• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cleanout tube slot discovery

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I noticed quite a bit of excess silicone in the deck drain hose when I changed my scupper too. There was so much silicone used that the 1 1/2" (roughly) diameter hose only had about a 1/2" opening remaining.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Somewhat related I had starboard side plug come partially out on the water Saturday. It was odd experience, at speed and then starboard motor instantly would die. I opened the hatch, re locked the plug and was on my way.

The port plug was stuck and didn't break free till tonight until after I filled the tube with ice, waited about 1 hr. Then I scooped out the ice, used a dockline and a broom handle with a 2x4 for leverage and popped out the plug.

No silicone noticed, just glad to have plugs out now, although the dealer said I should leave them in all the time. To be fair, could be best way in a saltwater application not sure.

Why would the dealer say leave the plugs in, when there is a sticker on the transom clearly stating the contrary. I'd be very careful using that dealer.
image.jpg

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have this same silicon in my tube slots. I have not been able to get it out. I guess I need to try harder. At least now I know it can come be removed.

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yep Yamaha silicones the rubber to the aluminum neck. I did the same when I removed mine to get the water box over to change my scupper. They do it to avoid leakage of course.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Plugs???..... What Plugs??:eek::eek:

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What lubricant is everyone using for the cleanout plug gaskets. . . . Non petroleum based, I assume.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
What lubricant is everyone using for the pig gaskets. . . . Non petroleum based, I assume.
If it’s pig, use “bacon” grease! :winkingthumbsup" I tried several different greases over he years. I think anything that will collect or attract dust/dirt/grime is a recipe for issues. The best thing I found was the very tacky stuff used to seal the gasket on swimming pool pump gaskets, but it really attracted grime. After all that, I felt no grease was best. And a light coating of silicone spray was about all I would use. But when they came out with kits to rebuild the plugs, I stopped lunricsting the seal/gasket completely. I always left the unlocked and out of the hole when not being used.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I stopped lunricsting the seal/gasket completely.
Whew. . . . Thank god. . . Nothing good ever came from "lunricsting" anything. ;)

Last edited:

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Nice try. . . . I fixed it . . . .lol @txav8r
My dang autocorrect struck again! Lunricsting sounds almost as interesting as lubricating! I edited my typo but obviously the quote still showed my typo, so no heed to even mention the edit!

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What lubricant is everyone using for the cleanout plug gaskets. . . . Non petroleum based, I assume.
Silicone all the way. As I'm fond of saying "the best thing since sliced bread". Won't attract dirt, doesn't leave residue, waterproof, lasts a long time and doesn't build up. What more could you ask for. I spray the plugs and the tubes 3 or 4 times a season and never have an issue. Oh yea, "Cobra Locks", never leave home without them.
Silicone Spray.PNG

Free N Easy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I have a 2008 242 limited and I can’t get mine out. I have tried several times to remove. I tried a puller also with dogs unlocked and broke the puller trying to remove them. I also let the plugs soak submerged in Blaster hoping to loosen or free up corrosion. I am the second owner of the boat and don’t think the previous owner ever had them out do to extremely low hours on the boat. I am debating what my next move should be. I looked at possible removing the tubes but looks like a pretty lengthy process. Any ideas???

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 2008 242 limited and I can’t get mine out. I have tried several times to remove. I tried a puller also with dogs unlocked and broke the puller trying to remove them. I also let the plugs soak submerged in Blaster hoping to loosen or free up corrosion. I am the second owner of the boat and don’t think the previous owner ever had them out do to extremely low hours on the boat. I am debating what my next move should be. I looked at possible removing the tubes but looks like a pretty lengthy process. Any ideas???
Take the screws out of the top of the plug and you can remove the top (expensive half) of the plug. Put it right into a bag and don't play with it otherwise you will probably lose the little spring in it. Once you have the top of the way you can use a pair of channel locks to reach down in there and bend the fins in on the bottom piece to shrink it in the tube. Basically you can do whatever you want at that point within reason to destroy that bottom half. Make sure you order a manhole repair kit for each before you get started because sometimes they go on backorder and it takes forever to get one.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have an 08 as well.. but mine was almost never used... mine where hard to get out at first just due to the sand and crap that wedges between the plug seal and the side. Once u get it out it will be easy from then on.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You could try a floor back with rope to lift it
You could put some pressure on it and then tap it on the bottom side

Free N Easy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Thx for the feedback from all. I will try to take the top half apart. I was kinda nervous about doing that and jacking them up.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you haven't yet, I strongly suggest you try using a bag of ice to fill up each tube above the stuck plugs. Then pour water over the ice into the tube. Let it sit for an hour or so, then give the plugs some yanks. Worked for me when my plugs got stuck a couple times in my 2008. Note: It is extremely cold on the hand reaching in to the handle, obviously, so be ready to move quickly - you won't want to keep your hand in there very long.

If it does not work, you will likely want to use a small plastic cup & a sponge, etc. to dry the tube. If it does work, the water and any ice will fall through the tube, past the drive shaft and out through the hull grate.

Note, I never had them stuck as long as yours (apparently) have been stuck. Might not work, but worth a shot.

***DO NOT RECOMMEND USING THIS METHOD IN FREEZING AMBIENT TEMPS***

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you still have the silicone issue you posted about back in august ?
https://jetboaters.net/threads/limited-232-impeller-cleanout-plugs.19046/

every once in a while we hear about someone who has tried to permanently seal the plugs in the tubes, I'd be interested to see a picture and whether you just have the extra silicone from the factory that overflowed,

do you know if your boat was ever used in Salt water or left in a slip in the water for extended periods?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
update your profile or start a post with your location, I'd bet if there was a member close by they could help you one it, if you were around DFW I'd be glad to,