• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

DIY Wake shaper ideas

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was curious what board everyone is using for wake surfing? The Liquid Force Happy Pill was recommended as a good fit for the 190's and curious if anyone has every tried that board?
So, I'm absolutely NOT in a position to advise on this, but just to share my experience - we tried various boards over the years of boating with friends and couldn't really decide. Finally we got the new Hyperlite Quad last year at a boat show, following good advice. Not the cheapest board, but it is incredibly versatile and my whole family uses it (seriously! - including myself and my 12yo, lol). Everyone gets up on it and can go ropeless. It is extremely well built and extremely light weight. Fits well in the OEM rack.
upload_2018-7-31_23-4-14.png

--

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I was curious what board everyone is using for wake surfing? The Liquid Force Happy Pill was recommended as a good fit for the 190's and curious if anyone has every tried that board?
We tried the Liquid Force Happy Pill, Victoria Captain, and the Doomswell El Jefe. Everyone likes the Doomswell the best, even the kids.

Rustynuts

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Finally saw a video one FB that showed the Wake Booster on a boat and being removed and showing the backside. It is quite a bit different than a wake wedge as it is curved around to the side of the boat and follows the contour of the swim platform. I was able to capture a pic that shows how it fits down the side but couldn’t get a clear pic of the backside showing the inside curve.

D11BD160-237A-4758-BF6F-5612F7DC9D81.jpeg

4553E317-0A5D-45A8-BCCF-A3B7C402FC2A.jpeg

Last edited:

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I’ll add info that I found out about the liquid force fish. When looking for a beginner board there was a lot of recommendations for the liquid force fish. Problem is I had a hard time finding one cause it was discontinued. After some research it became clear that liquid force created the Rocket as it’s replacement and is very much similar to the Fish. The LF Rocket has been a great first board for us. Weights from 95 lbs up the 170 have had ropeless success on it.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A little bit different than the Wake Wedge. It functions more like the Scarab Surf Stream. Meaning, it doesn't knock down the jet wash from the top to sculpt the wake but instead channels water from the side of the boat deflects it into the wake on the surf side to deflect the jet wash. It'll be interesting to watch what people can do with it.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes and no, https://jetboaters.net/threads/2019-release-coming-soon.18482/page-33#post-331178

It is a different concept, more like the Sacarba Surf Stream, but the install is mutually exclusive with the Wedge at least for now.
I would not bet against Gatlin Wake Wedge for he following simple reasons:
  1. Quality of the Wedge wake has been established, I doubt the Booster will exceed that; so far we have only seen limited reports/video/pics and those are (conspicuously) all shots of the port side wake (which is always better looking in YJBs due to impeller rotation)
  2. The set up with the Booster may be easier/faster, especially if no ballast is required (albeit wake quality may suffer)
  3. However the Wedge can be left alone, in place, for days with no adverse effects (when cruising etc.) while I would think the Booster would need to be installed/removed for normal operation

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ll add info that I found out about the liquid force fish. When looking for a beginner board there was a lot of recommendations for the liquid force fish. Problem is I had a hard time finding one cause it was discontinued. After some research it became clear that liquid force created the Rocket as it’s replacement and is very much similar to the Fish. The LF Rocket has been a great first board for us. Weights from 95 lbs up the 170 have had ropeless success on it.
The Rocket was my first board. I was able to go ropeless with it behind my 240. I wasn't running the best setup either. Just ballast, no wake wedge, surfing in circles. I decided last year to try to find a faster board. I got a boat show deal on the Hyperlite Time Machine and so far I really like it. I actually bought a couple wakeboards at the same time. In my discussion with the sales person about the wakeboards I was clued in to what I think is a key to what makes the time machine faster than my Liquid Force board. Rather than having a completely flat bottom the Hyperlite board has a center ridge that creates 2 concave channels down either side of the board.
20180816_075659.jpg
What this does is channels water from the front of the board allows it to flow out the back. This water would otherwise run up against the nose of the board causing a slight breaking effect. I've observed that the Liquid Force board and my Slingshot board (both flat bottoms) both seen to have more turbulence on the front of the board as water is displaced and forced back to the front and sides of the board. My guess is @swatski 's Quad probably shares a similar design.

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The Rocket was my first board. I was able to go ropeless with it behind my 240. I wasn't running the best setup either. Just ballast, no wake wedge, surfing in circles. I decided last year to try to find a faster board. I got a boat show deal on the Hyperlite Time Machine and so far I really like it. I actually bought a couple wakeboards at the same time. In my discussion with the sales person about the wakeboards I was clued in to what I think is a key to what makes the time machine faster than my Liquid Force board. Rather than having a completely flat bottom the Hyperlite board has a center ridge that creates 2 concave channels down either side of the board.
View attachment 81571
What this does is channels water from the front of the board allows it to flow out the back. This water would otherwise run up against the nose of the board causing a slight breaking effect. I've observed that the Liquid Force board and my Slingshot board (both flat bottoms) both seen to have more turbulence on the front of the board as water is displaced and forced back to the front and sides of the board. My guess is @swatski 's Quad probably shares a similar design.
Wow look at all those boards, man I'm envious!

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I also am using a liquid force rocket, fathers day gift. I've been able to go ropeless behind my 195 but the board tends to nose dive and is slow. Now I can't decide between the LL blue or the HL quad.

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
What size rocket do you have?

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow look at all those boards, man I'm envious!
Haha! I've collected a few in recent years. Added a wake foil this season (not pictured). No plans to buy anything else next season.
20170416_154752.jpg

tak2547

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
How do you drill and get bolt into the metal cup portion of the suction handle?