• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Couple sells all possessions for sailboat, sinks 2 days into trip

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've had a extremely close family member have their life change due to drugs. I have no sympathy and it is not a mental illness. It is of your doing. We all make our own decisions and live with the consequences. I do not know her, and nothing I have read gives me the impression she is an amazing person, if anything quite the opposite. If she wants to make the most out this situation, she can travel to drug rehab facilities and schools and tell her story, hoping others don't go down her path. I will agree though that her problem will hopefully help others. They should make this into a short video and show it to middle school kids, or a commercial like the smoking ones. Never had the urge to smoke, and those smoking commercials amplified that times 1000 lol.
I do agree with this 100% and have always had a problem with the term "illness" thrown around for so many "problems"
I as well as many millions of others dont or didnt choose to have cancer, if there was a choice to be made i would have said no to the cancer and yes to keeping my kidney.
The meth was put in her body by her choice.
Sorry no sympathy here

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Do smokers who develop lung cancer not deserve sympathy, empathy, and treatment? I'm not trying to be argumentative, but there are many 'legitimate' illnesses that are derived directly from choices that the afflicted made. Cigarettes, cheeseburgers, ignoring sunscreen, salty foods and too much sugar - etc.

I don't know that I call addiction an illness, but it's a massive problem that requires empathy and a willingness to acknowledge that yes, the person screwed up and got themselves where they are, but that they don't need to be tossed to the gutter. There's something to it that is more than poor choices. You and I (and most others) can drink a few beers and stop (or even binge for a week on vacation, and stop). We can take percs after oral surgery and not have a craving for more. There are people who can't do that. Some of it is a lack of fortitude, some of it is a predisposition to addiction.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do smokers who develop lung cancer not deserve sympathy, empathy, and treatment? I'm not trying to be argumentative, but there are many 'legitimate' illnesses that are derived directly from choices that the afflicted made. Cigarettes, cheeseburgers, ignoring sunscreen, salty foods and too much sugar - etc.

I don't know that I call addiction an illness, but it's a massive problem that requires empathy and a willingness to acknowledge that yes, the person screwed up and got themselves where they are, but that they don't need to be tossed to the gutter. There's something to it that is more than poor choices. You and I (and most others) can drink a few beers and stop (or even binge for a week on vacation, and stop). We can take percs after oral surgery and not have a craving for more. There are people who can't do that. Some of it is a lack of fortitude, some of it is a predisposition to addiction.
Well-spoken.

--

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

I can understand your point of view. If anyone seeks treatment, they deserve it and I don't think any one has a problem with that. I can give sympathy to those that were unaware of their consequences. A smoker from 1950/60 compared to a millennial smoker. I am sorry but tough luck millennial... you knew what you were getting your self into. I also have no sympathy for obese people. I love food as much as the next guy, but again, pretty hard to sympathize with someone who lets it get out of control. I have had two friends under who 30 have had skin cancer (Florida sun is no joke)... I still give them crap for being idiots. At the end of the day I firmly believe if you want help, it starts with you and you only. I can respect you for trying to make your life better and fix your own mistakes, but I do not sympathize. Will power is stronger than any addiction, and if you want something bad enough you can change your own life. This is exactly why hardcore users can kick it and some people can't. Some prefer the high over everything else... and that is their choice, and they get to live with it.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Will power is stronger than any addiction
One would wish. In reality, addiction is far more complicated than a failure of will power. Yes, it is possible with enough will power to "beat" an addiction (or "white-knuckle" through it) but that rarely lasts without achieving some sort of emotional sobriety. Which can be the tough part.

--

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe when @adrianp89 spoke of "choice" he was talking about the choice to start taking the illegal drugs in the first place, not the "choice" of trying to quit them once addicted.
Let's not forget that the drugs these people are using are, for the most part, illegal. That means they are not only addicts, but also criminals. Last time I checked, salty food, cheeseburgers, etc were not illegal.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I might be one of those 1/4 life crisis people lol. I woke up in the middle of night and decided I didn't want to go through life not enjoying things. So I bought my boat 2 months later (a few months after turning 28) and here I am.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I might be one of those 1/4 life crisis people lol. I woke up in the middle of night and decided I didn't want to go through life not enjoying things. So I bought my boat 2 months later (a few months after turning 28) and here I am.
You're Doin' it Right!

--

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Age 33. Have owned 3 boats. All with loans that I pay for with a job. Where does that put me?

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
nothing wrong with a quarter life crisis. Just had my third-life crisis (I hope!)

Last edited:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just checked on the Shipwreckers and unbelievably they've attained $16816.00 of $10000.00 goal!!!! Once again, (Im pretty sure just like all the previous times they ran to an adult to fix their messes) they're getting bailed out by others. So disgusted....

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just checked on the Shipwreckers and unbelievably they've attained $16816.00 of $10000.00 goal!!!! Once again, (Im pretty sure just like all the previous times they ran to an adult to fix their messes) they're getting bailed out by others. So disgusted....
F@ck me. I'm quitting my job.

--

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
And they were given a new boat for 1 dollar, It only takes one emergency or one of those gulf storms rolling up on you to make you wonder WHAT WAS I THINKING? been there done that! Quit going off shore after that.