• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Connectx system and "Err" speed

KeithB

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ok, sounds like I should get them a full charge and see if that takes care of it. I saw the error code a couple of times when I first got on water but it got really frequent after I ran the stereo while parked for a solid 3 hours of jamming out on the beach.
It only really affects anything if you are trying to use the drive control as mentioned above. It makes that feature totally useless.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Boat on Lake 3.jpg I have had trouble receiving "ERR" messages on the speed readout. When in "DRIVE" mode, engines throttle down till ERR message goes away. Have my boat in for 20 hr service, and they will hopefully get it figured out!

KeithB

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Please keep us posted! I am still having the issue as well, even after putting a full charge on the batteries. Both batteries running around 14.2v but still having the issue happen rendering the drive control features useless.. they absolutely need to figure this one out ...

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hopefully I will know by Friday....I will let you know if they fix the problem, and what the fix was!

Last edited by a moderator:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Mine charges at around 14.5 while in motion on the water and is usually showing 12.4-12.5 in float mode.
Agree...I had issues with a depleted battery, and finally have it into the 14.2-14.4 range while running now. Keep in mind that the voltage you see on the screen is the house battery....who knows what the starting battery voltage is!

seadude

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If the boat is wired correctly, it should be safe to assume if Connext is indicating a charge level voltage (13+V) on the "dual" house battery readout, the start battery has already been topped off by the DVSR.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If the boat is wired correctly, it should be safe to assume if Connext is indicating a charge level voltage (13+V) on the "dual" house battery readout, the start battery has already been topped off by the DVSR.
Correct....unless you have something that is drawing one or the other down (like mine was).

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just spoke to the dealer about my "ERR" message issue. Fortunately, because it is intemittent, they took it out on the water and saw exactly what it was doing. They were perplexed and had to call Yamaha about it. Even Yamaha was not familiar with my particular situation. They said that they had to get with the engineer/tech that designed the system to try to figure out what is causing the problem. They did state that is could possibly be a software problem, but that was just a guess. Will post a follow up as I learn anything.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I am still in a holding position to get mine repaired as well.
Going to leave the boat with my dealer while I am traveling out of town-

So far all my dealer has been told to do is chase a bunch of potentially loose wires/connections-

Glen

seadude

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Doubt it's a software issue or we all would see the problem.
My "max speed" bizarrely read ERR all of a sudden one day out, reboot reset it to the current max speed...

ajccowboysfan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I just took mine out two days ago for the first time and saw ERR intermittently during the break in period... battery at 13.2V. Taking it out today or tomorrow to see if the ERR problem persists. I'll be looking to see if anyone has found the fix yet.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
View attachment 40939 I have had trouble receiving "ERR" messages on the speed readout. When in "DRIVE" mode, engines throttle down till ERR message goes away. Have my boat in for 20 hr service, and they will hopefully get it figured out!
I just took mine out two days ago for the first time and saw ERR intermittently during the break in period... battery at 13.2V. Taking it out today or tomorrow to see if the ERR problem persists. I'll be looking to see if anyone has found the fix yet.
I have read several comments about voltage, however, I know that is not the issue in my case. I agree with the comment about the software, unless, for some reason, mine is corrupted in some way. Hope to hear something from Yamaha/the dealer soon.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We have ours in the shop now chasing a ballast comm loss error which has prevented the ballast bags from filling and emptying correctly. They walked us through a reset procedure over the phone to get us through the weekend but the error kept coming back. We haven't had the problem with the speed as you described but we are having an issue with the Connectx... hopefully they'll get it all figured out!

@dave@FFM Have you had any progress on your ballast/ERR issues, with your dealer?
I have the exact problems, and have made no progress with it.
They've chased loose connections, to no avail-
I am dropping it off with my dealer in the next few days as I won't be able to use it. I am hoping that Yamaha has cracked some code with your boat, that will expedite the fixing of mine :).

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I read that the stock gps antenna on the 2015 models did not update frequently enough (baud rate) for perfect pass somewhere on here. Wonder if they used an updated antenna for the e/x series?

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The latest on my "ERR" message and oscillating throttle when in the "DRIVE" mode . Talked to the service dept at Texas Marine. They had to call Yamaha about the issue, and it took Yamaha almost a week to get back to them. Apparently they needed to talk to the engineer that designed the system. They have done 2 things....first....they reprogrammed the computer.....second, they found a problem in the throttle body adjustment that was causing uncommanded variations. They have some other things that they are checking, and will, obviously, have to lake test it to make sure that the problem is solved. Not sure how much longer....but as long as they fix it right....I will wait!

Derek Fosbury

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
although I haven't had a repeat of my problems, it's always at the back of my mind, so I will be curious if your programming update is specific to your boat, or something generic that can be applied to all connext gps systems.

KeithB

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Sure sounds like something that will ultimately end in a recall of some sort.. I have stalled on even taking mine in since I am still able to use it just lose ability to use Drive Control features.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
New
Dealer called me today and they believe it is fixed. They found/did 4 things:
1. Possible bad ground
2. Bad connection on the CONNEXT system
3. Faulty pressure sensors on throttle bodies
4. Complete re-program of entire system.
Cant get it in the water until after the 1st of AUG :( BUT
I am hopeful!!

Dealer gave me no run around....kept me in the loop, seemed to want to get it fixed right! I will let you know the outcome!

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Congrats @captras, I am psyched for you!
Frankly, I have made nearly zero progress with my 242X issues in the past few months. At this point, I am not sure where the gap is, dealer or manufacturer. I do know that continuing to do the same thing, and expecting a different outcome, is insanity.
The last time this happened I needed to go the surveyor route, that ultimately resulted in the correct action (Chief engineer flown in from South Africa and personally overseeing a $30K repair/rebuild.), but it took me too long to figure out how to create the right 'incentive program' for them to do this. I won't make that mistake again.

The message I have just sent to my dealer, FMS Motorsports,
430 Kings Hwy
Fredericksburg, VA 22405
Phone: 540-899-9100

This message is for Monti (owner), Lock (Edit: Lock, not "Lake"; Service) and Mike (Sales).
I am clearly not satisfied that you had my boat for 10 days and were not able to remediate a single issue in that time.
-No Ballast Functionality
-No Auto Start/Speed Control (Speed, "ERR")
-Boat takes on water (bilge runs regularly)

Appreciate that a part is on order to see if it fixes the ballast problem. But you have known about this problem for almost 2 months now.

Other dealers seem to be getting this ERR issue fixed, where we have literally made zero progress, other than continue to check connections.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/connectx-system-and-err-speed.9373/page-2#post-180551

This lack of progress cannot continue.
I have needed to use my insurance company and certified marine surveyors to formally document manufacturers defects and the US Coast Guard regulations and safety standards they violate, to get manufacturers/dealers to do the right thing. Please let me know if you believe if that is what it will take to get these issues addressed in a safe and timely fashion.
R/
Glen Sharlun
2016 Yamaha 242X

Last edited:

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That really sucks! I won't know for sure that mine is fixed but they said they did a lake test so that is encouraging! When you spend 70K+ on a boat you expect the dealer/manufacturer to back you. So far Texas Marine has taken care of things and I have no dealer complaints. It did seem like it took Yamaha a long tI'm to get back to the dealer with their analysis. I guess that is the problem when you buy anything that is a completely new system. Best of luck with yours, and I hope mine is fixed right!