• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Did Yamaha miss on the 22 series <2023>

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The real question if you look at it from a different angle.

If the AR220 doesn't perform as well as an AR210 so be it. But will a 222 with 1.8's out perform an AR250 with the same engines?

As those that were crying that Yamaha needed more displacement in the 250/252 series maybe they just needed a lighter hull with a similar design, like the 222's with 1.8 option? We will wait to see the performance numbers. But I bet the 1.8's in that new hull will run really well.

I'm poppin popcorn as we speak.....

This is the thought process of a 242ls owner. Go bigger to a 252/255, or downsize just slightly to a 222 and possibly get more out of the engines we love.

Last edited:

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Having 1.8s now Im not willing to spend +75k to replace them in a 22foot boat with less "cabin" space. I have spent a few days on twin TR1s and they were uninspiring. Im not the 1 saying they need more than the 1.8s as they do great in 21-22 foot crafts, just the TR1 is a huge step down sorry.

WA61

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am fine with the new 222 power. My problem is will it fit through my 9ft garage door, and it looks like a big NO. I was prepared to call the local dealer this week and get on the list for a 222SE or 222XE, but no way if I can’t store it inside. Why the hell can’t Yamaha make a boat that normal people can put in their detached garage, I mean come on. I have a 26x40 garage but I cannot get a 22ft boat in it! WTH

Right now the 22ft is a big miss until I see otherwise.

Mesa50

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Spartanburg, South Carolina Lake Hartwell/Keowee
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
Having 1.8s now Im not willing to spend +75k to replace them in a 22foot boat with less "cabin" space. I have spent a few days on twin TR1s and they were uninspiring. Im not the 1 saying they need more than the 1.8s as they do great in 21-22 foot crafts, just the TR1 is a huge step down sorry.
Maybe it’s an optical illusion, but all the under seat storage openings looked smaller on the 22 than the previous 21 models. I guess this is from pushing the rear transom seats so far inward. Or maybe from being able to stick a larger cooler behind the captains chairs. When I watched the video, I was left wondering why they made a bigger boat, with smaller hinged seats and openings in the bow and cockpit. It’s not really worth the extra room on the back platform to lose so much space under the seats. Not to me anyway.

Last edited:

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Coming from 1.8s on a 21 I dont want a boat with engines that are "good enough" then again Im not known for acquiescing

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Coming from 1.8s on a 21 I dont want a boat with engines that are "good enough" then again Im not known for acquiescing
Guess you gotta get a 25' lol

Tex72

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On our lake, it’s bulk-headed & choppy, and on busy days it can get pretty traffic heavy too. I don’t get to WOT a lot..

When I do open it up (AR210), the TR-1’s get up to 40 mph, loaded w/ people and gear. I’ve gotten up to 46 on smooth w/ just me (That was during break in, so it might do better now?)

The seating and storage being reduced would concern me more than the power. I do like the cooler space behind the captain’s chair though (AR220)…keeps from being in the middle of everything.

Last edited:

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I know everyone has their opinion but I’m really disappointed in the 22’ series. I think the 22’ Fish is a great improvement but for the family runabout the non fish ones I’m no longer interested. Either keep my 21’, go to the 25’ or buy a surf boat. Did you see boat test review 43mph was the top speed with the 1.8’s on a 222 (I did notice they’ve switched to 160mm pumps unless all the literature is wrong which very well could be) and this was achieved without a full tank of fuel and minimal passenger weight. With this said the TR1’s are obviously slower by 5mph or better, really think they should offer the supercharged motors in this boat. If they actually did make the pump bigger maybe a better hole shot for weight but less top end speed? The 22’ drawbacks I see is you can no longer store these in a 8’ door, I know several people that do (including myself) and I know someone who wanted to buy one but now that he can’t store it I think he has lost interest. Even a local dealer was optimistic they would make these fit in an 8’ door. The other issue I see with the 22’ is it really appears the storage is smaller, reminds me when they upgraded the 19’ models. Thinking they should of kept the 21’ and made a 23’. I like the soft ballast bags, they should get rid of the hard tanks on the 25’ as well. The only time I think hard tanks make sense is if it was below the floor (not in the ski locker), this way when your not using ballast you still have storage. I do like the bigger canopy and higher free board I just feel that they now don’t have a great entry 21’ boat.

Last edited:

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I think we need to see real world data to know if the performance would be acceptable or disappointing to our individual needs. Quite honestly, I don't expect to see a huge performance issue from 210's. The new hull is 8" longer and likely shaped a bit different. Better or worse, who knows? Regarding test conditions, make sure gas on board is the same as tested as with the 210 (this keeps the weight difference to within a couple of hundred pounds.) It may turn out that performance is not much different from the 210.

Personally, I love the changes on both the bow-rider and the c.c. A new 21' Yamaha wasn't even on my short list for a new boat, but the 22' has shot to the top of my list.

Jim

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I don't like the styling/profile. Lost it's swept back look.
I respect your opinion, but I think the higher freeboard makes it an even better boat for those of us along the coast.

Jim

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@SCP1

Well if I can get on one in two weeks at the show, I can can get a quick feel for the storage, since I have crawled all around mine and got a stuck a few times :) I know it intimately.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
@SCP1

Well if I can get on one in two weeks at the show, I can can get a quick feel for the storage, since I have crawled all around mine and got a stuck a few times :) I know it intimately.
Either way if I upgrade I’m getting a 255 or a surf boat!

Tex72

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wonder how much the extra 9” helps with the ride.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Either way if I upgrade I’m getting a 255 or a surf boat!
I would either do a 222 FSH or a 250 or a 25' FSH.

Cas1986

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I respect your opinion, but I think the higher freeboard makes it an even better boat for those of us along the coast.

Jim
Regardless of practically, I like like being able to identify fellow yama's from a distance.:p I might mistake the 22 for a van dutch:p

Tex72

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

drober30

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SD
Boat Length
@SCP1

The Metro show? I did not see a listing for Yamaha but it would be great if they had one there. I'm hoping to see one at the Detroit show in January.