• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Couple sells all possessions for sailboat, sinks 2 days into trip

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Amazing how little everything they had was worth. Sucks to be young i guess. If everything you own is wrapped up in one thing you mite want to insure it.

Wr3ckdiver

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Worst part about that story is all the stupid people contributing to thier gofundme page. They already have enough money to fix the boat and continue to screw off while the rest of us earn a living. When is America going to learn to stop financing lazy bums in society??

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On the contrary, It's an opportunity for others to feel empowered to contribute to a cause of their choosing. Difference between begging and street art. Like I said, you can't fault them for trying!
I agree. mostly.

Then I mentioned this thread and the story, as an supplemental income plan to my wife this morning. She gave me the "really?" look LOL

All i gotta do is swallow a lil pride, sink my boat and beg right?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
All i gotta do is swallow a lil pride, sink my boat and beg right?
I would also feel obligated to give up my man card, stop looking at myself in the mirror, apologize to my mother for going against what she taught me/how she raised me and reiterate to my son that he should do what i say not what i do. I would also go to church a lot more often.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There are all kinds of pride. I remember someone too proud to collect unemployment as he thought of it as a handout. It's a benefit for folks on the exact situation he was on. I thought it was foolish of him, it was benefit that was funded by his work, and directly related to the need he had.

Don't be that proud.

Now begging for boat money... You don't have my sympathy, but I'm still impressed you pulled it off.

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Now begging for boat money... You don't have my sympathy, but I'm still impressed you pulled it off.

I’m picturing someone at the intersection with a crude cardboard sign that reads:

“Need money 4 new boat”

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Well we were all young once and life was so simple since we were not cluttering it with reality. I saved my change in a jar to pay for gas , loaded my 1965 Plymouth barracuda with my chopper, totally disassembled to fit in the car, a full set of drums also disassembled for the same reason and all my tools . clothes etc, I still had room in there my feeling was if I did not get out of the cold north now I would just get trapped and never realize my dream of summer all year long. I made it with no breakdowns , good thing because I had no towing insurance and where ever I landed I was going to be stuck. A few days in Florida and my battery went dead. It's all about having a dream and going for it. 45 years later I still love it here.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ok, some will think I am cold hearted and have no compassion. First I truly feel for this couple, but they are young. In 1972, when I was 22, I was a 2LT in the Army making NOTHING. I can remember having to get return refunds on quart glass coke bottles to get enough money so my wife and I could have a night out and go to McDonalds for dinner! Yes, it was a PITA having to work many long hours, few days off, away from home alot, and barely making ends meet. But I did that for 47 years, and now can do whatever I want and buy most anything I want. At 26 years old, a lot of millennials have no concept of truly having to WORK to be able to live "the dream"! They expect it given to them. If all the money you have in the world is just enough to by a very old, probably not updated/upgraded, and questionable quality boat, with NO insurance, then you have no business going that route. And you certainly have no right to expect others to bail you out of your problems that you were totally ill prepared for! Hopefully, because they are young, they have time to get their heads on straight, work their asses off for the next 40 years, and THEN go live their dream, which by then they will deserve! I hope only for the best for them, and that this will be a life changing lesson learned!

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would also feel obligated to give up my man card, stop looking at myself in the mirror, apologize to my mother for going against what she taught me/how she raised me and reiterate to my son that he should do what i say not what i do. I would also go to church a lot more often.
yep same here. damn pride. LOL

Ok, some will think I am cold hearted and have no compassion. First I truly feel for this couple, but they are young. In 1972, when I was 22, I was a 2LT in the Army making NOTHING. I can remember having to get return refunds on quart glass coke bottles to get enough money so my wife and I could have a night out and go to McDonalds for dinner! Yes, it was a PITA having to work many long hours, few days off, away from home alot, and barely making ends meet. But I did that for 47 years, and now can do whatever I want and buy most anything I want. At 26 years old, a lot of millennials have no concept of truly having to WORK to be able to live "the dream"! They expect it given to them. If all the money you have in the world is just enough to by a very old, probably not updated/upgraded, and questionable quality boat, with NO insurance, then you have no business going that route. And you certainly have no right to expect others to bail you out of your problems that you were totally ill prepared for! Hopefully, because they are young, they have time to get their heads on straight, work their asses off for the next 40 years, and THEN go live their dream, which by then they will deserve! I hope only for the best for them, and that this will be a life changing lesson learned!

sounds familiar. diggin quarters from Under your car seat to buy movie tickets LOL

WAAY back in the day, wife and I first dating... I was around 19. I had just lost my seasonal job, then started a new job so no income for awhile.... Went to Indiana, a 5hr drive, to to see her sisters new baby.... After filling my tank, I had $32 in my checking account with 3 days to go til payday... Of course I had to have cigarettes @ 1.90/pk (quit those 14yrs ago though thankfully) and gas, and still have something leftover to get gas and to eat on the ride home. withdrew $25 and we made it work, AND still had enough for a breakfast sammich before work on payday, deposit check at lunch.... lol You learn to stretch. And, I don't remember being upset. we had a great time.

I think, if one has been through that type of situation, they understand the need to ration, and be careful. My parents were easy on me... so I had to learn the hard way, and am TERRIBLE at managing funds lol so, Trying to be wary of this with my kids. Making it too easy on them, is doing them(and ultimately, all of us) a disservice.

I feel bad for this couple too, but they should be learning a tough lesson about life, like many of us have, instead, they are being rewarded for their poor decision making skills. should make for great grown-ups.. LOL

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There are all kinds of pride. I remember someone too proud to collect unemployment as he thought of it as a handout. It's a benefit for folks on the exact situation he was on. I thought it was foolish of him, it was benefit that was funded by his work, and directly related to the need he had.

Don't be that proud.

I have a friend, who is an Iraq war veteran, with injuries from that war, that refuses to take veteran discounts. Told him, you know the rest of us dont mind, its the least we could all do... Says the stuff he saw there made him completely hate the war, and be against it, and not want to fight, and he shouldnt be rewarded for that...

heavy stuff..

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Well as for the sail boating kids, I honestly worry that this is not going to be their last catastrophe, doing a long voyage in a sail boat where you are on your own if something bad happens may be their downfall, only because I believe they probably need a lot more experience to tackle this sort of adventure once you get in trouble it's a life or death situation pretty quickly. I know just the storms rolling in on me out 16 miles off the coast fishing in a 19 foot boat made a believer out of me very quickly.

Jebinok

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hard work has me where I'm at today. Talk about poor, been there done that. Baby boomer here, 1960. The wife and i needed a window unit A/C when we first got married, couldn't sleep it was so hot. It was $200 dollars and we had to finance it............ I got my ass whooped more than a lot of times, earned every thing, and can't believe the children of today. cry babies, he touched me, I'm offended, bed wetters! Sorry, just my 2 cents.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What's the old saying? "Nice work if you can get it..."

I, too, am rather flabbergasted by the concept of "I don't wanna work - I'll get the internet to finance me" but if I would have thought of it, I would have tried it.

Sociopolitical considerations aside, I fear for these two. Their boat SANK and yet it doesn't seem to have put the fear of God into them. As their boat was going down under them, I wonder if they ever thought to themselves "What if we were far out at sea with no one to call for help?" Or did they figure that an EPIRB (don't know if they actually had one) would magically summon aid and everything would be all right?

I fear we have raised a generation that counts on "the system" to protect them. They seem to think that there will always be someone there to bail them out if they get in trouble - because someone HAS always been there.

They have abdicated their personal responsibility for their own safety to "the system" and count on it to be there for them when they fall.

They never feel the need to calculate the risks involved in what they are about to do.

They have been taught through both word and deed that "It will be O.K." and it usually is - until it isn't.

They have no concept of how the crutch that they lean so heavily upon actually works and what its limitations are.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Someone on this web site who could expound on the dangers involved would be @Ben Okopnik he did travel all over in a sail boat if I recall correctly.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
If you think this GoFundMe was bad - check out this one: https://www.gofundme.com/551e4j4

Girl does meth and rips out her own eyes. Now she wants 50 grand.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you think this GoFundMe was bad - check out this one: https://www.gofundme.com/551e4j4

Girl does meth and rips out her own eyes. Now she wants 50 grand.
She is actually a pretty amazing person (with a terrible mental illness), having come out and said what she did, which I don't think was easy for both her and her mom.
Addiction can do terrible things to a human brain, and she is helping a lot of people - to understand just how bad it can get.
Just my 0.02. (I think she's a winner)

--

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
She is actually a pretty amazing person (with a terrible mental illness), having come out and said what she did, which I don't think was easy for both her and her mom.
Addiction can do terrible things to a human brain, and she is helping a lot of people - to understand just how bad it can get.
Just my 0.02. (I think she's a winner)

--
I've had a extremely close family member have their life change due to drugs. I have no sympathy and it is not a mental illness. It is of your doing. We all make our own decisions and live with the consequences. I do not know her, and nothing I have read gives me the impression she is an amazing person, if anything quite the opposite. If she wants to make the most out this situation, she can travel to drug rehab facilities and schools and tell her story, hoping others don't go down her path. I will agree though that her problem will hopefully help others. They should make this into a short video and show it to middle school kids, or a commercial like the smoking ones. Never had the urge to smoke, and those smoking commercials amplified that times 1000 lol.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
it is not a mental illness
Well, not according to DSM-5. But I would agree - those issues are debatable. Like many medical diagnoses.

If she wants to make the most out this situation, she can travel to drug rehab facilities and schools and tell her story, hoping others don't go down her path. I will agree though that her problem will hopefully help others.
I think this is exactly the case, no question this is already trickling down and helping people be aware.
Many people who study these issues believe her account to be quite realistic. Shocking as it is.

--

AlphaKap

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I read about her this weekend and took me two days to get it out of my brain. Now it's back.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
that Meth eyeball gouging story is confusing me. I want to laugh so badly. but its seriously depressing. I don't feel they deserve rewarded for it. there is no positive spin that could make this worthy of $36k which is what it was at when I last checked....

meth isn't a new problem, either. I'm absolutely terrified, that even though my kids are good, well adjusted, respectful young men....a moment of poor judgment (don't kid yourselves, we all have some) in front of their peers could ruin them, even if just by association. (anyone see the story about the kids dropping rocks on cars from an overpass in Michigan? devastating)