• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Buying 2018 Yamaha SX190, need advice ( Now looking for AR/SX230)

Ando

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am confused as to what the concern is and what direction you guys want me to go? I was looking an brand new sx190 but was told go bigger and get used. Is 2008 too old, to many problems?As much as I read these boats can last forever if taken care of. I have been looking and i see 2013-2014 AR240 for low 30s is it really worth it? I don't even know how many times a month I will be boating so my though process is if I get tired of it quick then its only 20k on payment and I can put it up for sale. If my family I love the whole boating experience I can always upgrade to something better. To get a really nice expensive boat as first time owner with limited boating experience doesn't seem like a great idea.

Tell me if I am completly off track here.
And I do like honest opinion.
Just know I am nowhere close to your experience and none of my famly has boats.

As far as this boat goes I like it as he is the only owner, 120h, seat cushions looks great, 48 year old family men.
He is being a little weird about going into bank and getting a check. He prefers cash in hand and not check in hand lol

Ando

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
older sister? you better get ready to be an uncle because I woke up this morning I looked like 8 month pregnant LOL

I understand that 99% of my posts will lead anyone to believe that I am a professional clown. And my kids do call me "Daddy Clown", and I frankly love being perceived as such. However, somewhere in that 1% you might draw the conclusion that i have formal education in understanding the human mind and mathematical sciences. It also just happened that in the last decade I have been very involved in helping loan sharks manage their credit risk ( remember I am Greek, so I have a moral vacuum). For example, client A says I have a 40% defaults on my portfolio. I looked at my crystal balls and I can tell him/her how to split the portfolio where 25% default less than 20%, 25% default at 80% and remaining are flat at 40%. And this predictions happen before the loan is even booked. The bottom line is that after imputing 79 posts on this thread, my crystal ball says, Ando should not buy a boat. I know I am not being pleasant and not the news that he or anyone wants to hears. Frankly I would love to add another boat on the Bimini fleet, but him pulling another loan with his current credit score will make it very difficult for him to get a "good" loan for something else down the line. It is all great for my client, not so great for Ando though.

I know you mind think that I am cranky because I look like I am 8 month pregnant, but if you take 20 or 30 minutes to read all the posts ( especially Ando's) you will see that this is not a systematic year long disciplined approach of finding a sailboat. This is a itch for a one season stand ;)
I get exactly what you mean. Already have my house and cars. Don't need any loans for few years. When and if I meed another loan then this one can easily be paid off on the spot. That's not the issue.

Ando

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Boat was only used on the lakes.
The guy has $1500 special cover.
Steering wheel looks clean.
The rest we will find out after Thanksgiving.

Financialy I am covered. I am here for an advise and to make sure I paying fair price for the model year. Not here to be told I am not qualified to get a boat or I should save up cash and buy it in few years.
I am not the type to throw cash st everything.
I rather keep the cash and pay $400 a month.

Attachments

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am confused as to what the concern is and what direction you guys want me to go?
I would you to go on the best direction for your family, but it is hard to advice on that unless you start posting your family history on the internet and that is probably a bad idea.

I understand that a $20K experiment is not as bad as $30K experiment.
If I were you, i would take the following steps.
  • keep looking for a boat, but not desperately; just keep an eye.
  • I would be active on the forum so you start forming opinion about members. That will come very handy for when someone decided to sale his/her boat. For example, if I decided to sale my boat you would know that my boat took a biting on the 2017 crossing and you can factor that in.
  • I would also ask for forum member that will be willing to take you and your family out for a day. If were you in DFW, I would gladly take you guys out. That way you can manage the boat and see how the family is behaving on it and how the enjoy it. If you cannot find a forum member to take you out, you can rent a jetboat for a day. I have seem in the LAX area for rent.
  • 240 vs 190. Not many people complain " my boat is too big" . I personally think that for a family of 4 a 190 is perfect. We have long term plans for repeated Bimini crossings and in that case bigger and is better. So if Catalina or Bimini are a one time thing then 190 is plenty. If those trips are more often on the books or you have friends you want to bring on the boat then probably want bigger. If had to buy a boat like NOW, then the 240 in Dallas and 190 from @haknslash will be my top list of go to check out boats.
One final note. If you were spend 6 months actively participating on the forum, then you will not need our advise about what is best for you.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Boat was only used on the lakes.
The guy has $1500 special cover.
Steering wheel looks clean.
The rest we will find out after Thanksgiving.

Financialy I am covered. I am here for an advise and to make sure I paying fair price for the model year. Not here to be told I am not qualified to get a boat or I should save up cash and buy it in few years.
I am not the type to throw cash st everything.
I rather keep the cash and pay $400 a month.
I would jump on it!
All advice here, especially from Mr @Betik the Greek, is given in good faith and good humor!
If you stick around you will see what I mean.

Good luck with this purchase, I had a bid on a 2009 232 for 25k and lost, never seen the boat. But even buying new is a bit of a gamble, unlike with cars there is just so many custom/low volume parts etc. that some things will need attention, new or used.
If this boat looks as good in person as it looks in pictures, and the owner is reasonable, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger. A well maintained 230 YJB will give you boating experience almost impossible to beat in this price range. Incredibly versatile and capable, with room for not one but two families if needed!

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
if you take 20 or 30 minutes to read all the posts ( especially Ando's) you will see that this is not a systematic year long disciplined approach of finding a sailboat. This is a itch for a one season stand ;)
I know. It's almost like someone planning two trips to Bimini on two different boats within one week including two cross country treks with vehicle deliveries... Oh, wait... It's been done!

--

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Betik kind sir I have a 192 for sale not a 190 ;). @Ando this forum is a great resource for info and maintenance. Lots of good folks here! My boat is on the other side of the country but it's nicely appointed, well cared for and documented on here. If you're interested, I will entertain offers if you want to get in touch via messaging me.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I know. It's almost like someone planning two trips to Bimini on two different boats within one week including two cross country treks with vehicle deliveries... Oh, wait... It's been done!
--
Now that I read this I am thinking.... would this be a Huck Finn kind of lifestyle ?
I wouldn't know, but maybe it was done as part of a commitment to the boats captains. Every boat deserves a clown you know. I am sure nothing to do with the rush or challenge such situation presents. Definitely not a trying to top the adrenaline rush July 10th of 2017. LMAO

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Ando, regarding boat size...I had a 18ft for 14 years before I recently upgraded to my sx230. These boats are NICE. Nobody knows your entire situation... take what you read at face value...in this forum, you can absolutely know it is done with your best interest at heart. If boating is for you, a boat will be a fantastic investment in your free time. You won't loose much with a 230 if you change your mind, but I don't have reason to believe that's the case. Just be sure you have a place to store it, and the car that can tow it. Best of Luck!!

Ando

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Appreciate all advise.

Finaclialy there is no issue.
I am a car guy first. To name a few, brand new Corvette Z06, BMW M4, BMW 550i, BMS 335i 800hp built. All my cars were leases except the 335i :)

Now I want to get into boating.
I have a lot if friends and first cousins who I will be taking out with me almost everytime.
I can always upgrade to newer and better.
I got couple options here. Lets see if any deals are made. I will keep you guys updated

Again thank you everyone for your time, opinion and advise.

Attachments

Last edited:

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I would recommend you pursue that AR230 over a new boat. Just make sure you have a plan to store and tow it.

Crlos16

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am confused as to what the concern is and what direction you guys want me to go? I was looking an brand new sx190 but was told go bigger and get used. Is 2008 too old, to many problems?As much as I read these boats can last forever if taken care of. I have been looking and i see 2013-2014 AR240 for low 30s is it really worth it? I don't even know how many times a month I will be boating so my though process is if I get tired of it quick then its only 20k on payment and I can put it up for sale. If my family I love the whole boating experience I can always upgrade to something better. To get a really nice expensive boat as first time owner with limited boating experience doesn't seem like a great idea.

Tell me if I am completly off track here.
And I do like honest opinion.
Just know I am nowhere close to your experience and none of my famly has boats.

As far as this boat goes I like it as he is the only owner, 120h, seat cushions looks great, 48 year old family men.
He is being a little weird about going into bank and getting a check. He prefers cash in hand and not check in hand lol
@Ando I had the same thought when I purchased my first boat “I can always upgrade later on” take it from me with in two months after purchasing my first boat I was ready to upgrade to a bigger boat, I personally would not buy anything less then a 20ft boat, specially if you plan to have more the 8 people on the boat at one time. Just make sure this used boats you are looking at are well taken care off, pay attention to detail and that will let you know if the boat was well maintained.

Ando

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I may be flying out to Weeki Wache Florida for a 2007 AR230.
Looks super clear with new upholstery, brand new seadek and 240h on the engine.
Seller seems like a super nice guy and he bought another boat so trying to get rid of this one.

Anyone in the area that may do me a favor and go checkout the boat? I can Paypal you money :)
I plan to fly out there in January anyone down to take the boats out and have fun at your Florida waters?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I may be flying out to Weeki Wache Florida for a 2007 AR230.
Looks super clear with new upholstery, brand new seadek and 240h on the engine.
Seller seems like a super nice guy and he bought another boat so trying to get rid of this one.

Anyone in the area that may do me a favor and go checkout the boat? I can Paypal you money :)
I plan to fly out there in January anyone down to take the boats out and have fun at your Florida waters?
Sounds like a great find! Good luck and keep us posted!!!

--

Dwrat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Salt water used boat?
I personally wouldn't want a boat that was used in salt.

Ando

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just got this boat checked at mechanic before I buy it.
https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/boa/d/2008-yamaha-ar230-low-hours/6751820986.html

What do you guys think? I am worried about that 75psi compression and that one stock spark plug.
Mechanic said physically you won't find a cleaner boat, but that one engine worries him. He thinks the boat could have been seating for a year or two.
There is also a rattle on the engine when it's turned on. The side that is broken intake grate.

Asking price is $22500

Any advise would be appreciated.

Attachments

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn't worry about the intake great and the impellers seem to be in very good shape.
BUT
A bad cylinder could be a bad engine, no deal. Unless the engines run well in the water (with new plugs?), get to ~10,000rpm, the reading could always be a fluke.

--

Ando

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No deal without test drive on the water!

Mechanic went to the sellers house to check the boat. Couldn't take out the stock plug as he didn't have his tool.