• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Did Yamaha miss on the 22 series <2023>

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't get the lack of power comments. The twin TR-1s did just fine on the 210s. They could pull close to 40mph. Safe cruising speed is about 30mph. They had no issues pulling tubers or wakeboarders.
The 210's don't lack power, they just lacked a higher end speed, which is what some want. I can pull all watersports just fine even loaded up.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The question is really 'what is adequate top speed?'and maybe 'how quickly will the boat get on plane?' If most people probably cruise at 25 - 30 mph, does it really matter if the top speed is 45 or 40 mph? For some folks, absolutely, for others, not at all.

Jim

Epsmith19

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Other
We’re complaining about needing more power before anyone has even test drove one. More power is always welcomed but let’s see what they do before we start judging.
There are some people here that are ALWAYS going to complain about power. I say if top end power is your thing go get a CC with big twin V8 outboards

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
There are some people here that are ALWAYS going to complain about power. I say if top end power is your thing go get a CC with big twin V8 outboards
Then they will complain there is no swim platform lol

bubbasuwannee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
For me, top end of 45-50 is ideal. But realistically, I cruise 30-40 tops. 30 give or take is the sweet spot for fuel consumption and safety in our FSH 195. With that being said, We're going to opt for the 222 FSH with the 1.8L guessing similar top speed as our 195. I'm sure the 220 will struggle to hit 40 based on comparing to what people say they hit with their FSH 210.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For some folks, absolutely, for others, not at all.
Jim
I only ever complain when I'm racing someone else :D

just barely outran my buddies 24ft TriToon to the favorite swim spot on Sunday. 4-ish mile drive at WOT the whole way. Beat him by about 3 boat lengths. Wish I had the 195 then.

Did 2.5hrs of wake sports on Saturday evening though. never broke 25mph and had zero complaints about power/speed/control. Then cruised back to the ramp at a comfy 30mph, again with no complaints.

It's all about perspective.

*edit* Also, to be completely clear. I was lusting over a 212X/212 Limited S awhile back for this very reason. Twin 1.8's in a small hull seemed like it would be a rocket ship. There's something neat about saying you've got a family jetboat that can keep up with most of the other boats on the lake, and give that jerk in a Baja a solid run for his money......But there's a lot of coin to be spent just to have bragging rights. Would've gladly spent it in my youth, now, not so much. */edit*

Last edited:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I only ever complain when I'm racing someone else :D

just barely outran my buddies 24ft TriToon to the favorite swim spot on Sunday. 4-ish mile drive at WOT the whole way. Beat him by about 3 boat lengths. Wish I had the 195 then.

Did 2.5hrs of wake sports on Saturday evening though. never broke 25mph and had zero complaints about power/speed/control. Then cruised back to the ramp at a comfy 30mph, again with no complaints.

It's all about perspective.

*edit* Also, to be completely clear. I was lusting over a 212X/212 Limited S awhile back for this very reason. Twin 1.8's in a small hull seemed like it would be a rocket ship. There's something neat about saying you've got a family jetboat that can keep up with most of the other boats on the lake, and give that jerk in a Baja a solid run for his money......But there's a lot of coin to be spent just to have bragging rights. Would've gladly spent it in my youth, now, not so much. */edit*
Lake boats are a different realm. Guys have pontoons doing 100+mph. One of their motors is worth more than a 220.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lake boats are a different realm. Guys have pontoons doing 100+mph. One of their motors is worth more than a 220.
Saw a Manitou on Cumberland a few years back with twin Mercury 450R's on the back. Dude was running with the big boys at the poker run. Not sure I'd want to drive my patio quite that fast more than once though :D

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Saw a Manitou on Cumberland a few years back with twin Mercury 450R's on the back. Dude was running with the big boys at the poker run. Not sure I'd want to drive my patio quite that fast more than once though :D
60k a motor - you gotta pay to play.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If my pontoon would do 40mph I'd still have it.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In my area, I have inland lakes where top speed doesn't matter, it is all about water sports. Then I have LSC and the Great Lakes, where top speed does make a difference for 20+ mile runs and a nice to have.

I like what I am seeing on the 222 FSH Sport for $64k MSRP, I have already spoken with my dealer and he will get me on one to check it out the first one he gets in. But with all the fees and upcharges, note..he and I haven't talked price as of yet, If it is in the low 70's I probably would pass for now.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Buddies 24ft Berkshire does 36-ish at WOT. That's a 3/4 center toon, with a Mercury 150 on the back. Bimini down he might hit 37. He debated hard on getting a 225 for it instead of the 150. I think his wife was already balking at the $40k-ish price tag, so he settled a bit.

My AR190 with the bimini up and 4 people aboard is barely breaking into the 38mph range now. I think I'm due for an oil and plug change, and probably a good hull cleaning. Used to hit 42 relatively easy. I'm sure everyone aboard has gained weight, and we bring all kinds of crap with us now that we didn't use to.

If I didn't tow so much then the pontoon would have been a fine choice for us. I just hate the thought of towing a giant sail like that around all the time. Same buddy and I vacationed together in '19. Essentially same trucks towing (he had the 10spd I had an 6spd, but otherwise same. He got 9mpg towing the pontoon, i got closer to 13mpg with the 190.

You certainly can't beat the usefulness of the floating patio layout!

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
That is pretty easy to achieve. My friend has a 25' Bennington with a Yamaha 250. It will do 40.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is pretty easy to achieve. My friend has a 25' Bennington with a Yamaha 250. It will do 40.
We had a 25' Premier with a Yamaha 90 on it and the fastest I seen was 24mph. We looked at repowering but for the $$ it wasn't worth it. We did some hard math and at the end of the day we decided to go a different route and that's when we purchased the AR230. Do i miss the pontoon? Of course but I also love the 230.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
We had a 25' Premier with a Yamaha 90 on it and the fastest I seen was 24mph. We looked at repowering but for the $$ it wasn't worth it. We did some hard math and at the end of the day we decided to go a different route and that's when we purchased the AR230. Do i miss the pontoon? Of course but I also love the 230.
Don't feel bad I had a 27 foot SanPan with a 115 yamaha. Would only do 22....lol

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I can tell you the number of times I've been over 40 in my sx230. 1 time. I wanted to beat a storm and get back to the marina and left with enough gap on all the other boats so the lakewas empty. I beat the storm, but the wife probably wouldn't go for it now with the kiddo.

The rest of that top speed above 40? Useless. Knowing what I know now, I'd care more about efficiency at low plane speeds than anything else.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Its not so much that you are traveling at top speed, its that if you have a top speed of 50 and you cruise at 30 your rpms are lower than if you have a top speed of 40 and cruise at 30. Which will make noise and fuel consumption different

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Its not so much that you are traveling at top speed, its that if you have a top speed of 50 and you cruise at 30 your rpms are lower than if you have a top speed of 40 and cruise at 30. Which will make noise and fuel consumption different
This is a great point....sort of.....

When comparing my 190 with a 212S during my Destin trip last year....we concluded that running 30-32mph in my 190 was sneaking up on WOT due to loading and sea conditions, where it would have been closer to a "leisurely cruise" in the 212. Both from a hull size and a power available standpoint.

We also determined it was nearly a wash on fuel because the underworked twin engines in the 212 were pulling as much fuel as my heavily worked single in the 190. I want to say we were within 1/2 gph or so when compared (as best we could anyway).

I do agree though, it's a lot like 4wd in a vehicle. It's nice to have when you need it, even if you don't use it every day. 50mph capable boat could get out ahead of a storm, or back to the ramp ahead of the rush if needed, 35mph boat is in with a lot of the rest of the crowd.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The 210's don't lack power, they just lacked a higher end speed, which is what some want. I can pull all watersports just fine even loaded up.
Unless you are at 5000’ with a density altitude of 8000’… then they struggle. Everyone has been to busy this summer to out tubing so I have not been able to test the new high altitude impellers while towing big Mable with 5 people on board…I could only get on plane going down wind…. there is still a few weeks left of warm water this season.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
Yes exactly.
60 and 40 would be even better.