• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Did Yamaha miss on the 22 series <2023>

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I could never live in an area with a HOA. Even though I like to keep my place looking good and keep things tidy I've still got trailers I'd want
Doesn't really surprise me. We had a home built on our lot and got quotes from several builders. Some builders would make zero structural changes. Had one salesman (at one of the larger builders in our area) tell me he can't make changes because the work crews wouldn't lsee them on the drawings. Talk about a huge red flag! We ended up using a custom builder and customize one of their plans. 100% satisfied with our build.

Jim
That's why I was my own general on our house. Got what I wanted and no one to blame but myself if it wasn't right.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
avez vous des developpements sur les performance du AR 220 ?

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
I could never live in an area with a HOA. Even though I like to keep my place looking good and keep things tidy I've still got trailers I'd want

That's why I was my own general on our house. Got what I wanted and no one to blame but myself if it wasn't right.
Our next property/home will not be in an HOA. As you said need a space for a trailer/s an outbuilding et cetera.

Last edited:

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are next property/home will not be in an HOA. As you said need a space for a trailer/s an outbuilding et cetera.
It’s been a while since I posted that and now I live in a neighborhood with a HOA. Is about as lenient as can be. I can have trailers, boat, outbuilding and do about anything I want. A year ago I had no intentions of moving but things happen and stuff changes. So far I’m happy withy the decision and am adjusting to the new life we’ve started down south.

ewlegal

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello everyone, took the family out today and test drove the AR220. We are looking to upgrade our 2008 AR230 and after reading about the new hull design and cabin layout we thought it might be a viable option. My primary concerns going into it came down to power and storage compared to our current boat.

After taking it out I can say my concerns were spot on. It has at least 1/3rd less storage and is missing an area for larger storage. The lack of power compared to our nearly 15yr old boat is immensely noticeable primarily when turning under hard throttle. The 220 bogs way down on speed and feels like it is fighting itself. I will say that it gets up to plane fairly quickly and it will cruise at about 25mph just above 6000rpm. But it falls flat on top end speed. I would not feel great running WOT all the time just to break 30-35 mph. With that said, for those just looking to do light tubing for younger kids and just a casual cruiser, this boat would check the box. The interior is great for a 22' boat and does swing above its weight in that respect. Very spacious inside and the squared off bow and transom makes a huge difference in space. Seating wise it feels just as large as the 230 in the main cabin area and larger in the bow.

After the test drive we wondered back over to the lot and we took a look at a 2023 AR250 they just pulled the wrapping off of that was built in May. Needless to say once we got up inside that cabin we were sold. We put the deposit down and we trade in the 230 next week.

Hope this quick write up helps anyone that is facing the same questions we had going into the process.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Good points. The jump from the A220 to the 222s is $16K and if you want the Wake series XE you're at $81,300 and if you want the XD $108K. As some have stated previously, in other posts, they may have out priced their market.
Did a demo on a 222xd …. Was disappointed- the surf wave is better on my 195s. About the same or less storage and was no improvement over the 195 in chop. I must say the paddle thrusters was awesome though. And the sales guy was amazing. We’re now looking into a Supreme 232zs

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Did a demo on a 222xd …. Was disappointed- the surf wave is better on my 195s. About the same or less storage and was no improvement over the 195 in chop. I must say the paddle thrusters was awesome though. And the sales guy was amazing. We’re now looking into a Supreme 232zs
Not saying you’re liar but there is no way the 195 handles chop the same as a 22’. Also how can you judge the surf wave if you’re riding in chop? I expect storage similarities since ballast take up a lot of room.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
After the test drive we wondered back over to the lot and we took a look at a 2023 AR250 they just pulled the wrapping off of that was built in May. Needless to say once we got up inside that cabin we were sold. We put the deposit down and we trade in the 230 next week.

Hope this quick write up helps anyone that is facing the same questions we had going into the process.
Welcome back to the good old days of boat shopping. Where dealers have inventory and you can actually make a comparison between models by walking through them, or taking a test drive.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Not saying you’re liar but there is no way the 195 handles chop the same as a 22’. Also how can you judge the surf wave if you’re riding in chop? I expect storage similarities since ballast take up a lot of room.
If you surf a lot, especially from a Yamaha, one can eye up a surf wave pretty easily.

WA61

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We have pretty much given up on Yamaha unfortunately. We wanted a new boat for the last 3 years that was bigger than our 2013 AR190, but the local dealer still isn’t getting boats. At this point we are 10 years older and have decided we are tired of taking a beating on the lake and sometimes just want to cruise around without the engine screaming at 6000 rpm, so we are probably going to look for a boring pontoon boat. The 190 has been a good boat and we might even keep it if the daughter wants to wake board.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The supreme wave will crush anything in the Yamaha lineup. Just the nature of the beast for a purpose built tow boat.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
The surf wave is disappointing to hear, the only way this will be good is with a custom ballast bag on the back. This is why I’m just not sold on the loosing all the storage for ballast. I like the 22’ but would not buy one as it has less storage than my 21’. Without them making a head which is really the only useable storage on the boats with ballast. If I buy another Yamaha it would be a 25’ especially since the 22’ sits so high on the trailer. I just don’t understand how it rides about the same. My 21’ handles the chop way different than my old 19’. I would expect the new 22’ to handle the chop better than the 21’.

TommyMcK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Owning a 222xd, my experience is opposite. Handles chop way better than one would expect and definitely better than a 195. The paddles on the other hand are gimmicky and not particularly useful if you have even modest experience with Yamaha twin engine boats. I won't comment on the wave as that's dependent on a bunch of conditions...wasn't clear from your post if you used the ballast tanks. In general though, if your goal is primarily surfing, Yamaha will not likely be first choice. To me anyway, it hits the sweet spot.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
The surf wave is disappointing to hear, the only way this will be good is with a custom ballast bag on the back. This is why I’m just not sold on the loosing all the storage for ballast. I like the 22’ but would not buy one as it has less storage than my 21’. Without them making a head which is really the only useable storage on the boats with ballast. If I buy another Yamaha it would be a 25’ especially since the 22’ sits so high on the trailer. I just don’t understand how it rides about the same. My 21’ handles the chop way different than my old 19’. I would expect the new 22’ to handle the chop better than the 21’.
I have a 2020 212S, no built in ballast. With 500lbs of lead in the boat and one bag on the transom, I throw a better wave than my buddy and his 242X with all the built-ins. And... I retain all my storage areas and no extra electronics or pumps to f around with. The only downside is tying up and filling the transom bag is a manual process.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Owning a 222xd, my experience is opposite. Handles chop way better than one would expect and definitely better than a 195. The paddles on the other hand are gimmicky and not particularly useful if you have even modest experience with Yamaha twin engine boats. I won't comment on the wave as that's dependent on a bunch of conditions...wasn't clear from your post if you used the ballast tanks. In general though, if your goal is primarily surfing, Yamaha will not likely be first choice. To me anyway, it hits the sweet spot.
Agreed on a sweet spot. I LOVE the Yamahas as an all around Swiss Army knife of boats. We were surfing using stock ballast system. Multiple combos. I came to the conclusion the 222 needs extra transom ballast bag at minimum. I was comparing surf ability to a 195 with 750 lbs ballast. Shopping surf boats now..

adeptds

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Don't really get the comments on the lack of storage - how far are you going on this type of boat. I have plenty of space after loading all the 5 towels i will ever need :) As far as power on the SX220, I wish they put in the 1.8 but the TR-1s do ok, it doesn't feel as fast as my 195SX but it doesn't feel like it's struggling, just not really "sporty".