• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat sank engine still cranks over

Mcrae

Reaction score
Boat Make
California
Year
Boat Model
Calais
Boat Length
I have a 1973 chetta jet boat with olds 455.let somebody drive it while I was bbqing on shore.next thing sheriff's are taking my info because the person driving sunk it supposably hit a buey.been cranking it by hand to get water out of cylinders.somhow battery still works and starter cranked it over with a screwdriver just trying to get the water out of engine.any suggestions would be much appreciated

Had to hire divers to get it out.was 2 miles out 20 feet deep.i quests my question is should I put the time in to try and save the engine.or just start over

Remove the spark plugs, actuate starter to spray water out of the cylinders, spray oil into cylinders then repeatedly change the oil until it is not milky.

Salt water or fresh water?

If it has just come out of the water and has not sat around rusting I would try to save the engine.

Ya I did that.drained water out of oil pan also.honestly oil looks good haven't pumped it out yet but pretty surprised.it was under water for 3 days

Also soak all electrical parts with silicon spray I have a way to reuse the oil and drive out the moisture if you email me i will share this with you but it is top secret. The clock started as soon as you removed the engine from the water. I would have that engine running today not tomorrow.

Last edited:
Ordered a pump from Amazon to get it out plus I pulled the filter.

I would stay up all night getting that engine running time is important.

I agree it's Worth a shot right.thank you for any info really helpful

Ordered a pump from Amazon to get it out plus I pulled the filter.

I would not wait for a pump to arrive. I would get the oil out now.

Once you have clean oil run her up to operating temp to dry out any water that was left. I would suggest running her for hours on the lake but I am assuming the hull has issues.

If you really want to save the engine do it now not tomorrow or the next day I would be getting that running I would be soaking all the electrical connections and devices with silicon spray and I would be placing a hair dryer in the oil breather to dry out the inside of the engine . I would also spray silicon in the cylinders to protect the rings

Ok.at this point the electrical is shot.just turning it over with a screw driver.to get the water out I rewired the boat a year ago.did a bunch of work to it.and it ran great till fuck face sunk it and didn't even pay any of the bill to get it recovered.i have been told to spray carb cleaner in cylinders.did that cranked it over and sprayed it in my eye so I wore glasses next time and got most of it out

Any oil that u guys recommend to put in cylinders.im going to pull engine tonight and pull oil pan.thanks to everyone for giving me advice for this situation.will let you guys know what happens.thankyou

Any oil that u guys recommend to put in cylinders

Fogging oil.

Is that hull repairable?

Would insurance cover any of this?

Does the U-boat Captain have any insurance that might cover the damage that he caused?

No unfortunately it was the first time we took it out.and was just testing it.did so much work on it just to see if it did ok.my stupidity for not having insurance but definitely will next time .is what it is I guess

People not use to jet boats will let off the throttle in situations leaving them no steering control. I’ve had jet boats and wave runners, when in doubt throttle up and cut the wheel.

you will probably need to get water out of the fuel tank as well , try siphoning from the lowest point of the tank and let that fuel sit in a jug to see if water is in the fuel.

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news. The motor was running when it sucked in a cylinder full of water. That would cause it to come to an abrupt stop. I hope you don't have a bent rod due to the abrupt stop.

Back