• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat buckles...anyone use them?

DrGamecock

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
anyone installed boat buckles on their trailer? The transom straps always come loose on my trailer and I thought I would install the boat buckles to keep it solid for a drive to Edisto Island next month. I keep my boat in a wet slip but wanted a more secure solution for when I do trailer. The way the boat buckles sit on the trailer, it looks like the boat might hit them when loading/unloading.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lots of us installed boat buckles on all different models. I have an AR230, not the FSH like yours. But I don't think there is any major difference as far as boat buckles are concerned.

In my opinion, the boat buckles are hands-down the single best add-on. I don't even know why they make anything else. Do it and don't ever look back :D You will never regret having them :thumbsup:

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'll echo @maboat statements. an excellent add on. I haven't added a third on to the bow hook yet but plan to.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I put them on my Yamaha but on my new boat I haven't yet and it is that big of a deal for me. Once other mods/upgrades get done I might add them but so far of a year without them I don't miss them.

viper15

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have them on mine and I love them. Quick, easy and effective. One thing I've notice though ... I always ensure they are tight along with the bow winch after loading. All is good and we trailer away. But I've occasionally checked the boat buckles a day or two later, or whenever we trailer to our next outing and find the boat buckles have loosen a tad and need another click or two to tighten back up. I think they loosen up a bit for one of two reasons 1) As the boat wiggles while trailering, it pulls on the boat buckle straps a bit and tightens the strap, thus needing a click or two more to tension them back up. 2) As the strap dries it allows one to tighten the strap up a bit more than when wet. Either way, it's good to check them a while after you have loaded the boat.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
anyone installed boat buckles on their trailer? The transom straps always come loose on my trailer and I thought I would install the boat buckles to keep it solid for a drive to Edisto Island next month. I keep my boat in a wet slip but wanted a more secure solution for when I do trailer. The way the boat buckles sit on the trailer, it looks like the boat might hit them when loading/unloading.
In the meantime, if you do a quick 10mph hard stop (after loading) and then tighten/re-tighten straps - should not come loose after that.

--

Av8tor07

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I just installed a pair. I like them a lot. I had to drill into the trailer for the best possible fit.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Installed them on my last boat's trailer...and they came stock on the new one! WOOT!
Not to be smart alec, but new boats come with retractable transom tie downs, not to be confused with boat buckles brand. There is a big difference, I have had both. Can wait to replace mine, just didn't have the time.

--

DrGamecock

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My trailer did not have retractable straps.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I put either the Reese or the Fulton stainless retractable straps on my FSH trailer, no clearance issues loading and unloading. I do plan on drilling new holes in the sides to mount them though, they are at a very odd angle right now.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Not to be smart alec, but new boats come with retractable transom tie downs, not to be confused with boat buckles brand. There is a big difference, I have had both. Can wait to replace mine, just didn't have the time.

--
I had Boat Buckle brand on my old boat and if what you say is true, a different brand on the new boat....and never noticed the difference.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had Boat Buckle brand on my old boat and if what you say is true, a different brand on the new boat....and never noticed the difference.
Boat Buckles are Boat Buckles. Comparing those to Reese or whoever makes the OEM ratchet tie downs is like comparing SeaDek to Hydroturf:
Yes, they are both ratcheting tie downs.

--

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Boat Buckles are Boat Buckles. Comparing those to Reese or whoever makes the OEM ratchet tie downs is like comparing SeaDek to Hydroturf:
Yes, they are both ratcheting tie downs.

--
I disagree, I swaped the stock ones with Boat Buckles from my old boat and the BB's are much smoother and ratchet nicer. I've had these BB's for a 4+ years and they still work great.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I disagree, I swaped the stock ones with Boat Buckles from my old boat and the BB's are much smoother and ratchet nicer. I've had these BB's for a 4+ years and they still work great.
I think you misunderstood him. He prefers boat buckles. I haven't noticed any difference your results may vary.

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use the Reese Powersports (2060300) 43" rated for 833 pounds (2500 break strength) on both my jet ski trailer and my new combo trailer. I do not salt water-dip, so I went for strength over corrosion resistance. I also spray them once a year, and when storing the boats, I always unhook the straps and allow them to retract which I think helps the springs last longer. They have proven very reliable over the years (owned a set for over 7 years now) and never had a failure.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P3IAYSC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use the Reese Powersports (2060300) 43" rated for 833 pounds (2500 break strength) on both my jet ski trailer and my new combo trailer. I do not salt water-dip, so I went for strength over corrosion resistance. I also spray them once a year, and when storing the boats, I always unhook the straps and allow them to retract which I think helps the springs last longer. They have proven very reliable over the years (owned a set for over 7 years now) and never had a failure.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P3IAYSC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sure, I have those too, lubricate them generously, they function okay. Those come with the factory trailer. But having had real boat buckles in the past nothing else will make me happy, could be in my head, LOL.

--

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use the Reese Powersports (2060300),...
Sure, I have those too, lubricate them generously, they function okay. Those come with the factory trailer. But having had real boat buckles in the past nothing else will make me happy, could be in my head, LOL.--
I agree with @swatski and @Coheeba :thumbsup:
I have had both and while they both are similar, I find the true BoatBuckles to be better than the others. The Reese are decent and if they are already attached to a new boat, I would probably keep them (and lubricate them generously). But if I am ever in the market to buy a new set I will definately stay with the true BoatBuckles.

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with @swatski and @Coheeba :thumbsup:
I have had both and while they both are similar, I find the true BoatBuckles to be better than the others. The Reese are decent and if they are already attached to a new boat, I would probably keep them (and lubricate them generously). But if I am ever in the market to buy a new set I will definately stay with the true BoatBuckles.
Interesting. I've only had experience with the Reese, so actually I can't compare fairly. I did notice that the Boat Buckles were rated lower pound-wise but I'm sure that does not really come into play.

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Apparently you can pick them up for free at any boat ramp. Not sure if this site or the other unnamed site someone had them stolen off his trailer. I only tell you this as if you do put them on consider buggering up the threads or something.