• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

DJI Mavic Drone

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The Smatree charger is better than the hub as it includes a more powerful AC adapter. This allow it to charge faster

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
They just released a white model as a limited time special, with three batteries for $1049. Not a bad deal if you were planning to pay retail anyway.

Mystic1906

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@seanmclean I like the look of the white but it makes no flipping sense. Why not release a white version with the platinum upgrades. It's like taking a backward step. With the peak buying season coming up this makes me scratch my head. Wonder which genius thought this one up.

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The white would also be a lot harder to spot in the sky.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@seanmclean I like the look of the white but it makes no flipping sense. Why not release a white version with the platinum upgrades. It's like taking a backward step. With the peak buying season coming up this makes me scratch my head. Wonder which genius thought this one up.
Yeah, totally would've made sense for the platinum one to be white. Not sure on the idea behind that, either.

The white would also be a lot harder to spot in the sky.
Wouldn't expect that to be a big deal. Nearly the entire phantom lineup is white and I never had an issue seeing it. Can't hardly tell the orientation of the mavic anyway when its more than fifty yards or so away.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Is the fly more bundle needed? Looks like extra batteries, which is probably good. And a backpack. Probably end up buying those anyway, so I'm leaning toward the bundle unless I could get the same components cheaper elsewhere.
I got the bundle with my Mavic Pro. I recommend it because you will need the extra batteries. And I love the Mavic Pro.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Abe,

I bought a couple of different ones first and knowing what I know now, I would have started with the Mavic. State Farm will insure it in case you crash or lose it. I think it’s 60.00 a year.
@firecap797 Cool, I think that's what I'm leaning toward as well. As a beginner and not really sure how I'll use it, I have been watching some Spark vs Mavic reviews. The Spark is enticing, but I still think I'm leaning toward the Mavic. I'd rather buy one I can grow into now and not be looking to upgrade soon if I don't buy big enough the first time.

Several reviewers have said that the Spark is much less intimidating for the audience. They say it looks more like a toy and folks don't get worked up over it like the larger ones.

I don't really think that will be an issue for me, as I expect most flights will be over landscape and very little crowd shots. Or, any crowds would likely be expecting it.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
New question: how do I determine where the nofly zones are? I loaded the DJI app on my phone just for kicks. It comes right up and tells me I live within 5 miles of a hospital w helipad and our local small town airport.

Additionally, my families farm where I would fly some is actually classified by the FAA as an airport. (Grass landing strip with a hangar where my cousin keeps his toy).

The app says I need to call the airports and let them know I plan to fly and get advice from them. Does that mean that this is not a nofly zone and it will let me skip through this warning? Just wondering if I need to reevaluate, if my 2 primary locations (home/farm) are unavailable.

I've seen it mentioned that DJI will lock the unit out of areas that are nofly?

Thanks,
Abe

firecap797

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
New question: how do I determine where the nofly zones are? I loaded the DJI app on my phone just for kicks. It comes right up and tells me I live within 5 miles of a hospital w helipad and our local small town airport.

Additionally, my families farm where I would fly some is actually classified by the FAA as an airport. (Grass landing strip with a hangar where my cousin keeps his toy).

The app says I need to call the airports and let them know I plan to fly and get advice from them. Does that mean that this is not a nofly zone and it will let me skip through this warning? Just wondering if I need to reevaluate, if my 2 primary locations (home/farm) are unavailable.

I've seen it mentioned that DJI will lock the unit out of areas that are nofly?

Thanks,
Abe
So I live less than five miles from a hospital as well. Never been an issue. I do get an alert on the screen telling me that I am in a flight path. I usually stay under 250 feet and always line of sight. I usually try and fly over nonpopulated areas so in case something happens, no one will get hurt. I did fly outside of a building that was a mile from an airport tower. I was about 60 feet up, but before I flew, I called the tower and got permission. DJI locks out the props unless you put in a special code that they text to you.

The last thing I want to do is cause an issue for an aircraft. There are tons of videos of people flying into commercial airspace, which is just dumb and dangerous to the pilots and passengers of that aircraft.

I had one pilot friend of mine tell me, “If I am at 400 feet less than a mile from the airport, I’m not worried about your drone, I’m calling a mayday.” But again, use common sense and you will be fine.

Also, go to DJI’s website and you can pull a map from there of the area you want to fly in and it will show you the no fly areas.

firecap797

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I should add that most air ambulances are at about 2000 - 3000 msl, but they have the authority to scrape the treetops if needed (like flying someone that needs decompression, etc)

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sounds like somebody needs to jailbreak these drones into a “everywhere is a fly zone”!!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
As @firecap797 pointed out you can go to dji’s website to determine if your new / newer DJI drone will be prevented from flying in some areas but these areas seem to constantly change with every firmware release. I used to be able to fly my DJI quadcopters around the block as I walked my dog, not anymore.

I don’t recall the terminology now but if you are in flight and the bird flys into a restricted area the bird will stop and hover unless or until you waive through the restriction. If you are about to fly into a no fly zone the bird will stop and hover at the geofence. You can still move it in any direction but past the line. If you are in a no fly zone the bird won’t even take off. This happened to me a few weeks ago in LA. My spark wouldn’t take off because I was in a no fly zon, the app said I was close to a prison, locals said no prison in the area but we were in the shadow of the la dodgers stadium.

One way to be sure, for now anyway, is to hit your local Craigslist to see if you can get a current djimowner to come out and fly in the locations you want to fly in. Keep in mind that the zones change with firmware updates. Some users stopped installing new firmware to avoid having their zones changed but if you do that you miss out on any firm upgrades as well. When the p3 advanced was realized it had a 1080 max res camera, to get to 2700 took a firmware upgrade, the same is true for some of the advanced flight modes.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My 2 cents... keep it simple guys. You’ll want something that is a recognizable brand, that is proven (DJI) and then if you are wanting to be adventurous you are going to want something compact (Spark or Mavic). Do you want great range, something that can hold its own in the wind? And feels substantial? Go Mavic. Just want to fly around the house and do selfies? Go Spark. Don’t talk yourself into a phantom that the size ain’t a big deal, bc it is. It’s a pain. If you are the weekend warrior there really is only one option and that’s the Mavic. I’ve had both and Mavic wins every time and sometimes I still think the Mavic isn’t as easy to just pull out and fly, but it’s the best option out there thus far.

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you are considering the spark look at the one that comes with the remote for a better price comparison to the yuncee, mavic and /or phantom. Once you do this it is easier to justify the purchase of the latter over the spark (e.g. More than double the flight time of the spark and 3x the range, plus a 3 axis gimble v 2 and a better camera for another $200 to $400).

Nothing wrong with the yuncee brand helis but they dont have the range or brand recognition that the dji products do.

Crlos16

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Do you guys know of any Black Friday deals on the DJI Spark W/remote? Looking for best deals

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Do you guys know of any Black Friday deals on the DJI Spark W/remote? Looking for best deals
I’m working on this, as well. DJI has a sale on their site. I’ve also come across this site w coupon codes.
http://www.deals4drone.com/

Keep us posted, please, if you pull the trigger on one. :)

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length