• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Brand new Hull with bubbles, paint problem ???

Yammi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hi all; I am a Canadian (Ontario) 2022 AR195 owner (with 20 hrs), and have the same blistering issue along the chines of the boat. I'll be getting pictures this weekend, and have been in touch with my dealer (Hully Gully, London, ON). I'm being told that they are aware of the issue and need pics. I am following this thread closely. Is anyone here on the "Yamaha Hull Blisters" Facebook group?
I’m not on that group; but purchased our 2022 FSH 210 from Hully Gully. Our boat is there now being fixed.

Eldo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m not on that group; but purchased our 2022 FSH 210 from Hully Gully. Our boat is there now being fixed.
Are they covering it under warranty?

Yammi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Are they covering it under warranty?
absolutely covered…see the pictures I posted on the first page, only on the chines

Eldo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
absolutely covered…see the pictures I posted on the first page, only on the chines
Just went back and read your initial posts; it’s amazing how similar our issues are! Same starboard side chines, same size/amount of blisters. Do you know if they are stripping the entire hull, or just the affected chines?

Yammi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just went back and read your initial posts; it’s amazing how similar our issues are! Same starboard side chines, same size/amount of blisters. Do you know if they are stripping the entire hull, or just the affected chines?
Just the affected area….hope the blend will be seemless.

jackoj

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
Everyone should join this group and post your pictures. Owners with the bad batch keeping each other updated.

kbell413

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I received a call from my dealer yesterday afternoon regarding my boat. Yamaha has confirmed there is an issue and is taking full responsibility for it. It was explained to me that an adhesion promoter that was used between the gel coat and the fiberglass on the chines and strakes is what is causing this issue for all of us. It has become fairly widespread and my dealer thinks even more owners are going to see this happen on their 2022's.

Yamaha has instructed my dealer to get the boat back from me and provide an estimate to have the affected areas sanded down, built back up and then new gel coat applied. Once the quote is sent to Yamaha they will approve it to be covered under warranty. I need to ask more questions but it sounds like it's more of a spot repair on the chines and strakes as opposed to redoing the entire bottom. I'm also concerned on what the warranty coverage for the repairs will be and who will be responsible for it, Yamaha or my dealer/shop that does the work.

I'm torn between doing this now or waiting until the fall of this year. One reason being my boat is currently stretch wrapped all the way up over the top of the tower and would probably be a real sail to pull 4 hours from MA to NH. The other is despite my dealer assuring me I wouldn't miss any of our already short season here in the northeast, we all know how that goes. I was told by the dealer that there is no concern for structural issues so waiting until the fall shouldn't be a problem. I'm waiting to see that in writing before finalizing my decision though.

Anyone else on here heard a similar story? Thoughts?

Heisenburg

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
If a coating was missed in the process of the build that is causing this issue then they can not just spot fix as it's going to continue to happen if they do not do the entire bottom I'm not excepting a spot fix

Yammi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Got my boat back on Thursday. The shop started to sand down the chines and discovered it was not a fibreglass issue, it was a paint issue. They also had a very close look since it was off the trailer and found more that I did not see. They sanded all the hull from the waterline down, repainted, gel coated, buffed and polished. All covered under warranty. Because it was not a fibreglass issue, the fix was less than 1/2 if the original quote that was approved by Yamaha.

Heisenburg

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
Great news mine was in the shop being worked on last week.

my only concern is if it's a paint issue why would they only do the bottom of the hull and not the sides?

AustinSteel

Reaction score
Boat Make
Bayliner
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hi, My name is Austin and I work with a repair shop adjacent to the Yamaha Dealership at Penny Bridge Marina located in Stony Point, Rockland County, New York. We have had a handful of new Yamaha boats come in with this issue and we have been able to repair them and have had good success doing so. We don’t only deal with boats sold at this specific dealership so if anyone is looking for a proper repair for this problem we are available. We are in constant contact with Yamaha and do all repairs according to their specifications for each job. If anyone is looking for a place to have this repair done please reach out.
(845)269-2521 ask for Tim. Any and all repairs are also welcome but we’ve dealt with this specific issue a good bit so I figured I’d put it out there. Thanks and good luck everyone !

cwax208

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Great news mine was in the shop being worked on last week.

my only concern is if it's a paint issue why would they only do the bottom of the hull and not the sides?
How did this turn out? My 255XD is having this issue- the two reputable boat repair shops in my area both have concerns with Yamaha's proposed fix of just sanding the chines down to remove the defective red material and re-gel coating. One shop won't even quote it and the other said that he'd do it but there would be no guarantee because he's certain I will get a halo of osmosis around the fixes.

jackoj

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
How did this turn out? My 255XD is having this issue- the two reputable boat repair shops in my area both have concerns with Yamaha's proposed fix of just sanding the chines down to remove the defective red material and re-gel coating. One shop won't even quote it and the other said that he'd do it but there would be no guarantee because he's certain I will get a halo of osmosis around the fixes.
Leave your boat in the water for 3-6 weeks and the blisters will be everywhere, then they'll re-gelcoat the entire bottom instead of just doing a patch job.

cwax208

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Leave your boat in the water for 3-6 weeks and the blisters will be everywhere, then they'll re-gelcoat the entire bottom instead of just doing a patch job.
My boat was in for 3 months - it's only on the chines and they have admitted that they used a faulty adhesion agent on that part of the boat. The local shops threw out 15-20k which it sounds like Yamaha will approve but the shops won't put it in writing because they don't want to do it and won't warranty it.

Heisenburg

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
I sold mine back to the dealer My personal opinion is that the entire hull is defective and would need to be redone completely not just the chines

jags313

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I have a 2022 195S and debating buying the extended YES warranty. Currently dont have blisters but boat is trailered. Wondering if any one has figured out when the “bad batch” of boats was produced? Or is it all of them?
If people are willing to share the last 4 digits of their VIN. Mine is E222 so boat was produced E=May, 2= manufacture year 2022, 22= model year 22. So one of the later boats produced for model year 22.

Heisenburg

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
I have a 2022 195S and debating buying the extended YES warranty. Currently dont have blisters but boat is trailered. Wondering if any one has figured out when the “bad batch” of boats was produced? Or is it all of them?
If people are willing to share the last 4 digits of their VIN. Mine is E222 so boat was produced E=May, 2= manufacture year 2022, 22= model year 22. So one of the later boats produced for model year 22.
Mine was a B222

rojda

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Anybody know if any 2023 boats are having this problem? Of course it may be too early to know since it has to be in the water for a while.

Last edited:

JDBoater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
We ordered a 2022 255XD and took delivery of it in June of 2022. We wet slipped the boat for approximately 3 week increments between cleanings putting only 14 hours on the boat throughout the season. At the end of the season we decided to trade the boat in for a pontoon as we figured it would suit our boating situation much better than the 255XD was. Upon pulling the boat and cleaning it to deliver it for trade in late October of 2022 we noticed the gelcoat blistering and immediately contacted the marina we purchased the 255 from. We were told by the dealer that Yamaha does not have to warranty this but they may in "good faith" and to fill out an Osmotic Blistering Questionnaire that Yamaha provided. This was submitted on November 14th of 2022 and the dealer told me to be patient and wait for a response. I reached out periodically and the dealer said that they hadn't heard from Yamaha, but I should be happy with regards to this because that means they are considering the possibility of covering this problem. On Feb 6, 2023 the dealer finally got back to me with a response from Yamaha stating they were aware of the issue and Yamaha planned to correct this issue on our boat. The dealer then stated if we got the boat to them than they would," guarantee priority service in their shop and get our boat right in for the work to be done." We then had the boat fully detailed and delivered it to the dealer on Feb 12, 2023 just 6 days later so this could be squared up promptly and get back to us while they had nothing going on at the marina for the trade in we had penned up in November. I reached out several times with no response and wasn't overly worried as it was still quite a bit of time before the season. Finally in mid-March the dealer called me to say the work on the boat was approved, and they started working on it that day, to my surprise as I was told it was already approved and they would get the boat back to me asap. Fast forward to June of 2023......both myself and the the dealer I was trading the boat in to were both trying to contact the Yamaha dealer many times with responses of the dealer being super busy now that we were in season and it was all done but the boat just had to be wet sanded, polished and would be good to go after the weekend. Another week and a half went by and I personally went to put eyes on the boat, which was no where near getting gelcoat. I got a handful more of complaints from the dealer about how Yamaha was holding them up, just as they have done everytime I contacted them. They said they guaranteed that I would have the boat within a 2 week timeframe and as has been through this whole process I was at the dealers mercy as I didn't really seem to have many options. On June 23rd, after the 2 week deadline the dealer said the boat was not ready once again but said they were going as fast as they could. On the 29th of June, 2023 they blamed Yamaha once again and said they messed up 3 times on the gelcoat and it is a disaster and they almost "threw in the towel" on this whole thing. So here we are with no boat that has 14 hours on it and my short New England 2023 season is 3/5 gone while at the same time losing value on this boat everyday that has been at the Yamaha dealer since February 12, 2023 for a gelcoat repair. I contacted the dealer once again and said this time I am done with the fact that Yamaha, according to them, has postponed a whole season of my boating so it is time for them to discuss with Yamaha how this whole fiasco is to be remedied. I am thinking I have been well more than reasonable in this whole situation and not only have lost a season of boating but also have been hit hard financially with the investment I made in this boat. We even purchased a jetski so we could at least get our son out on the water. The irony and craziest part is that i purchased this new boat with YES warranty so we would not have to deal with problems and not have any downtime in our short boating season with my family and have had our worst boating season ever!!!!

Attachments

JDBoater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
My question here with regards to this is what do I do in this situation as I have been at the mercy of this dealer and Yamaha on this $100k+ boat and am still in limbo?????????