• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bought a new Ram; need extended warranty opinions

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
They eat Cams due to shitty rollers. No recall, FCA hasn’t decided to do anything about it. It happens quite often. The exhaust manifold bolts also snap due to the stock manifold warping under heat. This one has been an issue for a long time, but again FCA hasn’t issued a recall and apparently doesn’t plan to. Just my 2 cents.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had 2 chevys and mechanically they were solid, but they were rust buckets. I drove a rented brand new F150 to Florida and back this summer- no way I buy one of those as it had a cheap all around"feel" to it. The interior was not appointed well and just seemed, well, cheap. Then again, it is a Ford. Plus getting stopped 4 times for tail lights out (it was some sort of short) on a brand new truck didn't help.

I have had 2 Ford Crown Vic police cars which were both POS, so maybe I am biased. Every Chevy police car (except that Citation back in the 80s) was superb, from a Malibu to the Caprice. But the best police cars I had were my last 2, both Chargers with the Hemi and I ran the hell out of those cruisers and couldn't break them.

I also drove a rented Nissan Titan to Florida the next time. Fully loaded, but you knew you were driving a big truck. Then rented a Ram. It was like driving a luxury car. Came back home and they were giving them away, so it was a no brainer. I was a chevy guy for life, but that life has ended. And the ONE TIME I got out on my boat in 2019, I didn't even know I was towing anything. The power is superb, especially when I want to pass some slow poke on the highway. I've put about 5000 miles on it with a couple trip to Florida this summer, and it still keep me smiling. As my last two police cruisers were Dodges with the Hemis, I figured WTF and bought the Ram and love it. Haven't looked back. So far.....

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They eat Cams due to shitty rollers. No recall, FCA hasn’t decided to do anything about it. It happens quite often. The exhaust manifold bolts also snap due to the stock manifold warping under heat. This one has been an issue for a long time, but again FCA hasn’t issued a recall and apparently doesn’t plan to. Just my 2 cents.
It partly has to do with the MDS system, too. Non-MDS engines have much fewer issues with lifters. As an aside, GM also has a problem with cams and lifters in their AFM equipped V8 engines. They haven't issued a recall either, to my knowledge.
I've come up with a custom tune and done the reprogramming to several GM trucks to allow the use of an AFM-delete cam and lifter kit. Seems to resolve the issue.

As far as exhaust manifolds and bolts, all three American manufacturers have the same issues with warping and broken bolts, so you can't really call out any specific make as having more of a problem than any other one. I've even seen some of the imports starting to have this issue, particularly the turbo equipped engines it seems like.

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I hear ya, ya Hemi fever and Jey Greene both Offer cams and tunes to fully remove mds from rams, just not something I want to do atm.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had 2 chevys and mechanically they were solid, but they were rust buckets. I drove a rented brand new F150 to Florida and back this summer- no way I buy one of those as it had a cheap all around"feel" to it. The interior was not appointed well and just seemed, well, cheap. Then again, it is a Ford. Plus getting stopped 4 times for tail lights out (it was some sort of short) on a brand new truck didn't help.

I have had 2 Ford Crown Vic police cars which were both POS, so maybe I am biased. Every Chevy police car (except that Citation back in the 80s) was superb, from a Malibu to the Caprice. But the best police cars I had were my last 2, both Chargers with the Hemi and I ran the hell out of those cruisers and couldn't break them.

I also drove a rented Nissan Titan to Florida the next time. Fully loaded, but you knew you were driving a big truck. Then rented a Ram. It was like driving a luxury car. Came back home and they were giving them away, so it was a no brainer. I was a chevy guy for life, but that life has ended. And the ONE TIME I got out on my boat in 2019, I didn't even know I was towing anything. The power is superb, especially when I want to pass some slow poke on the highway. I've put about 5000 miles on it with a couple trip to Florida this summer, and it still keep me smiling. As my last two police cruisers were Dodges with the Hemis, I figured WTF and bought the Ram and love it. Haven't looked back. So far.....
My favorite patrol car was a 2011 charger! Stepped in to it from a 145000 mile 07 vic. Was night and day. That hemi is amazing.

I now have a ford Taurus .... it is a biggest pos. The town is trying to mile them out and get ride of them. My problem is I cant get outta the damn thing! The numbers say it is close to a charger but in everyday driving there is no comparison! MOPAR!