• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cobra Jet Ultimate AK install 2018 242 XE.

Liftr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Update from the dealer today:
There are exactly ZERO steering nozzle parts in stock in the USA.
He placed the order for one of the THREE assemblies available in Japan.
Delivery estimate is 10 days...

Liftr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
There are exactly ZERO steering nozzle parts in stock in the USA.
He placed the order for one of the THREE assemblies available in Japan.
Delivery estimate is 10 days...
Japan Yamaha intends to ship the part on SEPTEMBER 29!!

I have called my dealer weekly since the incident, and this is the first update I've gotten.
I've called Every aftermarket dealer I can think of, and even tried eBay.

Do you guys know of a boat junkyard?
I’ll try anything!

Part number: 6HU513130000

Last edited:

Liftr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I took things into my own hands. So to speak.
$20 for a welder to install a 1/4” thick, 2”x2” slug of 6061 Aluminum into the broken casting.
A handle of Weller Green Label to my machinist buddy, and I’m back in business.
Well, put back together, at least. Off to the lake this weekend for an operational check!

Attachments

Liftr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ops check good!

Return to Service.:thumbsup:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I just installed my kit on a 2018 242 XE. I ran into some trouble and sent Jeff, @Cobra Jet Steering LLC , an email at 2100L. After an exchange, he wound up calling to help me at 2130L on a Friday night. Fantastic customer service.
My boat has (had) the nozzles turned inward for “Surf Pointe”. My nozzles were not evenly matched from the Factory.
I ended up having to disconnect the steering cables, and setting them with almost straight alignment. I went with the 1/8” toe-in recommendation at the end of the instructions.
The frustrating part, is to disconnect the steering rods, you have to remove the spring from the right side of the nozzle/reverse bucket. ie. uninstall the right side fin.
Then I centered the steering wheel, and laid a straight edge across the back of the nozzles. Spin the turn buckles until they line up and reinstall.
The first pic shows the kit’s tie rod (at minimum length) was not going to fit on the AK rudder, with the factory settings.
In the top left corner, you can see the bolt going thru the steering cable turn buckle. You can also see how it is trapped in position by the fin’s coil spring apparatus.
Second pic shows the straight edge laying on the CJ fins, pushed up against the nozzles.
Last two pics show the different adjustments on the steering rods.
For the record the instructions address this by advising you to align the nozzles first before installing any other parts !

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Now, I have some general questions for the collective:

I tried to fill the ballast bags, but no luck. I heard the pumps turn on and run for ~20 seconds. They stopped with the bags indicating 0%, 22%, 45%. The bags were COMPLETELY EMPTY. I could not get the pumps to ever turn back on.
I tried the FILL ALL, DRAIN ALL, but never heard the pumps again?

Now, I’m going to celebrate with a beverage, and wait for you guys to answer all my questions!👍
For the ballast this will help with a bunch of issues concerning the ballast bags

Leendert

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The cobra steering website is so confusing to me.
Can someone explain to me what the difference is between:
Steering only and deluxe steering only?
What are the Mega Fangs?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Totally agree , I would call him or email him directly with any questions you have as he has always had his home phone and his email on the site , and you can view a lot of info in the vendor section of this forum https://jetboaters.net/forums/cobra-jet-steering.55/

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
The cobra steering website is so confusing to me.
Can someone explain to me what the difference is between:
Steering only and deluxe steering only?
What are the Mega Fangs?
I agree lol - he needs a web designer. But he is right - just call him, you will be set in a few minutes.