• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Building my own jet boat.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wonder if uShip will go there. It let me enter Calgary to Delft (I did not complete the quote process).

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Well, this is why the purpose of the boat is so important. Is it for the thrill of building a boat? Then start searching stitch and glue boats.
Is it for fishing? Look up cold mold Carolina boats.
Is it for going fast? Look up wood hydroplane boats.
Is it for shallow rocky rivers and you want to jump some berms with the boat? Then building a jet aluminum boat is the way to go. If it is your dream to build this then do it! Is your parent (s) funding this?
It would be cheaper and easier to find a used yamaha exciter or something similar. Since we have no idea what motors, boats etc you have access to, it's hard to give perfect advice.

Either way, I am jealous and wish I could be there building it with you.

Ps. Chines will work just fine for stability combined with that flat bottom. It will be quick but not for much in the way of cutting the waves for sure.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The pictures were not me they were from HIS facebook page. There were no gangs when I was that age, hell I'm not even sure there were pictures back then, b/w polaroid's maybe lol .
I guess my point was that I would want to know if he has the means, the talent, the tools and the ability to carry out a project that demanding before I would take it seriously once I stopped to assess the situation, otherwise we are just wasting our time taking this seriously. I have a grand daughter his age I would not take her seriously if she started asking the same questions.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You totally missed the point . Hopefully other people will see it.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ricardo, keep up the interesting work and you are probably an engineer in the making. Very cool! I think @Speedling is going to help you with this so keep checking back. If you have any engineering questions, I can also hook you up with my son who would want nothing more than to build a boat.... with flashing LED's and lots of speakers.

Ricardo van Oudenhoven

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC,

Why?
I love being outside, the cold, the nature, the freedom, and I love being on water. My first boat was a small polyester boat with only 2 hp, I didn't mind it went slow, I was just happy I was outside. The first engine broke down way to often, whenever it broke down I fixed it, I didn't mind. I enjoyed fixing it. I later bought a 4 hp motor which wasn't in best condition when I bought it, I cleaned it and repaired what was broken. After that it ran smoothly. Again, I enjoyed fixing it.

I always have looked up jet boat video's, how they go over the most rocky shallow water. I loved seeing it. Then after a while I saw people that made their own. So I thought why would I not be able to? Sure it might be difficult, sure it might take me a few years and cost me quite a lot, but I'd accomplish my dream and learn a ton.

So, again, why?
I love boats, building stuff and being outside. Why shouldn't I make something that combines that?

Oh, and I would appreciate it if you wouldn't go on my Facebook and post picture of me on a forum, this might just be me but I find it a bit disrespectful.

Thanks

Ricardo van Oudenhoven

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Is your parent (s) funding this?

Either way, I am jealous and wish I could be there building it with you.

Ps. Chines will work just fine for stability combined with that flat bottom. It will be quick but not for much in the way of cutting the waves for sure.
Thanks a lot,
My parent's aren't funding it, I will try to get sponsors ( I know it might sound a bit dumb but I have many family friends that would like to help along)

Ricardo van Oudenhoven

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
How much mm should the aluminium be? I was thinking like 3mm, maybe a bit less

Last edited:

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Great answer @Ricardo van Oudenhoven You've found something you are passionate about, that's great. Keep posting your progress. BTW, we love pictures!

Ricardo van Oudenhoven

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hopefully I will be able to start in a week, I'm thinking of first making something like this (this is not my boat)

As then I could screw the aluminium on it and then weld it, I think it would be easier. Also, when the aluminium is on it I was planning on making the inside partially of fiberglass, as it'd be easier to cover the corners.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Hopefully I will be able to start in a week, I'm thinking of first making something like this (this is not my boat)

As then I could screw the aluminium on it and then weld it, I think it would be easier. Also, when the aluminium is on it I was planning on making the inside partially of fiberglass, as it'd be easier to cover the corners.
If you are going that far to build a wooden frame, find a supplier of some GOOD plywood. Marine plywood. Maybe find someone that does boat repairs and similar stuff and ask them where you can get a few sheets. Deck it out in plywood! Fiberglass over it, get some fairing compound, sand it all super smooth over and over and get it smooth like a yacht!
BUT, if you plan on hitting rocks, beaching it to hang out, or something along those lines, stick with the aluminum.
As far as how thick the aluminum should be, I have no idea as I've never researched building out of aluminum.

If you want to take building a boat seriously out of wood, please read this:
http://www.westsystem.com/ss/assets/HowTo-Publications/GougeonBook 061205.pdf
It's only 412 pages... I've actually downloaded it to my phone for a day I can actually relax and start reading something important. Right now I'm going through and analyzing a lot of good stuff on
The Hull Truth forums. Awesome guys in there. They will point you right more than we will for sure!!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length

Ricardo van Oudenhoven

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@Speedling ,
Thanks a lot for constantly answering my questions.
I will probably make the hull out of aluminium forst and not make a wooden frame, but will probably make some sort of frame in the front, so that you can easily stand on the front without needing to fear it falling down, same at the back where the motor would be. I'll definitely check out the "only 412 pages"book. The Hull truth seems like a good site, will look at other people's designs as well.

I will make the aluminium 5 or 4 mm at the front and bottom and 3 mm on the sides and back.

I was first planning on already starting this next week with building but will instead keep working on the design, on google sketch up. Also, the pike season is almost ending so will go fishing quite a lot the next few days.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Biggest issue you will have honestly will be finding and purchasing your engine and pump. Get that and we're getting somewhere.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ricardo,

Perhaps you could consider picking up an older jetski / personal watercraft? Since you have the fishing boat already covered, perhaps you might enjoy the freedom and speed of jet power in a ready-made form. You could use the components from the donor jetski when finished using it.

You might find that pre-packaged solution to be a less cost alternative than building your own setup... something to think about.

https://www.apolloduck.com/boats.phtml?next=0&sort=0&fx=USD&id=113&limit=20&maxv=10000

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length