• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Choice of Dealer

Bugz

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm considering upgrading and am looking at the Yamaha 25's. There is great value in these discussions and I appreciate the members. I was wondering if there are any great benefits to going to a dealer here in the midwest or if I find one cheaper (at least $2,500), better trailer, and going elsewhere. We do most of our boating in Michigan and some in Chicago. However, I'm looking at putting a deposit at a dealer in Florida. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Well, from I have seen an heard and has been indicated in threads here on the forum, it is easier to get in and be prioritized at your selling dealer if you have issues or warranty work. Dealers generally take care of their direct customers a bit more. Whether they should or not is another topic.

@TimW451 my dealer is @Wonderland Marine in Waterford, Michigan. I have never had a problem with them. Ryan Zamler is my salesman and the manager of that location.

I had one dealer tell me this. they prioritize customers who bought from them, and many dealerships do the same. Some will go as far as to only do service/warranty work for customers who bought from them. That's why we only reserved with dealerships near us.

@HangOutdoors @DogDadDave thanks for the input. Just trying to decide if the money saved in the near term is worth the possible headaches with repairs in the long run

If you can do your own maintence and basic repairs (like fixing the anchor locker leak) - go with the best deal.

If you can do your own maintence and basic repairs (like fixing the anchor locker leak) - go with the best deal.

100% this.

Anytime you have to drop your boat off at the dealer, I look at it as if you are saying I won't need my boat for three weeks or more, since an oil change, or basic maintenance is not that much to do

I dunno. To save a couple grand or so on such a big purchase, I would personally prefer to build a relationship with a dealer that is close to me for the things I can't do and big warranty work as well as future purchases. I like to support the geographic area as much as possible and the small business, unless I can't source what I need, or I cannot find the service quality that I need. Plus I get discount's and specials, which are small but over time add up.

I dunno. To save a couple grand or so on such a big purchase, I would personally prefer to build a relationship with a dealer that is close to me for the things I can't do and big warranty work as well as future purchases. I like to support the geographic area as much as possible and the small business, unless I can't source what I need, or I cannot find the service quality that I need. Plus I get discount's and specials, which are small but over time add up.

I can side with this idea up until a certain cost savings. Even then when that dealer ends up providing crap service - then you might as well have saved 2-3 grand. I prefer to support local, but price always comes into play.

We used to always buy Christmas trees from a mom and pop place, they were like $20 more than Home Depot, so not a big deal, plus they had a whole vibe going on. This past year, they were $60-$80 more than the Depot. Told my wife no way and ended up going to Lowes.... the guy there marked down the tree half price for no real good reason lol. Threw him a $10 tip and still ended up saving like $100 over the local. Now we will probably just stick to Lowes for the future.

Long story to say price matters when deciding to shop local or not.

No doubt price matters but it is a perspective. $2k on an 80k boat that you will need to go pick up and drive 800+ miles with gas and lodging and any other hassles is a lot different than $300 on a $1000 item that you can order on Amazon.

Price is always relative and Total Cost is different than price.

That is all I was trying to point out.

I would vote for traveling for a better price with the hopes that you never have to revisit a dealership again. Make it a mini vacation in Florida and come back with a gem.

My dealership is great, but I haven't been back with the boat since I bought it (pre-covid quality). Maintenance is easy and no reason to revisit for a simple 10hr oil change or any other regular maintenance.

Relationships are good, but that is when you have been buying a car, at the same dealership, from the same salesperson for decades. Boats, not so much. If you have to take it in to a Yamaha dealership, you will most likely wait in line with everyone else.

Last edited:
If you have to take it in to a Yamaha dealership, you will most likely wait in line with everyone else.

Not quite accurate. At my dealership and the other two in the area, they move customers in front of those that have not purchased from them. Perhaps some dealerships don't do this.

Regardless, in the current environment, I am sure it is still weeks, not days.

I am not sure I get your point. I would still be in front of non purchasing customers, regardless of how long it is. It just shortens the time frame.

There have been a couple times I wish there was a dealership close to me for things I just want done and don't have the time. 2.5 hour drive one way just isn't an option for me, but overall I've been able to do everything to my boat that I've needed/wanted to so far. A few of those items have had their time shortened by this forum alone! If I were in the new boat purchase situation and I had a dealer close to me I'd start visiting and working on building that relationship with them early before I purchase so that when you come in it gets as close as possible to feeling like they know your favorite adult drink before you're very far inside the door. Not that you would do that at the boat dealership....I think you get what I mean.

Back