• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Connext screen dead and tachs moving back and forth like a metronome

Tim in MD

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I added on to an existing post a few days ago and didn't get any replies. So, trying a more direct approach...

Has anyone had this failure mode, and had the problem fixed by replacing the Connext Display unit (hopefully on a non-E-Series)? Before I go through the process of ordering, spending, and waiting, I'd like some level of confidence that it will fix the issue.

If it was fixed by some other means (fuse, or whatever), I'd greatly appreciate hearing about your experience.

Thanks!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I can’t help but just letting you know I have a connext display and gauges from a 2017 ar 240. Priced at half their online cost and as is, non refundable. Start a convo with me if you are interested.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The Tachs get there signal from the Connext, The time I started my boat with the house battery off my tachs bounced back and forth too. If you have confirmed power to the Connext replacing would be my next choice in troubleshooting.

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I had this happen, still under warranty. Thought for sure I had a dead screen, I went through all the trouble shooting I could, shot power, continuity everything. All checked good, so took it into the dealer thinking it was a dead screen. Probably because Yamaha knows they can't get the screens they would not let the dealer call it bad, they had them shoot every wire and send them the readings. (They had the boat for two months while troubleshooting) All came back good, Yamaha then had them de-pin and re-pin the entire connector. Fortunately / Unfortunately it worked! Screens came back Tachs worked again but have no idea what pin was the issue.

jcb1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had the same thing happen to me last year.....black screen and tach's sweeping back and forth. it was a fried connext screen most likely from a voltage spike. took a while to get the replacement screen but once installed everything was back to normal.

it was actually the second time I fried a screen.....I had installed a second battery kit using a 1-2-both-off switch. my theory is switching through off when charging causes a spike. Since then, I've changed to a dual circuit switch with house and start batteries. Hoping that will solve my issue.

Tim in MD

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Many thanks for the replies.

@lazergeek (or anyone else who can help): How do I confirm power to the Connext?

If I can do that, I'm going to try and fine a new screen unit and hope for the best.

Tim in MD

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can’t help but just letting you know I have a connext display and gauges from a 2017 ar 240. Priced at half their online cost and as is, non refundable. Start a convo with me if you are interested.
Ronnie, Thanks but it looks to me that the part number (and the price!) is very different between the two boats - $600 vs $2800.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ronnie, Thanks but it looks to me that the part number (and the price!) is very different between the two boats - $600 vs $2800.
Understood and not surprised, the windows on the first and second gen 240s are almost identical but the first gen coats more than twice as much as the second gen. Yamaha knows how to stick it to their customers.