• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bow/anchor locker hatch lock - replacement

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Fixing my 2016 AR240, finally got the bow (anchor) locker lid delivered. Boy, this piece is heavy! - maybe 15-20lbs.
upload_2017-9-7_15-23-16.png

I intend to replace the bow/anchor lid lock (#20 below) with the ski locker lock (#27) - for added safety. Wonder if anyone has done that?
(I lost my bow/anchor locker lid when it slammed open in the middle of Atlantic... en route to Bimini this year)

I have all the parts now and getting ready to put it together. The ski locker lock assembly is a tad wider than the bow locker so I would need to bore out the opening in the lid which is not an issue.
Just wondering if I am overlooking any other obvious issues... I sometimes do that!

Here is the parts fiche:
upload_2017-9-7_15-17-45.png

Bow locker lock:
upload_2017-9-7_15-18-50.png

Ski locker lock:
upload_2017-9-7_15-18-18.png

--

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I replaced the latch on my anchor locker with a slam latch from GEM products and added a gas strut. The latch is awesome. Real stainless steel, top quality and easier operation. If you already have to buy a new latch, it's just a little bit more.

This is the one I purchased as a direct replacement on my 2011. All I had to do was move the catch and bolt it in place. I am in the process of replacing the clean out hatch and ski locker with the same product.
http://www.gemlux.com/catalog/2-5-Non-locking-Slam/5251-420-16MM

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I replaced the latch on my anchor locker with a slam latch from GEM products and added a gas strut. The latch is awesome. Real stainless steel, top quality and easier operation. If you already have to buy a new latch, it's just a little bit more.

This is the one I purchased as a direct replacement on my 2011. All I had to do was move the catch and bolt it in place. I am in the process of replacing the clean out hatch and ski locker with the same product.
http://www.gemlux.com/catalog/2-5-Non-locking-Slam/5251-420-16MM
Fantastic - thank you!
Looks great, and the price is actually about half of what the OEM bow latch cost.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, I finished installing the new bow locker lid (w/nav lights, SeaDek etc.) and answered my own questions about the lock assembly.
Basically, the ski-locker lock (that actually locks) does not fit as the stem hits the ladder under the lid.
I am going to finish this with the GEM lock - thank you @Bill D! The OEM is just awful, and I am going to return it. No wonder it unlocked on me, it is junk.
The good news is, my boat is getting put back together pretty fast. I just had a little impeller issue today, as I found some rocks... Will post somewhere else.
Here is the locker lid back up, missing the lock, but it' already better. Just like everything else in this damn boat, I'm slowly rebuilding the whole (new) thing, lol.
upload_2017-9-10_21-8-5.png

upload_2017-9-10_21-9-6.png

--

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, I finished installing the new bow locker lid (w/nav lights, SeaDek etc.) and answered my own questions about the lock assembly.
Basically, the ski-locker lock (that actually locks) does not fit as the stem hits the ladder under the lid.
I am going to finish this with the GEM lock - thank you @Bill D! The OEM is just awful, and I am going to return it. No wonder it unlocked on me, it is junk.
The good news is, my boat is getting put back together pretty fast. I just had a little impeller issue today, as I found some rocks... Will post somewhere else.
Here is the locker lid back up, missing the lock, but it' already better. Just like everything else in this damn boat, I'm slowly rebuilding the whole (new) thing, lol.
View attachment 63895

View attachment 63896

--
Didn't you know Yamaha boats are supplied in kit form? :rolleyes::winkingthumbsup".

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I forgot to post the final pics on the GEM lock install - it is GREAT! Needed some tweaking to make it lock super tight, but it is a very well designed and robust lock that is easy to adjust without any manufacturing.
upload_2018-2-27_14-50-36.png
Here is the bottom:
upload_2018-2-27_14-51-49.png

I'll try to shoot pics of it locked, I don't have them.

Highly recommend this locking mechanism, it is less expensive than the OEM and much higher quality.

--

Gofish206

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I forgot to post the final pics on the GEM lock install - it is GREAT! Needed some tweaking to make it lock super tight, but it is a very well designed and robust lock that is easy to adjust without any manufacturing.
View attachment 69473
Here is the bottom:
View attachment 69474

I'll try to shoot pics of it locked, I don't have them.

Highly recommend this locking mechanism, it is less expensive than the OEM and much higher quality.

--

That looks great can you take a pic of underside and latch. Thanks

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
#yamaha, this would be a nice upgrade.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

tonyGinFL

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Great mod -on my bucket list for my ‘17 242

Ibmrussell2

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

2.5" NL, Beveled Face/Thin/16MM

JetBoatPenguin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone know what size to replace for the ski locker on an 2010 Ar240? I stepped on mine and it broke off. Really like to upgrade to the GEM slam lock...locking version.