• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Correct way to pour oil

What is the correct way to pour oil?

• Total voters
Angled side down - I'm going to mail mine in!
Well.....I used my admin perms to change the way votes are tabulated. Now, every other angle side up vote goes to the Goofy SOB.

When you've got the clearance, angled side down will give you the best pour without the "run back" of oil down the neck of the bottle. When there isn't clearance, sideways is next best. Sometimes, if you're not using a funnel, sideways can actually be best, just because it allows you to get closer to the fill port, but that's a case by case evaluation. Angled side up is the worst for getting oil to run back down the neck of the bottle, and drip all over whatever you're working on. You're all welcome to do it wrong, though. ;)

ANGLE SIDE UP WON BY ALOT!

You guys pour your oil?? I've just been dropping the whole container in

I don’t know if I’m more surprised by the landslide win, or the late coming third candidate almost taking second place!

I agree that the winner is the correct way. I usually start angle up so that I can close the gap between bottle and filler, then I flip it up and let it glug-glug with the angle side high to let the max amount of oil drain out while I open the next bottle.

My preference is "into the motor", but I didn't see it on the list.
See, you just need to do more oil changes.

I have also seen, and done:
  • Into the bilge (when I missed the funnel)
  • Onto the floor (when I forgot a drain plug once)
  • Onto the shoe (when I kicked over a bottle once)
  • Onto the face (when filling a rear differential with fluid this often happens)
  • Out of the pan (often quickly followed by onto the floor, see shoe above)
  • and my personal favorite
  • Onto the wall (twice now I've accidently reversed the extractor and had it spray the wall when I wasn't ready with another receptacle for the oil)
I do agree though, into the motor is the best of these :D

LOL............Sorry laugh so hard I'll add sprayed my coffee on computer screen

Back