• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need Advice Securing G2 Boat Buckles

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Someone removed and stole my G2 Boat Buckles today while we were at Saguaro Lake north of Phoenix. Unbelievable!@#$. We were boating, the trailer was parked with others and some "low life" decided he needed them more that I did.

I'm going to order another pair, but I won't install them until I can figure out how to keep this from happening again. My new trailer is aluminum, so tack welding isn't an option. I figure someone on this forum can suggest a solution I can do myself. Here are before and after pics.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I secured mine to the trailer by having a friend weld a bead onto the mounting bolt threads behind the nut. I did the same thing to my Fulton f2 winch.

Last edited:

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What a scumbag. You could use a theft deterrent bolt / nut. You'll have to buy the tool for it as well. (Probably a couple of them so you don't forget where you put it when you need it.)
http://www.losspreventionfasteners.com/tamperproof-security-bolts/#

Or as @Ronnie mentioned, you could have a bead welded on the end of the bolt so that the nut can't come off. But you would have to cut it off if you ever needed to remove it.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Red thread locker would make them quite difficult to remove.

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I secured mine to the trailer by having a friend weld a bead onto the mounting bolt threads behind the bolt. I did the same thing to my Fulton f2 winch.
That is a great idea...

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My boat buckles are approaching 5 years old and I'm starting to see rust. If/ when I replace them it will be with the stainless versions. Trailer came with Atwood buckles that were crap (loosened themselves on every trip out).

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the stock ones with the cheap galvanizing. Ever after washing with Salt Away and lubricating them after every use, they still rust. When they fail I will buy the stainless steel ones.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If you really want to go nuts...you cold have a small aluminum plate welded to the end of trailer so you can't get a wrench in there....that would make it hard should you ever need to replace them....but also give you a reason to buy a new boat when that happens....

"Honey....we need to buy a new boat cuz I broke a boat buckle" LOL

Spot welding the end of the nut is probably the simplest. Mine are recessed way back in the pipe....it was a bear to attach the nut....but also meant that it would be a bear to get the nut off! Looks like if you put it further back the strap would rub....

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tac welded mine as @Ronnie described. If you do, just weld the end of the bolt that way the last few threads can be cut off and the bolt can be removed.

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I tac welded mine as @Ronnie described. If you do, just weld the end of the bolt that way the last few threads can be cut off and the bolt can be removed.
Frankly Dennis and Ronnie this sounds like the most sure fire way to make quick removal almost impossible. I need to take the trailer back to the fabricator to replace the rear center clearance lights. I'm sure he can break out his welder for a few minutes to accomplish this. I'll just install long enough bolts to leave enough for clean threads if I ever need to remove them. While I'm at it I think I will install a single Boat Buckle on the bow stop to take the pressure off the winch strap.

Last night I couldn't help but start worrying about someone taking pieces off my trailer at the lake to sell the aluminum for scrap. Everything but the axles and hitch are 100% aluminum all bolted together. I store it in a very secure lot, but it never occurred to me I would be at risk at the lake. I'm now searching threads for methods to electrify the trailer. Now that would be shocking. :woot:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had my boat, trailer and tow vehicle stolen from in front of my home a few years ago so I'm more prone to taking more security measures than most. Putting a little weld behind the nut is simple and cheap anti theft protection. Just be sure as you stated earlier that you leave a some room between the nut and the weld so you can cut and reuse the bolt if necessary as well as loosen and tighten the nut for adjustment purposes. I made the mistake of having the nut welded to the bolt on my f2 winch before checking that it was tight. It was loose and I ended up having to cut through the nut and bolt while in a contorted position just to put a new set in but tighter.

As for the rest of the trailer, I wouldn't worry much about it, just make sure that it is adequately or slightly over insured.

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I replaced the boat buckles today and added a 3rd one to the bow. I had to fabricate a mount for the bow, but I was able to place it in the perfect position to create an ideal tie down angle. Until I can get to a welder to put a bead on the bolt threads, I used my Dremal to cut notches in the end of each bolt and split the threads apart to make it very difficult to remove the nut. If someone wants the Boat Buckles again they're going to have to work a lot harder to take them off.
IMG_2311.JPG IMG_2310.JPG IMG_2312.JPG

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Makes me want to add a "telltale mark" to mine so if they ever went missing I could check the parking lot every week until I found them!

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
When I went back to the lake today, I spoke to the National Forest Service guys at the entrance who manage Saguaro Lake (where my Boat Buckles were stolen). They said last weekend, they also had reports of someone stealing spare tires off trailers. They also pointed out that trailer parts theft is becoming a real problem for overnight stays and night fisherman when no one is around the docks or parking areas. Now I need to figure out a way to lock down the spare tire. I guess a hole in one bolt with a small padlock or maybe a single keyed lug nut if I can find one long enough for the bolt. What have others done to secure the spare tire?
IMG_1875.JPG

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wow bummer, low life everywhere. I have a stock galv. trailer with factory transom straps and straps go in truck after. I see much nicer trailers at the ramp than mine looks. Never gave much thought about theft. Your pics of splitting the bolt should work, it does look mushroomed enough, but i would probably give it a shot with a hammer to make sure. A spot of weld on the threads is best. You could try to back off the nut and check the resistance. But if that split bolt is visible, it could be a deterrent for the next a!/?ole. You could put a dash cam in your rear window.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I drilled a bolt on my spare tire mount and use a combination lock (can't forget to bring the key that way).

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On my spare I also drilled a hole and used a lock. Unfortunately lock cutters are cheap but it will stop the lazy ones. A weld bead on the bolt threads is a good deterent. We used to do this on warn winch mounts. Cam.,