• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat creeping at 1 mph while in neutral

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I am having a problem with my SX 240 creeping at 1 mph while it is in neutral. I tried to adjust the buckets so that they are within specs. The port jet bucket is exactly 1 inch open while in neutral and the starboard nozzle is 1 1/8 inch open. The creep is worse now that I have the Ultimate fins with mega fangs. The problem is that I have no more adjustment threads left on the arm that controls the buckets, I am getting dangerously close to the ends.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to address this. The creep is very prominent.

Thanks for any help!
Brian

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The boats will move a little depending on how you adjust the buckets but it should not be a more forceful motion in neutral. The goal is to have the buckets fully out of the way when going forward and to have a balance between forward and reverse for neutral. I think this adjustment may be in your manual. You can also try it and check the results. As new as your boat is I can't imagine something is worn out already causing a problem. I can get a copy of the adjustment process if you need it. There are also several you tube videos on this.

Osric

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I am having a problem with my SX 240 creeping at 1 mph while it is in neutral. I tried to adjust the buckets so that they are within specs. The port jet bucket is exactly 1 inch open while in neutral and the starboard nozzle is 1 1/8 inch open.
I'm unlikely to be of any help but maybe photos would be useful to those who know how to adjust these.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree @Brian_NY. 1mph is excessive. That assumes you are in low idle mode, not no wake mode. You should find more adjustment at the cable ends in the throttle quadrant. There is info in the FAQ section as to how to access these cables. @Speedling did a nice write up on the older throttles that should be pretty much the same as the older ones.

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I was not aware that I could adjust the rods at the throttle quadrant. The boat was in calm water at the launch in "neutral", no wind or tide and the boat was creeping according to the speedometer at 1 mph. Very noticeable for sure. I had to keep bumping into reverse to keep from going ahead. I will look in the FAQ for more info when I get home from work. Thanks

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was not aware that I could adjust the rods at the throttle quadrant. The boat was in calm water at the launch in "neutral", no wind or tide and the boat was creeping according to the speedometer at 1 mph. Very noticeable for sure. I had to keep bumping into reverse to keep from going ahead. I will look in the FAQ for more info when I get home from work. Thanks
Yes @Brian_NY The cables are threaded and adjustable at both ends.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Do understand that the engines running means impellers are spinning ad pushing water. The gate is simply a balance of forward and reverse to find a happy medium.
I like moving forward slowly in neutral actually. It allows me to creep up to a dock or raft up with very little speed. I find it perfect with the thrust directional enhancers from JBP as well so i can side step right to the dock for fuel or whatever.
Hope it gets to where you want it but there is no neutral!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
See where the reverse buckets are sitting when in neutral the buckets are supposed to balance out the amount of forward and reverse thrust to create neutral it usually is not all that accurate and the boats will move forward a bit, the cables at the bucket attachment may be the only thing you need to adjust if you lengthen the cable adjustment to it drops the bucket a bit lower , you will create less forward and more reverse thrust Also the buckets must be even with each other or you end up with the boat wanting to rotate one way or the other.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
See where the reverse buckets are sitting when in neutral the buckets are supposed to balance out the amount of forward and reverse thrust to create neutral it usually is not all that accurate and the boats will move forward a bit, the cables at the bucket attachment may be the only thing you need to adjust if you lengthen the cable adjustment to it drops the bucket a bit lower , you will create less forward and more reverse thrust Also the buckets must be even with each other or you end up with the boat wanting to rotate one way or the other.
Hey Jeff, with the cobras you think his effect would be more distinct the way they channel the water?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
well the mega fangs create more useable reverse thrust so they could cancel out some of the forward creeping but I think he just needs the reverse buckets lowered a small amount or his idle setting is too high

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Does anybody know what the idle rpm should be. I though it was too high at 1300 rpm x 2

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
@rkluck if you can get me adjustment procedures I would appreciate it.
Thanks

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does anybody know what the idle rpm should be. I though it was too high at 1300 rpm x 2
That is higher than my older boat.

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Can someone tell me where and how to adjust the bucket link from the opposite end of the bucket please. Thanks

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This is from a 2010 but it will give you a good idea as to what it should look like.

Attachments

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Thanks for this, I really appreciate it.