silicone at the bottom of the rubrail :shakesfist:. I know cause I took off the back half of my rubrail to check for voids in sealing the 2 halves together. There was nothing on that at all. Granted I didn't have many if any voids that water could get through between the hull halves like others have had. Which I am somewhat glad for, but then I'm still searching as to where the water comes in when surfing. Grrrrr.....

Back