• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Brand new Hull with bubbles, paint problem ???

rojda

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Can you post the questionnaire that you had to fill out for Yamaha to consider repairing it?
Was the blistering only on the chines?

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My question here with regards to this is what do I do in this situation as I have been at the mercy of this dealer and Yamaha on this $100k+ boat and am still in limbo?????????
It seems this isn't universal, but when I was going through gelcoat issues with my 2020 and the dealer kept saying it was Yamaha that was slowing them down I got out of the middle of it. I luckily had a survey come to me that I was very honest about this whole situation taking way longer than it should have. Someone from Yamaha reached out to me. I said welllll it seems everyone it pointing fingers. I'm not interested in the finger pointing game, here's the dealership, you call them and sort out the problem to get my boat back. By the end of the week my boat was "done". They completely overlooked 2 different areas I already pointed out to be fixed. Those were all fixed and the boat back to me in another week. SO what should have been a 2 week fix, turned into a couple of months. Moral of this story I suppose is somehow get out of the middle and get Yamaha to get on the dealer to quit fuckin around and get your boat fixed.

jackoj

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
My question here with regards to this is what do I do in this situation as I have been at the mercy of this dealer and Yamaha on this $100k+ boat and am still in limbo?????????
I feel bad for whomever that purchases your boat. More blisters will show up in other areas, the sides were for last place to show up for me.

Grasshopper

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
Same issues just noticed yesterday. Purchased a 2022 end of last summer. Now this blistering is all over the hull. Watching this thread. IMG_7762.jpeg

Last edited:

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

rojda

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Any 2023 model boats having this issue?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

ryangray76

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It is Just bizarre that nobody in the USA seems to have this issue....

can it be Just a bad batch send to Canada... that's seems odd to me when the US 🇺🇸 have more than 10 Times our market
Same thing happened on my 2023 AR220. And air voids behind. $2200 my dime until we get a response from Yamaha. Hope they reimburse

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Same thing happened on my 2023 AR220. And air voids behind. $2200 my dime until we get a response from Yamaha. Hope they reimburse
Glad to have you on board, sorry we had to meet like this,

Are you in the US ? where at ?

how long has your dealer had the boat waiting for Yamaha to confirm ??

has the blistering gotten worse or spread to other areas since you first noticed it ?

ryangray76

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad to have you on board, sorry we had to meet like this,

Are you in the US ? where at ?

how long has your dealer had the boat waiting for Yamaha to confirm ??

has the blistering gotten worse or spread to other areas since you first noticed it ?
We are in Colorado. Fiberglass guy found the air voids last week and dealer supposedly turned in the claim Monday. Also, when out on hoist dealer found trailer bunks totally loose. I have 11 hours on the boat. Whole reason bought new boat is to avoid issues lol

Jetboat_Johnny

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I had the blistering issue. Got it “fixed” by the dealer and now the areas that were done are blistering over again. Called my dealer and they told me it will not be covered. I’ll have to contact Yamaha now. If it was not for the defect in the first place I wouldn’t be having this issue now.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had the blistering issue. Got it “fixed” by the dealer and now the areas that were done are blistering over again. Called my dealer and they told me it will not be covered. I’ll have to contact Yamaha now. If it was not for the defect in the first place I wouldn’t be having this issue now.
Have them put that in writing. Contact legal
Counsel the following day. Seems like a class action lawsuit will be coming eventually.

jackoj

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
Your dealer fucked up and doesn't want to own up to it. Yamaha Americas/corporate already paid a contractor, in this case, the dealer to fix the problem under warranty.

A properly prepped and re-geled repair is as good as new, perhaps even better. Yamaha corporate isn't going to pay them twice to do the job right the second time. Your dealer botched the work and they're the ones actually responsible, IF they warranty their work. And even if they do warranty their work against workmanship, if you wetslipped your boat after the repair, it may void any written or implied warranty.

Sounds like they're trying to pawn off their shotty work and have you divert your energy complaining to Yamaha, which you should do anyway, but you ought to also push back against the dealer on their shotty repair.

crazy4life

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
if you wetslipped your boat after the repair, it may void any written or implied warranty.
Is that written somewhere that you can't leave your boat in the water?

jackoj

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
Is that written somewhere that you can't leave your boat in the water?
Well...I was more referencing 3rd party repairs. They can make up whatever they like as to what they warranty, if anything at all with regards to their work.

We're also sort of talking about 2 different things here as well. Just about no manufacturer will cover gelcoat blistering, it's generally spelled out in the warranty, including Yamaha's. And osmosis blistering is just one of those things that can happen when you wetslip your boat without bottom painting. With that said, what's happening to these Yamahas is not osmosis blistering, it's some sort of manufacturer's defect, that's why Yamaha is paying for the repairs.

To that extent, gel coat shops typically will also tell you that if you keep your boat in the water for an extended period of time without proper protection like bottom painting, osmosis blistering is one of those things that can happen, and it's not a defect in workmanship thus will not be covered under any warranty. Some places will spell it out in the contract, some places will not but just expect you to know that.

jackoj

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
That's interesting for sure. Yamaha supposedly start sourcing chemicals from a new supplier in the winter of 2021. We've seen boats with this issue on as early as January of 2022 production dates. They really didn't get many complaints until November of 2022 as people finished pulling their boat out of their wet slips.

Your boat was produced in August of 2022. That's potentially 5000 boats produced that may have this issue. It appears Yamaha is adopting a wait and see approach. I'd venture to guess less than 1 in 10 wet slip their new boats.

Much cheaper to repair 500 boats than potentially recalling 5000 problem boats. I think they're hoping for all the problem boats to age a bit or transfer hands a couple times when the problem arise, then they can tell you, we'll it's a old boat that you kept wet slipped, we don't cover blistering.