• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Clean out plug came out- water in engine bay

tjcarlin

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hello all,

I have a 2016 Yamaha 242S. Yesterday, I was plaining at around 5200 RPMs and I felt I was going slower and planing higher than expected. I looked in the engine bay and saw half the bay full of water. I quickly rushed back to the marina and my bilge had done its job. During inspection, I found that my port side clean out plug came unseated while I was planning and throttled. Usually I’d hear this as the sound is very recognizable and loud. Yesterday I didn’t. The seal must be bad because I cannot get it back in, so new ones are on the way. My main question is, what causes the water to get into the engine bay when this happens? I can’t seem to logically justify how, so I’m hoping someone can help me. Thank you.
My starboard plug is also stuck, so any advice on how to get that loose would be helpful as well.

The big seal around the clean out tray is likely the cause of ingress. Or, possibly a hose clamp on the clean out plug tube is loose. The bottom of the tube should be sealed with sealant as well as a clamp, likely not the cause. The upper connection is just a clamp to a flange on the clean out tray, no sealant. There are inspection ports to unscrew and look in the true bilge under the clean out tray to see if clamps have loosened. Put some water in the clean out tray and see if it leaks into the bilge.

Number 3 here... https://jetboaters.net/threads/the-ultimate-leak-finding-thread-your-opinions-are-needed.6684/

Last edited:
The volume of water that comes out of the clean out when this happens is garbage truck full trying to fill a single trash can.The water volume and pressure just overcome the seals in the clean out tray with this immense disproportionate tidal wave that is a half seated clean out plug.

EZ Locks are the total and permanent solution to the clean out plug becoming dislodged...BUT You are also lacking a bilge alarm based on your feedback omitting any mention of one. It's the bilge float and alarm that will save you if something goes haywire. These are inboards, with many large holes below the water line. My humble personal opinion is that is it criminal for inboard boats to not be factory fitted with a bilge alarm and more generous bilge pump power. It's the difference between a scary day on the water and a day where you lose the boat and/or engines due to water ingestion because you had no idea the bilge was full of water.

Best of Luck!

The big seal around the clean out tray is likely the cause of ingress. Or, possibly a hose clamp on the clean out plug tube is loose. The bottom of the tube should be sealed with sealant as well as a clamp, likely not the cause. The upper connection is just a clamp to a flange on the clean out tray, no sealant. There are inspection ports to unscrew and look in the true bilge under the clean out tray to see if clamps have loosened. Put some water in the clean out tray and see if it leaks into the bilge.

Number 3 here... https://jetboaters.net/threads/the-ultimate-leak-finding-thread-your-opinions-are-needed.6684/
I agree here as well with all those recommending EZLocks. I’ll add to this though as something to consider. It could be that you’re having trouble seating and unseating the plugs because the hose clamps for the tubes they are in are not seated and secured correctly, as mentioned. If they aren’t, then the tube shape can be manipulated, therefore hugging the plug and keeping it from moving up and down as necessary. You said you ordered new plugs, but there’s a chance they are not the problem.

The ring in the tube that secures the clean out plug is aluminum and it has 2 recesses in it for the locking dogs to hold it in place what you're situation describes is the usual issue with the internal locking mechanism releasing under pressure usually due to dirt and sand in the plug since water always gets inside . The plugs have 2 different scenarios the violent blow out that breaks the rear hatch lock and the slight blow out that you don't know happened until one of your engines ingests water I was asked repeatedly to come up with a simple and inexpensive solution to this problem back on the other web site years ago , I did and I still have them available Cobra EZ-Locks
Here are a couple videos for understanding the ezlocks
and
the push button plugs were used from the year 2000 to the year 2016 The lock is placed on the plug with the T handle in the up position , the plug is then placed down in the hole and the T handle is set to secure the plug , the lock closes and the t handle can not release with the lock in place, to remove the clean out plug you simply first remove the lock then press the red button to release the t handle, interestingly if you try to release the lock and the lock will not move it is actually telling you that it stopped a blow out and you simply press down on the T handle to reset it to take the pressure off the lock ends and then it releases easily.
When you see how the locking mechanism works it is easy to understand how water carries dirt and sand etc inside the plug and that gets deposited in the track that the tray moves in , the tray has a round horizontal bar that is pushed into a round cut out in the T handle to secure it, you can pull on the T handle to see if it is locked but if there is any sand etc in the way of the tray it can not lock the T handle bar correctly, since the bottom of the plug is the bottom of your boat there is a lot more force on it than you could put using your hand to pull the T handle up to se if it is secure. Bottom line is you simply install the EZ locks and enjoy the boat. Just like my steering time tested and proven to get the job done . Also learn my reverse move for removing weeds from the intake grate without having to get down in the clean out port with your hands every time you pick up weeds.

We've also seen in the past where a dislodged plug can go sideways and pull the rubber cleanout tube off the mounting and then under rpm your pumping water from the jet into your bilge at a very fast rate and trying to make it to shore under power is a very risky proposition because your still pumping more water in risking flooding your engines,

as mentioned above, a high water alarm would be a great addition, what you experienced is one of the biggest weaknesses of the yamaha and one of the easiest to get early notification,

I would go over all your hoses (even in the bilge) to confirm all are connected and have good clamps and the next trip out would only be for inspection and seaworthiness as the only expectations,

The volume of water that comes out of the clean out when this happens is garbage truck full trying to fill a single trash can.The water volume and pressure just overcome the seals in the clean out tray with this immense disproportionate tidal wave that is a half seated clean out plug.

EZ Locks are the total and permanent solution to the clean out plug becoming dislodged...BUT You are also lacking a bilge alarm based on your feedback omitting any mention of one. It's the bilge float and alarm that will save you if something goes haywire. These are inboards, with many large holes below the water line. My humble personal opinion is that is it criminal for inboard boats to not be factory fitted with a bilge alarm and more generous bilge pump power. It's the difference between a scary day on the water and a day where you lose the boat and/or engines due to water ingestion because you had no idea the bilge was full of water.

Best of Luck!

thankfully I had a much larger bilge installed this off season. I have to agree that an alarm would have been helpful. I knew something was up based upon the way I was planning, and that I saw my bilge working really hard.
I think I’m seeing how this happens now: once the plug becomes unloved and “pops” out, the water floods upwards into the clean out tray (where the plug access is), and that volume of water causes the seal to break, and water then entering the engine bay from there.

I agree here as well with all those recommending EZLocks. I’ll add to this though as something to consider. It could be that you’re having trouble seating and unseating the plugs because the hose clamps for the tubes they are in are not seated and secured correctly, as mentioned. If they aren’t, then the tube shape can be manipulated, therefore hugging the plug and keeping it from moving up and down as necessary. You said you ordered new plugs, but there’s a chance they are not the problem.
This may have happened as I can’t get the plug back in and seated to lock. If this is the case, what’s the fix for that?

This may have happened as I can’t get the plug back in and seated to lock. If this is the case, what’s the fix for that?

What lube are you using on the outside of the plug to ease install/lock. I used this stuff and never had a problem slipping in, seating and locking the older style plugs. Hayward SPX0327 Jack's Formula 1oz. 327 Multilube I use it on our pool too.

Last edited:
thankfully I had a much larger bilge installed this off season. I have to agree that an alarm would have been helpful. I knew something was up based upon the way I was planning, and that I saw my bilge working really hard.
I think I’m seeing how this happens now: once the plug becomes unloved and “pops” out, the water floods upwards into the clean out tray (where the plug access is), and that volume of water causes the seal to break, and water then entering the engine bay from there.
Yes, that’s one route it can go. In my case, the tube became unseated underneath the tray and just filled up the bilge area there and finally made its way into the engine compartment. That could be the case with yours. Remove the little tray under the seat and look at the tubes that your plugs go into. You’ll see a large hose clamp at the bottom and top of those tubes. Check to make sure those tubes are seated well and the hose clamps are at the very top and very bottom ensuring they are keeping the tube snug against the lips of the molding. You’ll see what I mean when you explore that area.

Regarding the plugs securing well, some use a lube such as what @zipper is suggesting, I just pour water down the tube to get the gasket wet. This helps the plug to get down as far as it needs to go to lock in. Once I push the button and it sticks,(which sometimes takes a few try’s) then I pull on that plug three good times to make sure it’s locked in. You want to get EZLocks too.

Cheap water alarm that runs on a 9v battery zip tied to the hoses in the engine compartment with the sensor hanging 2" over the pick up from the bilge pump would have let you know there was an issue. Why boats don't have this as a mandatory item is crazy. It's such cheap technology

What lube are you using on the outside of the plug to ease install/lock. I used this stuff and never had a problem slipping in, seating and locking the older style plugs. Hayward SPX0327 Jack's Formula 1oz. 327 Multilube I use it on our pool too.
I’ve never used anything on them. This is the first issue I’ve had in 8 summers. How often do you apply this to the gasket on the plug?

I applied as needed. Usually only twice a season. If the plugs were hard to install, it was time. Just smear a little bead around the outside of the plug and they will slide right in with little effort.

Alright, y’all. I got around to replacing both seals on the plugs and put the cobra locks on each. My first time setting them with new seals, both went in smooth and locks went in. Took her out and had no issues. Upon returning, when I went to remove the plugs, the same port side plug that failed last time had the cobra lock stuck, so so knew it failed again (inspite of it having a new seal).
My question, do you think it’s just time for a whole new plug, and not just the seal? It’s wild to me because when I take the plug out, the dogs still seemingly lock, but just won’t do it in the seat of the tube. The other plug that I use for the starboard side works fine for each tube. This tells me that the actual plug housing must have something wrong, and replacing it is the next step. Curious to hear y'all's opinions. Thank you.

So you see how the lock tells you the plug tried to blow and was stopped . You just reset the T handle to release the lock if the plug tried to blow , now what you want to try is put the plug in hot soapy water and let it sit then rinse it out really good, and see if the internal device works after that because sand and dirt get in the track and keep the plastic tray from going 100 percent forward and this will allow the lock to release under pressure from the boat going across the water fast.

Yes. Definitely noticed that. Even after I reset the T handle, it was still difficult to get the lock out. I will try and soak the plug and the disassemble to clean. Hopefully that works. Will update…

Ok, often the recess in the tube for the locking dogs gets dirty or corroded clean those out and work the plug in the hot water so the tray moves back and forth hopefully loosening any sand or dirt inside the track that the tray slides in.

Also check were the ''dogs'' engage into the tube mine had an overflow of silicone that needed to be removed just feel with your finger that there is a 90' edge for them to grab. The "dogs" are the things that project out when the clean out plug is in the locked position.

Just found the culprit. I disassembled the plugs to soak in soapy hot water and the spring was all bent and twisted up. I need to see if I can just buy a new spring first and try to reassemble it

Last edited:
Back