• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Considering relocation

cjaysanchez

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I live in Houston, TX, closed to Kingwood area (Northeast of Houston downtown). With all the floods, storms, and huracanes over the years, we are getting tired of dealing with this every year and not getting any better. We used to live in Jacksonville, FL in 1997-2001 and still my in-laws are there. If there are any locals in this forum, could you give me some input regarding boating life in Jacksonville, FL, floods/storms/hurricans/tropical-storms over the years? Is north of Jax or south toward St Augustine better options? We have two small girls (9 yrs and 4 yrs) so good school systems is a most have. In my little research, it seems Jax has been hit by hurricanes only very few times. We want to live in an area with almost a year around beach weather and make this possibly our last move. We are 40+ yrs old and have been moving from Mexico to Jax, to Ithaca, NY, to Point Pleasant, NJ, to Freehold, NJ, and to Porter, Tx. I work remotely so work is not an issue. Just need a mid to large airport close by. My wife is a realtor, so she could possibly continue her career with the proper certifications after the move.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Yamahaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
them bullsharks in the st johns tho. 😲

Boatinmama14

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I live in Houston, TX, closed to Kingwood area (Northeast of Houston downtown). With all the floods, storms, and huracanes over the years, we are getting tired of dealing with this every year and not getting any better. We used to live in Jacksonville, FL in 1997-2001 and still my in-laws are there. If there are any locals in this forum, could you give me some input regarding boating life in Jacksonville, FL, floods/storms/hurricans/tropical-storms over the years? Is north of Jax or south toward St Augustine better options? We have two small girls (9 yrs and 4 yrs) so good school systems is a most have. In my little research, it seems Jax has been hit by hurricanes only very few times. We want to live in an area with almost a year around beach weather and make this possibly our last move. We are 40+ yrs old and have been moving from Mexico to Jax, to Ithaca, NY, to Point Pleasant, NJ, to Freehold, NJ, and to Porter, Tx. I work remotely so work is not an issue. Just need a mid to large airport close by. My wife is a realtor, so she could possibly continue her career with the proper certifications after the move.
Hey there! I am a local to Jax for the past 12 years, and lived in Florida my whole life besides some military time. Like you said we havnt been hit to hard with hurricanes lately, plenty of smaller storms. We boat almost all year long here, we have 3 kids, 4, 7, and 9 :) For better schools everyone says St.Augustine, but we live in central/westside of Jacksonville, right by the Saint Johns river, and our kids go to school near here and we have loved it. I think for the schools there are a lot of options in good parts of town and thats one of my favorite things about Jacksonville is there are so many sides to Jacksonville and everyone has a good part to it. I would look into North Jacksonville, its right near the airport, Fort George is right near there and its one of the most popular boating places for the sandbars and its right by the ocean. You can look at the Fort Caroline Area, its in North Jacksonville and near the Saint Johns and Beach. A sport in more central Jacksonville would be the Ortega area, right near the Saint Johns.
We are actually currently looking for a new house and selling ours and I said I just need to be near the water haha. We live near the Ortega area right now and love where we are. Mandarin is another nice spot on the south side to Jacksonville. Hopefully that helps a little, feel free to message me if you want, I can give you more insite on different areas and help if I can. What type of area do you guys like?

burgjp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
your wife will be busy here then. st johns county is growing every day with people moving to FL. if you want to be near the water you have lots of choices from atlantic beach area all the way down to south st augustine beach. in regards to hurricanes, north florida is like the arm pit of the south east so we don't really get hit that much or chances of getting hit as compared to other parts of FL.

cjaysanchez

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What about flooding? Tropical storms and just plain heavy rain. Where I am in Houston, any heavy rain becomes an issue. Having a car in my area is not an option. Only suv and trucks.

burgjp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What about flooding? Tropical storms and just plain heavy rain. Where I am in Houston, any heavy rain becomes an issue. Having a car in my area is not an option. Only suv and trucks.
it all depends on the house you get which im sure your wife will sort out if a house is in a flood zone or not. but thats obvously for low lying areas. and obviously you will be at risk if you get a house closer to the beach or along a canal etc.

Boatinmama14

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
your wife will be busy here then. st johns county is growing every day with people moving to FL. if you want to be near the water you have lots of choices from atlantic beach area all the way down to south st augustine beach. in regards to hurricanes, north florida is like the arm pit of the south east so we don't really get hit that much or chances of getting hit as compared to other parts of FL.
I live right outside of a floodzone and the only time it has flooded in that zone not on my street to where you couldn't drive is during a substantial storm that lasted for a few days. Certain parts like rivrside flood pretty easily but they see,m to drain quick also.