• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Colorado Diesel

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How does the back end look once you've got that 24' hitched ? Does she squat a lot ? Or does the tow package add stiffer springs ? Currently I'm using my son's Dodge 1500 4x4 and a friend says that even that truck isn't big enough. I gave him all the specs on the diesel Colorado with tow package and he says No Way.
Really good chance that the 1500 isn't properly equipped for a 24ft. A good portion of the 1500 class trucks are sold with the wrong options (usually gearing and cooling) to tow a 24ft boat. I haven't dug into the Dodge specs, but I know that GM has a number of 1500 class trucks that are only rated to pull 5,200lbs or so.

Properly equipped, either the Dodge 1500, or the Colorado Diesel should handle a 24ft acceptably.

Anyone that says a half ton 4x4 pickup is not enough to tow one of these boats has no clue. Unless you have the weakest springs in the world, there is no reason it should not be able to handle it safely and within the load capacity of the vehicle.

The photo in my signature is of us towing our 242 roughly 1700 miles with ease.
Check the specs, you would be surprised how little some 1500's are rated for.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would agree with that. It is surprising how many have much lower to capacities. I should have prefaced that statement, just being a half ton doesn’t put it into the same class as all other half tons. But that just seems crazy that they don’t.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like all the V8 equipped Rams are currently rated at a minimum of 7,900lbs. The V6 trucks not so much.
V6DodgeTowing.JPG

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would agree with that. It is surprising how many have much lower to capacities. I should have prefaced that statement, just being a half ton doesn’t put it into the same class as all other half tons. But that just seems crazy that they don’t.
I totally agree. I was about floored when I was researching my current truck looking at tow ratings. Any of the 5.3L/3.08 rear gear trucks were rated at 5,250 or something like that. Get the 3.42 gears and the ratings jumped to 9,200lbs or so.

Wonder how many people are out there towing with 1500 trucks that are WAY over the limit because they saw an ad on TV that says "Rated to tow up to 10,500lbs" or some such madness.

KC-AR240

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Really good chance that the 1500 isn't properly equipped for a 24ft. A good portion of the 1500 class trucks are sold with the wrong options (usually gearing and cooling) to tow a 24ft boat. I haven't dug into the Dodge specs, but I know that GM has a number of 1500 class trucks that are only rated to pull 5,200lbs or so.

Properly equipped, either the Dodge 1500, or the Colorado Diesel should handle a 24ft acceptably.

Check the specs, you would be surprised how little some 1500's are rated for.
Son's truck is a 2015 Dodge 1500 with 5.7 hemi short bed, extended cab. 4x4. I thought it had somewhere in the 7000 lb tow capacity

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The specs on those little diesels are awesome! Their more like a half ton when properly equip. Seems like it would be sensible for them to put it in a Silverado/Sierra... although it looks like their expected to release versions with a new 3.0L Duramax soon in a attempt to one up the F150 Powerstroke.

Waiting for the fabled diesel Toyota Tundra is like waiting for Yamaha to offer twin SVHO's...
I have bought a lot of Toyota's I talked to my dealer and they said after the Volkswagen scandal Toyota will never sell a diesel in the USA.
The whole rest of the world is loaded with them.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I am way overdue for a truck. Been looking at these diesels, the new Ranger that's coming up, or the 2.7 ecoboost f150.
The mid size trucks would be nice for fitting into the garage. Two full size trucks means the kids ding the doors badly, so much so that I park outside anyways.
With the new mid sized trucks all capable of 7k plus towing, I'm excited to try! I will still have an Expedition for kid hauling that we use 90% of the time for our towing and vacations, but that doesn't mean I can't have something slightly smaller, that fits in the garage, gets me to work, but still can pull the likes of our camper and boat.
I don't know that I like the diesel thing, mainly just because I drive diesels for work trucks and I am tired of the feel, sound etc. The almost 30 mpg would be nice for long hauls though!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I totally agree. I was about floored when I was researching my current truck looking at tow ratings. Any of the 5.3L/3.08 rear gear trucks were rated at 5,250 or something like that. Get the 3.42 gears and the ratings jumped to 9,200lbs or so.

Wonder how many people are out there towing with 1500 trucks that are WAY over the limit because they saw an ad on TV that says "Rated to tow up to 10,500lbs" or some such madness.
I'm happy to report that in 2018, GMC has stepped up their game and no V8 1500's are below 6000lbs now. And all but two odd configurations of the V6 are 6,000 or more as well. That may change for 2019. I was also pleasantly surprised that my Sierra Denali with 5.3 was rated at 9,100lbs. I never questioned it when buying, as I knew it could pull whatever i towed.

I see most of the 3.08 gear ratios are rated at 6,000lbs. That seems fine for a baseline half ton truck. I hardly ever see that configuration here in MN though. Of course, those are the standard box trucks which are mostly special order in our part of the country. It's amazing what the gear ratio does for capacity. I'm like so many others that have had no need to question what my truck came with. The Sierra Denali Crew is standard with 3.42 and the fuel economy is amazing.

2018 Sierra 1500 V1.png

2018 Sierra 1500 V2.png

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's good to read! I think that 6k lower number is a good threshold for a fullsize pickup.

I bet those 3.08 trucks are more prevalent than you think. Most LS and LT trucks will get those to meet EPA take rate percentages. I know I had to search for awhile to find a non LTZ/Denali truck with 3.42 gears. Taught about 15 sales people how to read RPO codes from a GM glove box in the process :D :D

*edit*......I've got a question on that fancy instrument panel you have there. I've been debating on swapping my '15 SLT panel for that one. It sure looks cool. HOWEVER, I'm curious how well it dims at night. I drive with my gages turned all the way down at night due to a touch of night blindness/poor reacting pupils. When turned all the way down, does the brightness of the intrument panel match the center screen? Currently my IP does NOT match the center screen and it drives me bat crap crazy if I think about it too much.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've noticed that as well. The SLT and Denali should be the same, But the display on my 2018 Denali is like 7" behind the wheel? It's amazing all the customization you can do to make them do what you want. Of course the last gauge turns into a tranny temp gauge when in Tow/Haul mode.

But yes, to your question, the dash dimmer works as it always does and you can drop the brightness down nicely. The radio has a separate control, but the whole system does adjust as the headlights come on. I do find myself adjusting them the most at Dawn Dusk when the headlights come on or go out. But for the most part, I don't mess with it. Just like the climate control, it sits at 70 degrees/Auto and only touch it once in a while if I jump in with a wet head in the winter and the defroster has to be run for a few minutes.

cbpagent72

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Finally traded my ‘09 Jeep Rubicon in on a new Chevy Colorado Diesel Z71 4x4. The jeep was fun but sucked at pulling the Fsh190. Between the 3.6L mini-van motor and the 35” MTR’s even with 4.10 gears and the 6spd it could barely get out of its way. Forget going up a bridge in anything less than 4th and maybe 3rd gear.
The Colorado diesel is a dream. With nearly 400lb-ft of torque down low it doesn’t even know the boat is there. It gets 34 mpg on the highway and 19 mpg pulling the damn boat! My jeep didn't get that without the boat. The jake break is awesome and really helps slow it down. Anyone looking for a great tow rig with diesel power at a great price; go test drive this little diesel. Creepy quit too.

I had the 2018 Colorado ZR2 diesel and I traded it in on the 2019 1500 6.2. the ZR2 really didn't Tow 212X very well. Before the ZR2 I had Volkswagen Touareg TDI and it towed much better. I have a lot of mountain passes when I go out to the lakes so I had to trade out of the ZR2. I got sick of going 45 and 50 miles an hour up the hills.

KC-AR240

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I too bought a Colorado z71 back in May. I strongly considered the diesel, but with only 1 diesel pump in town and every landscaper at that pump, I opted for the gasser.

Amazing truck - very happy with decision.

Good luck with her.
That has 7600 lbs towing capacity correct ? What's your boat weigh and how did it handle

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That has 7600 lbs towing capacity correct ? What's your boat weigh and how did it handle
My Colorado has the 3.6 V6 with the 8 speed tranny. It’s rated for 7200lbs. The diesel is rated for 7,700.
I have a 212x - fully loaded with all our crap - I don’t know - I think she’s pushing 4K+. Another 1200+ for the trailer - let’s say 5,500.
She tows awesome. Plenty of power and brakes.
Towed the 212x 4 hours each way last summer to Lake Winnie with the bed filled with crap. Great trip. Amazing tow vehicle.