• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Connectx system and "Err" speed

Bulldog46

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Not trying to hijack your thread but I ran into the same problem this past week with a 242x. Fortunately, the problem reared its ugly head during my sea trial last week, prior to actually closing. I gave them a week to resolve the issue but to no avail. The part that they thought was causing the problem was on back order from Japan and wouldn't be manufactured until October. I went with my gut and decided to ditch my desire for the 242X. I sea trial a 242 limited SE next Wednesday. I saw threads about the SE having drive control ERR problems too. I find it absolutely amazing how many problems these 2016's are having. What happened to quality control and assurance? This is my first venture into the jet boat world. I was hesitant to consider it at all, until I talked to friends that swore by the reliability. I fear that if the SE shows me anything but excellence, I'll ditch Yamaha forever. It's just unacceptable! Especially at the price they are asking.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
First year woes with the Connext. I'm hoping the 2017's prove themselves quickly.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Well, I have always heard to never buy a newly designed model the first year! No matter how much they test, you will never identify all of the issues until the public gets ahold of it. I am frustrated, but have been told by my dealer that my problem has been resolved....I will find out next week. As far as the boat, the comfort, the room, etc., I love it. I am trusting that Yamah will keep live up to their reputation and correct all the problems with the CONNEXT system!

t.gordon

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Not trying to hijack your thread but I ran into the same problem this past week with a 242x. Fortunately, the problem reared its ugly head during my sea trial last week, prior to actually closing. I gave them a week to resolve the issue but to no avail. The part that they thought was causing the problem was on back order from Japan and wouldn't be manufactured until October. I went with my gut and decided to ditch my desire for the 242X. I sea trial a 242 limited SE next Wednesday. I saw threads about the SE having drive control ERR problems too. I find it absolutely amazing how many problems these 2016's are having. What happened to quality control and assurance? This is my first venture into the jet boat world. I was hesitant to consider it at all, until I talked to friends that swore by the reliability. I fear that if the SE shows me anything but excellence, I'll ditch Yamaha forever. It's just unacceptable! Especially at the price they are asking.

My 2016 242 Limted S E series has the same issue. I'm waiting until the end of summer to get it fixed. I'm collecting info to give to my dealer that I find on the two boards I monitor.

tERRy Gordon

t.gordon

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This is what I found on another board:

I just got my boat back from the dealer getting fixed. To my surprise the Yamaha rep that was at the dealer knew all about this issue. And I just had timed it right to take my boat in when the rep was there. I had a little time to talk to the repair guy and it seems that the following list is what fixed it.

Also dfosbury, my list is about the same as the one you tried to link to.

1. The GPS connector was clipped in but was not seated correctly.
2. Had to remove and reload software on the connext system.
3. Had to re-calibrate the ballast system.
4. Had to tighten the GPS antenna screws.

I didn't take it out yet, but the dealer took it to one of the lakes to confirm that this issue is fixed. I will know on Saturday when I get back on the water.

From the sounds of it this issues does not affect every E-Series just a hand full of them. I will keep this updated if I have more info.

Kane

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I can only add to this that my DVSR wire was not connected causing a low voltage/battery situation. My fuel gauge was not working from my first ride, turned out the wire was not connected, reconnected and no further issues.
I guess my point is, there could be some QC issues and if your able, check all your connections.

Best of luck!

t.gordon

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I can only add to this that my DVSR wire was not connected causing a low voltage/battery situation. My fuel gauge was not working from my first ride, turned out the wire was not connected, reconnected and no further issues.
I guess my point is, there could be some QC issues and if your able, check all your connections.

Best of luck!

What's a DVSR wire?

TG

Kane

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
What's a DVSR wire?

TG
This is a Ground Wire that connects to the House Battery that allows the House Battery to charge while underway.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This is what I found on another board:

I just got my boat back from the dealer getting fixed. To my surprise the Yamaha rep that was at the dealer knew all about this issue. And I just had timed it right to take my boat in when the rep was there. I had a little time to talk to the repair guy and it seems that the following list is what fixed it.

Also dfosbury, my list is about the same as the one you tried to link to.

1. The GPS connector was clipped in but was not seated correctly.
2. Had to remove and reload software on the connext system.
3. Had to re-calibrate the ballast system.
4. Had to tighten the GPS antenna screws.

I didn't take it out yet, but the dealer took it to one of the lakes to confirm that this issue is fixed. I will know on Saturday when I get back on the water.

From the sounds of it this issues does not affect every E-Series just a hand full of them. I will keep this updated if I have more info.
I pick mine up Fri, and talking to the tech it sounds like that did the same things to mine.....here's hoping!

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
20160806_111108.jpg
View attachment 40939 I have had trouble receiving "ERR" messages on the speed readout. When in "DRIVE" mode, engines throttle down till ERR message goes away. Have my boat in for 20 hr service, and they will hopefully get it figured out!
New
Dealer called me today and they believe it is fixed. They found/did 4 things:
1. Possible bad ground
2. Bad connection on the CONNEXT system
3. Faulty pressure sensors on throttle bodies
4. Complete re-program of entire system.
Cant get it in the water until after the 1st of AUG :( BUT
I am hopeful!!

Dealer gave me no run around....kept me in the loop, seemed to want to get it fixed right! I will let you know the outcome!
Great news. ...finally got her back. .out on the lake a couple of hours. ..tried all modes numerous times and it ALL worked as advertised! Good news for any fellow members having similar issues!

Last edited:

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Well the ERR message raised its ugly head again. ..back in the shop. Dealer tried to say it was a GPS (satellite ) issue but I informed him it worked perfectly for about 2 months then took a shit again. Plus my 13 year old Magellan hand held worked perfectly during the same time. They have had it for almost 2 weeks now. ..hope to find out something today. Can't seem to get them to call me back!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@captras keep us posted. Lets hope it is the connections and not an design flaw.

That kind of stuff gives me real Heebie-jeebies. Would not want to deal with something like that en-route to Bimini.

--

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Well, to be fair, it really does not affect the operations of the boat except that it will not keep GPS speed. The cruise assist, which is RPM based still works fine.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, to be fair, it really does not affect the operations of the boat except that it will not keep GPS speed. The cruise assist, which is RPM based still works fine.
Okay - thanks for clarifying, I though the engines were cutting to idle/low RPM with this error, at least in the OP's post.

--

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Okay - thanks for clarifying, I though the engines were cutting to idle/low RPM with this error, at least in the OP's post.

--
It only does that if you are in the Drive Mode with the speed set....otherwise, no engine issues with this problem....If using the cruise assist, there are no issues......glad I clarified for ya

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just spoke to the dealer....they are consulting with Yamaha, but they think they may have to replace the GPS module. It is an interrmittent problem, and initially they could not get it to fail, but after actually conducting a lake test the system did fail and the ERR message came up. Should know by tomorrow what they decide.

I love all the features of this boat, but they can be a pain. I guess there is an advantage to just having a 12 foot john boat with a 35 hp outboard, manual throttle and NO electronics!!!!! Just hard as HELL to wakeboard behind, and 12 people does make it a little crowded! :)

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It could be the generic $15 gps antenna that they charge $300 for through the parts system or it could be the added on brains for gps speed control and electronic throttles. You are not the first to have that issue and some have complained of it happening intermittently. All of the e-series brains are separate systems communicating with what was already there. There is a ton of data being sent back and forth to separate components as a fast refresh rate. Yamaha needs to do what BRP did.

BRP did it right and re-designed their engines and engine brains together when they made the switch to the current 3 cylinders. All of the features bulit together so naturally they work together.

Just my .02

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It could be the generic $15 gps antenna that they charge $300 for through the parts system or it could be the added on brains for gps speed control and electronic throttles. You are not the first to have that issue and some have complained of it happening intermittently. All of the e-series brains are separate systems communicating with what was already there. There is a ton of data being sent back and forth to separate components as a fast refresh rate. Yamaha needs to do what BRP did.

BRP did it right and re-designed their engines and engine brains together when they made the switch to the current 3 cylinders. All of the features bulit together so naturally they work together.

Just my .02
Very well said!

I think it is remarkable Yamaha brand approaches their jet boats vs their outboards so differently (from the process / design perspective). Not totally surprising, but if they are serious about taking their jet boats main stream, and making them sea worthy, they will need to reevaluate that position at some point. The new 24fters certainly have the hulls and engines that have a lot of potential.

--

Jaime

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I agree with everything you said but keep in mind that BRP doesn't have the reliability that Yamaha has, believe me I owned both brands!!!!

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Well, good news...I hope.....dealer called yesterday afternoon. After a lake test, more diagnostics, and consultation with the Yamaha reps, they are replacing the GPS antenna and the GPS module! Would be nice if this is the last time I have to deal with this issue! Be a while before it gets back in the water, but when I finally do I will post the results.