• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Dealer not holding up their agreement after sale

jet-r-done

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So here is the story, sorry it is a little lengthy.
So I purchased a new 2015 Ar240 last February after attending the local boat show. As part of the sale, I was promised an extended 2 year YES warranty as part of the boat show incentive. The sale went through, and I was told everything was taken care of. Didn't really give it much other thought. Well, the start of December I start getting emails from Yamaha saying my warranty will expire in February and how I can purchase the extended warranty. I contact my dealer (Fredricks Marine) and explain the situation. He says he remembers the agreement and will look into it and get it taken care of. After a week of not hearing back, I again contact the dealer. I am told that he has taken care of the situation, and that I should be getting an email or something in the mail letting me know that everything is good to go. Well today, I get another warranty expiration email from Yamaha. I call the Yamaha warranty Dept directly and am told that no, I do not have any extended warranty!!
Any suggestions on where to go from here? I have emails proving the extended warranty was part of the sales agreement. I am afraid if I call the dealer again, all I will get is more BS. I should have, and will next time, listened to Mikey and gone the extra distance to Wedowee marine. Instead, I was trying to support a new and local Yamaha dealer.

Go to the dealership and have them call Yamaha on the speaker phone.

I work for a dealer so this is how it works.

During the boat show the dealer has to fill out a form listing all the units sold and whether they got the promo extended warranty. That form goes to Yamaha, and Yamaha places the warranty in effect. Every once in a while one falls through the crack, happens with with me every couple of years. The dealer at this point will contact there Yamaha rep and they will get the warranty put in place. Sometimes it takes a little while (a few weeks), but they'll take care of it. And to my knowledge Yamaha won't send you anything, you'll have to check back and either call the dealer or Yamaha. I'd have the dealer print out a warranty card once it's been taken care of though.

Last edited:
Yes that same thing happened to me and as stated it took a bit of time but the warranty problem was straightened out.
I would wait a week and then contact the f &I dep. of the dealership, tell them you are following up on the issue and ask for an update.

Going through this now with the *used* boat I bought last year. Even have a copy of the bill of sale that says clearly 5 year extended warranty. Lots of back and forth but the bottom line is exactly as @Williamsone46 said - it was a screw-up after the show and it's being sorted out but it takes time. In my case, YES and the dealer have confirmed that the matter won't be *completely* fixed until the current (incorrect) warranty is closer to expiry, also at the end of this February, BTW. Something about how they have to enter it in their system apparently?

Ok, I will just touch base with the dealer again on Monday and try and be patient. I guess I have never really gotten a warm fuzzy feeling from this dealer and feel they could care less after they got the sale. Thanks for the advice and I will keep you all posted.

Good luck with this @jet-r-done hopefully they will get it all figured out soon. Keep us posted.

I might suggest that you correspond with the dealer representative as much as possible via email and establish a history of documentation.

Not sure about everyone else but I got all sorts of paperwork from Yamaha a couple months after the purchase explaining the extended warranty with a YES service card and all the dates of the warranty.

Back