• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cobra Jet Steering 2021 252SD

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It’s definitely a head scratcher. If steering in non responsive, there is a way to manually force the steering straight under the starboard rear seat. From that point, the owner manual says to use the throttle to steer( forward and reverse). I’ll take a picture when I pick the boat up later today.
You are kidding me how do you use the throttles if the engines are dead, We can't get people to stop trying to drive their boat like a car and then they do this, Sorry I see this as a serious liability, How in the world would the Coast Guard approve something like that ????

Last edited:

lowd77

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Need 1 engine running for steering to work

AmesJainchill

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My concern is Why on earth would Yamaha make the steering wheel lock up if the engines are not running, we already see issues with the E series reverse buckets but they do have a bypass switch . My next question is where is the bypass switch for the locked steering helm because that really concerns me. Keep in mind my system gives you steering even if the engines stalled it would not concern me as much if the helm continued to operate if the key was on. Has anyone tried that? Because if the wheel locks up with the engines off while the boat is in use that is not a good thing in my opinion.
Must be related to the power steering on boats with the Drive system? Just had a peek at the owner's manual on yammy's website for the 255XD.. Page 142 and 143. I guess you have to manually straighten the nozzles/keel, then drive it sort of like a tank... Hope it's not super windy near the dock!
1627072268709.png1627072319951.png

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Cobras are a game changer! Love them.
Well I have spent the last 20 years of my life making jet boats steer and drivers smile so why does the steering wheel locking up if the engines are off make me wonder what the hell is that good for??? besides lawsuits because you know that is where that feature is headed as soon as someone gets hurt or killed WHY WHY WHY!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I had many a boat with hydraulic steering so am I to gather from this the hydraulics are powered by the engines running . Goodness! I use fangs for that don't need any other hydraulics but the water pushing on the fang. and I know they understand this system based on their 19 foot boat rudder. same principal .

lowd77

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Agreed.... They should work with the key on.. don't know why they did it that way.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
On the models with the drive system, for the steering, yamaha uses the seastar optimus system. It is hydraulc but its electronically controlled. The steering wheel doesnt lock up. If you look at the back of my helm there is nothing there but a harness plugged into the back of it. No cables, no hyd hoses. This is why you need power on. You also need an engine running. Why an eng needs to be running is beyond me. You should just need to have power on but i guess they figure if an eng isnt running then there is nothing to steer anyway since its a jet drive. With all that said, the optimus system is a reallly good and robust steering system and is used on just about every higher end boat made today.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
On the models with the drive system, for the steering, yamaha uses the seastar optimus system. It is hydraulc but its electronically controlled. The steering wheel doesnt lock up. If you look at the back of my helm there is nothing there but a harness plugged into the back of it. No cables, no hyd hoses. This is why you need power on. You also need an engine running. Why an eng needs to be running is beyond me. You should just need to have power on but i guess they figure if an eng isnt running then there is nothing to steer anyway since its a jet drive. With all that said, the optimus system is a reallly good and robust steering system and is used on just about every higher end boat made today.
Thank you for the info, if it is not necessary to lock the wheel with the engines off, and since they also have a rudder that will be disabled by locking the wheel I have to stick with my opinion that it is a very bad idea, sort of like handing a loaded gun to a plaintiffs atty.