• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat buckles...anyone use them?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well, I had the state right @swatski ! :p

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I came to the realization I need to get these buckles over the weekend. My standard straps don't ratchet tight enough to hold the boat snug on the trailer.

How are you guys mounting these things on your trailer? I'd see they make some brackets that bolt through the normal strap holes, but that doesn't look very sturdy. Are you guys drilling holes in your trailer frame and sending a bolt all the way through the frame?

Av8tor07

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I came to the realization I need to get these buckles over the weekend. My standard straps don't ratchet tight enough to hold the boat snug on the trailer.

How are you guys mounting these things on your trailer? I'd see they make some brackets that bolt through the normal strap holes, but that doesn't look very sturdy. Are you guys drilling holes in your trailer frame and sending a bolt all the way through the frame?
Drill onto the trailer. It's not that hard to do.

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Drill onto the trailer. It's not that hard to do.
Does the bolt go all the way through the frame so I can put a nut on the other end? is the bolt that comes with it long enough to go through the frame or must I buy one from the store?

Av8tor07

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Does the bolt go all the way through the frame so I can put a nut on the other end? is the bolt that comes with it long enough to go through the frame or must I buy one from the store?
It does go all the way through. The bolt it's about 8 inches long or so. I can take a picture of how I did mine if you want.

Av8tor07

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My trailer doesn't look like the one above.

waternutt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I am trying to figure out how to install some as well. I have the aluminum trailer from Chaparral and it is a aluminum I-beam. Makes it a little difficult to mount the Boat Buckles.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I only drilled through one side for mine, I didn't want the bolt going all the way through.

Earfixr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Looks like this will be my next trailer mod. If your FSH Sheorlander is anything like mine, the tail light housing serves as the base point for the factory tie down. The only problem is there is a little tab angled in on a 30 degree angle of the inboard side of the 8" tail light. Give it one good snug and watch it bend. Then over time watch your taillights start to bend outward. Horrible design. Who thought it was a good idea to anchor a boat under tension and that much load over an 8" bending moment to a little galvanized tail light? Boat Buckles thru-bolted to the frame are next. Salt water life span is my only concern.

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I only drilled through one side for mine, I didn't want the bolt going all the way through.
If the bolt doesn't go all the way through the frame with a nut on the other end, how is your bolt holding your buckle? Did you thread the hole you drilled or something?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I bought boat buckles and installed them on my 2008 SX230 and broke one of them and replaced over time. Still the best to have the ratchet vs a standard transom tie down. My 2012 SX240 had the ratchet setup which to me, looked and acted identical to the boat buckles. If they were another brand, they were just as good as boat buckles, but I actually thought they were. I wouldn't have replaced them unless they broke. They actually had more torque and hold than the boat buckles on the 2008 had.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If the bolt doesn't go all the way through the frame with a nut on the other end, how is your bolt holding your buckle? Did you thread the hole you drilled or something?
I took the plastic covers off the end of my trailer rails, drilled through one side and put the Nut inside the rail.
Your trailer frame may be different, mine is rectangle tubing.

Kahuna Khris

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I took the plastic covers off the end of my trailer rails, drilled through one side and put the Nut inside the rail.
Your trailer frame may be different, mine is rectangle tubing.
Swatski mentioned this earlier but it is such an easy, cheap and effective solution it bears repeating. A sharp hard brake while moving forward and before you cinch the straps will properly seat the bow eye into the roller where subsequent braking wont result in loose straps at the stern. Tighten up the trailer winch those last two clicks and good to go. You will get good at this while hauling the boat from the ramp to the securing area so you only need to secure the stern straps once. Easy peasy.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What's the advantage over the standard flip lever style straps? I've never had an issue with those and the get super tight.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It's imposaible to lose or misplace boat buckles since they are bolted to the trailer. Also with boat buckles you don't spend anytime getting the strap length right. A lot of people still use conventional transom straps and break hard to get the boat tight against the bow stop but with boat buckles there is no need to do that, just tighten them down once and hit the road.

I purchased boat buckles for my 230 and my 242 came with Reese branded boat Buckles. The Reese brand were crap by comparison in that they would loosen up on the road. I ended up switching them out when I sold the 230.

Now my boat and pwc trailer have them and I had a bead welded to the ends of the bolts to prevent theft. Install on the boat trailer was easy, just used the mounting points already there. The pwc trailer install required welding of the trailer to the offset mounting tabs that came with the boat buckles (I could have bolted the tabs in place but welding was easier at the time).
image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A sharp hard brake while moving forward and before you cinch the straps will properly seat the bow eye ...
That's also effective at accelerating the process of separating the bunk boards from their lag bolts :rolleyes:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's also effective at accelerating the process of separating the bunk boards from their lag bolts :rolleyes:
I'm confused. How would that be different from a boat moving on a trailer - out at speed, on a highway...? Boat will move and straps will loosen up no matter where you do your breaking...
Tuck it up to start with, then tighten all the tie downs and they will not loosen up, no matter what the tow.
Am I missing something? Wouldn't be the first time..., lol.

--