• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Carb Rebuild $$$?

pmorita

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
Finding a puddle of gas in the bilge and lots of blue smoke coming out of the exhaust when I idle. Guessing I have a bad float valve and the bowl is overflowing. Buying three carb rebuild kits at >$100 each. Shocked at the price, but this is my first boat so I'm being told to expect this for EVERYTHING!

Any input on other things that might be causing gas in the bilge or comforting words on prices? If there is a better source than Boats.net for parts, please let me know.

Thanks

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not specifically familiar with your boat. Is it a 2-cycle (I am guessing so). Blue exhaust usually means burning oil, which can mean overmix in a 2-cycle or, in a 4-cycle, some oil leak (wearing rings, etc.). Not sure how a bad float would cause gas in the bilge. Bowl should still be sealed, right? If it overfilled it would just flood the engine... Of course, fuel in the bilge is dangerous. Don't take it out until you get that one nailed down. That is how we get boats on fire...

More than $100 for a rebuild kit?!? Seems pretty rich to me. There is not that much in one of those kits. I would keep looking, but don't have a good suggestion for Sugar Sand parts...

Boatsnhoes

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
I don't know about your issue specifically but I've been looking for carb rebuild kits and they're all $90-$115. I don't think you'll find it for less.

pmorita

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
Update - bought three rebuild kits and did the work last week. Night and day so it fixed the problem. Still shocked that two gaskets, a bunch of screws, float valve and needle valves cost that much.
Now that complaining is done, I can enjoy the boat.
Thanks all for the input.