• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bought a new Ram; need extended warranty opinions

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought an 06 f250 with the 6.0.... I bought an extended warranty with it for 1100 bucks... they paid out approximately 2400 bucks for multiple little items from the previous owner allowing it to sit for 2 years. So take solace in the fact that I beat my extended warranty company!... of course they denied the rear end rebuild that was way expensive but I still got my money out and ththeththen some.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I am in the car business, "Ram" dealer actually, FCA stopped offering the lifetime at the end of November 2018, the Ram warranty you are asking about that is sold and backed by FCA is a Maxcare. There are several different options available now in terms of time and miles. They now offer several terms in years with unlimited mileage. I do not advise a customer to purchase an extended service contract for fear of mechanical breakdowns, as stated in previous comments the longevity of vehicles has grown substantially over the last 15 years. My main focus when explaining the benefits of an extended service contract is technology. The amount of technology in vehicles today is staggering and will only continue to increase. Technology can not be "maintained" it either works or doesn't, there is no in between. Once the manufacturer standard basic warranty expires you are left with a power train warranty and on your own for the technology. I am a firm believer in the Maxcare warranty as I have seen many instances of a customer having the coverage save them from a very large service bill. One final thing to think about is during the initial warranty or "bumper to bumper" somewhere around 15,000 parts are covered, after that expires the power train covers roughly 150 parts. JMO

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm currently in the same boat, so to speak. Had my Ram a year now and getting calls from FCA about adding and extended bumper to bumper warranty out to 8yrs 100k for 3 grand. I know extended warranties are a ripoff, but I'm still considering it, lol
if fac is fidelity run as fast as you can, horrible reviews adI ve sued em a few times for clients

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
if fac is fidelity run as fast as you can, horrible reviews adI ve sued em a few times for clients
FCA is Fiat Chrysler America. The parent company / manufacturer of Ram.

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I wish I would have had an extended warranty on MY dodge ram 1500. It is an 07, so not the exact same truck but I have had more than 3 repairs north of $1500 bucks before the 150k mile mark. Power steering leak that lead to them discovering an issue with water pump, that was $2k by the time they did everything, multiple front end issues, and most recently the Vehicle Power controller computer thingy,,,,

Overall its still been a god truck, but I could have 'won' on a $2k extended warranty to 125k miles.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Quick question. I unloaded my Chevy and forgot to yank the trailer hitch off of it. Where is the best place to purchase one, and of course, what size are (is my) ball? For an MFI stock trailer that came with a 2008 SX230. Thanks.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Welcome to Ram club! Check out 5thgenrams forum... best place for this info.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks, Adrian. Just snagged a $250 rebate because of the Ram forum. Anyone else, what size ball do I need for my stock MFI trailer for a 2008 SX230? Thanks.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wal-Mart, AutoZone, Home Depot, Lowe's, ORiellys, Pep Boys, Napa or any truck supply store will have the draw bar and ball you need.

I don't have a 2008 but I would bet it's a 2in ball. 1-7/8 is for lighter duty trailers, and 2-5/16 is usually used on much heavier trailers.

No idea how much lift/drop you'll need. That is VERY setup specific.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wal-Mart, AutoZone, Home Depot, Lowe's, ORiellys, Pep Boys, Napa or any truck supply store will have the draw bar and ball you need.

I don't have a 2008 but I would bet it's a 2in ball. 1-7/8 is for lighter duty trailers, and 2-5/16 is usually used on much heavier trailers.

No idea how much lift/drop you'll need. That is VERY setup specific.
2” ball, I use a 3” drop hitch with the truck with the mfi trailer and the SX230.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks...just remembered a neighbor gave me one 15 years ago with my firs Yamaha...guess it's time to get a new one!

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have Max care on my 18 ram 1500, it’s covered for life, My wife loves it so now it’s hers, once the kids are old enough to drive it will go to one of them, as long as it stays in my name, no matter the mileage,it’s covered untill it becomes to costly for FCA then they just cut me a check for the difference. The electronics in newer vehicles are insane along with the price tag to repair them, in 5 years I don’t want to be eating that lol. FCA has some rules with the plan I.E lifting,aftermarket parts and inspections at specific mileage, which I am good with all. The Max care warranty front FCA and 10k back of MSRP all day long makes it hard to say no to a new RAM over Chevy/Dodge.

Farmdog267

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think many of the newer vehicles with the more expensive audio systems, and all the heated power options are just huge liabilities. The extended warranties usually sell themselves. Even the motors for the basic power windows and power locks are crazy money if and when they fail.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How do you like the Ram 1500 compared to the Silverado?

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
New Ram trucks come with a 3 year, 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty and 5 years , 60,000 mile power train warranty. I have never understood why anybody would purchase a extended warranty 5 or 8 year plan when in reality you are only getting an extra 2 years on the 5 year plan and 5 years on the 8 year plan as they Start immediately, not at the end of your current factory warranty. I would wait till you have it a couple of years and see if you have any issues. If you haven,t and do regular maintenance, you will probably never need the extended warranty. My 2 cents?

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
There’s a recall on the hemi’s but they’re not telling you about it unless your motor blows I have had my friends for five weeks right now.Ask your dealer about it

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A recall is usually safety related and is mandatory notification. That's B.S. if they're not telling people that there is something wrong with the motors that is a safety issue. I would think if someone gets hurt there'll be one hell of a lawsuit if they weren't properly notified.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
OK it’s not a recall I guess it’s like a known defect I’ll find out exactly what it is when I get back to New York this week and let you know I tried to look it up online and when you Google ram recalls the numbers are staggering.