• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Brand new Hull with bubbles, paint problem ???

Way_too_many_kids

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's interesting for sure. Yamaha supposedly start sourcing chemicals from a new supplier in the winter of 2021. We've seen boats with this issue on as early as January of 2022 production dates. They really didn't get many complaints until November of 2022 as people finished pulling their boat out of their wet slips.

Your boat was produced in August of 2022. That's potentially 5000 boats produced that may have this issue. It appears Yamaha is adopting a wait and see approach. I'd venture to guess less than 1 in 10 wet slip their new boats.

Much cheaper to repair 500 boats than potentially recalling 5000 problem boats. I think they're hoping for all the problem boats to age a bit or transfer hands a couple times when the problem arise, then they can tell you, we'll it's a old boat that you kept wet slipped, we don't cover blistering.
So will it be fixed by Yamaha? I didn’t really see a strait answer.

Grasshopper

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
Has anyone had this repaired and seen it happen again in the same or new areas? Curious if this doesn’t show up in the first year, if it means those parts of the hull are ok for the long run.

Yammi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Pulled mine out for end of the year and my issue is back. The boat is back at the dealer, think they are looking at it in the next week or so and they'll be contacting Yamaha. Can't wait to see how this goes.

Grasshopper

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
Pulled mine out for end of the year and my issue is back. The boat is back at the dealer, think they are looking at it in the next week or so and they'll be contacting Yamaha. Can't wait to see how this goes.
Can you tell if it’s the same areas that were previously repaired or new spots?

Yammi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Can you tell if it’s the same areas that were previously repaired or new spots?
Same spot. They were gone when I picked it up from the dealer after they fixed it, but back now.

kbell413

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Update to my situation. My dealer had been given approval to repair my boat 04/23. I decided to hold off until the fall since our season is short enough up here in the northeast. Reached out to the dealer this morning to let him know I am done boating for the season and can bring the boat up to him in the next week or two. This was the response I got:

Korey,

As you know, we had another boat here with exactly the same issues yours does. The description we were given from Yamaha on what was required to resolve the situation proved to be grossly inadequate....dare I say highly inaccurate. We did the work... the results are excellent... BUT, the labor investment required to execute what the vessel actually needed to resolve things was, to say the least, several times what we had been advised. Areas where we were told the bonding agent was confined to were completely incorrect. The bottom features which we were told were not affected and could be ignored were also incorrect. The further the FG techs went, the lower the accuracy of what Yamaha had coached us on went.

As of this writing the warranty claim we submitted to Yamaha for this vessel on March 8, 2023 has not been responded to. Follow up has been ignored. Once we learned what we now know about what this service really requires, and that Yamaha was not forthcoming with the support we had been led to believe we could count on, Irwin ownership became more deeply involved, including making it perfectly clear that NO repair to ANY other vessels with this issue would be performed by this dealership, period. Instead, Irwin approached Yamaha and requested that vessels requiring these repairs be sent back to the factory for resolution. The response? ... "Yamaha doesn't take boats back".

At this point I have been asked to stand down on this. The best course for you to take is to contact our Asst. GM, Tim McClare (included on this message) for additional guidance. He can help answer the numerous questions I'm betting you have. I would ask you to resist calling Yamaha directly until after you have spoken with Tim.

I wish I could offer you more assistance but I've done all that I can up to this point.

Looks like I'm going to have to deal with Yamaha directly on this one. What a shame, I've been a Yamaha fan for years. Numerous motorcycles and boats, never wanted to buy another brand. Now I may never buy another Yamaha product again.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Update to my situation. My dealer had been given approval to repair my boat 04/23. I decided to hold off until the fall since our season is short enough up here in the northeast. Reached out to the dealer this morning to let him know I am done boating for the season and can bring the boat up to him in the next week or two. This was the response I got:

Korey,

As you know, we had another boat here with exactly the same issues yours does. The description we were given from Yamaha on what was required to resolve the situation proved to be grossly inadequate....dare I say highly inaccurate. We did the work... the results are excellent... BUT, the labor investment required to execute what the vessel actually needed to resolve things was, to say the least, several times what we had been advised. Areas where we were told the bonding agent was confined to were completely incorrect. The bottom features which we were told were not affected and could be ignored were also incorrect. The further the FG techs went, the lower the accuracy of what Yamaha had coached us on went.

As of this writing the warranty claim we submitted to Yamaha for this vessel on March 8, 2023 has not been responded to. Follow up has been ignored. Once we learned what we now know about what this service really requires, and that Yamaha was not forthcoming with the support we had been led to believe we could count on, Irwin ownership became more deeply involved, including making it perfectly clear that NO repair to ANY other vessels with this issue would be performed by this dealership, period. Instead, Irwin approached Yamaha and requested that vessels requiring these repairs be sent back to the factory for resolution. The response? ... "Yamaha doesn't take boats back".

At this point I have been asked to stand down on this. The best course for you to take is to contact our Asst. GM, Tim McClare (included on this message) for additional guidance. He can help answer the numerous questions I'm betting you have. I would ask you to resist calling Yamaha directly until after you have spoken with Tim.

I wish I could offer you more assistance but I've done all that I can up to this point.

Looks like I'm going to have to deal with Yamaha directly on this one. What a shame, I've been a Yamaha fan for years. Numerous motorcycles and boats, never wanted to buy another brand. Now I may never buy another Yamaha product again.
I am very surprised that there is not a known class action suit... yet.

ncatovic

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
Unfortunately I am now having this same issue on my 2022 AR250. Will be filing a claim. I do have some concerns on what my best possible resolution is here.

Attachments

Grasshopper

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
I am very surprised that there is not a known class action suit... yet.
How Yamaha responds will set the stage for whether this goes the legal route. A class action from dealers or customers is bad for brand reputation and sales so I hope they will do the right thing, stand behind their product and permanently fix these issues.

drober30

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SD
Boat Length
How Yamaha responds will set the stage for whether this goes the legal route. A class action from dealers or customers is bad for brand reputation and sales so I hope they will do the right thing, stand behind their product and permanently fix these issues.
It seems like named plaintiffs in the class action suit get way more compensation than just being a member of the class, I would most likely pursue this individually with my own attorney. If a class action is granted, you most likely could be included as a plaintiff since you already had a suit. Then there is always the option to opt out.

The good thing is, in my opinion, this falls under the Structural Limited Warranty:

PERIOD OF STRUCTURAL LIMITED WARRANTY. The hull and deck on any new Yamaha Boat shall be warranted against major structural defects in material or workmanship: (i) for the duration of ownership of the first retail owner for personal, family or household use (“Pleasure Use”)

Yammi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
This is what my dealer shared with me...I'm in Canada:
image003.png

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Watching this thread as well.... picked up my 2022 275SD in August 2022. Boat didn't hit the water until last week because of Hurricane Ian last year. I'm rack storing and the boat doesn't spend more than 2 - 3 days in the water at any one time..... but I run salt and brackish water so don't know if that will contribute to the possible issue.

I'm hoping I don't see it on mine..... but I'm still crossing my fingers.

PJFan1977

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
Not happy, reached out to dealer, waiting further information. 2023 252s, only ever used in freshwater (Lake Ontario)...
20231016_101243.jpg20231016_101237.jpg

Grasshopper

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
I saw on a Facebook group (Yamaha boat hull blisters) that Yamaha has paused fixing these because the issue is reoccurring after initial repairs and they want to do more investigation. Anyone heard this?

cwax208

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I saw on a Facebook group (Yamaha boat hull blisters) that Yamaha has paused fixing these because the issue is reoccurring after initial repairs and they want to do more investigation. Anyone heard this?
Yes- My boat was supposed to be shipped out to be fixed this month and they canceled it because their proposed fix isn't working.

jonessix

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Purchased a leftover 22' 210 FSH and put it in the water for the first time this July. We pulled it from our lake about 4 weeks ago and found we are having the same issue. Along the chines only but on both sides and pretty severe. I just reached out to my dealer to let them know about the issue and help me get this resolved. They were really helpful with the one issue we had with the cover, but want to get ahead of this. If anyone has further direction or know of the best way to get this taken care of, I am open ears. Thank you!

\IMG_8053.jpgIMG_8055.jpgIMG_8061.PNG

cwax208

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Yamaha knows it is an issue but their original fix hasn't worked. Last I heard all repairs are on hold until they figure out another way to fix them - local fiberglass shops won't touch it.

YamPat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I got that answer today ....

YamPat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Did not get mine fix in the spring like it was suppose to do because i got delayed and i was about to lose my season of boating.... i heard that one got repaired and it came back...

long story short...i'm Still waiting about Yamaha to find a solution ... i would trade the boat if i would have a offer from Yamaha ... i Hope the 2024 will not have this issue ...