• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

DJI Mavic Drone

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Great pic! Where is your boat?

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Whats the software yall use besides the dji editor on the phone.. Thats NO BUENO lol

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Whats the software yall use besides the dji editor on the phone.. Thats NO BUENO lol
I use Corel VideoStudio x8. I think they are on X10 now. It is a big learning curve, but you can put together some decent videos once you get used to it. I know I only use about 15% of what it is capable of.

Here is my latest video.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Is the Mavic still the drone to get? Hoping for some Black Friday deals soon.

I did also find that DJI has education discounts of 10% with a school email address (for students or staff). Is that likely the best I can do?

Thanks!

Edit: This would be my first foray with a drone. Looking to do a little flying around the house, farm, and if brave enough some action shots at the lake. Maybe some following ATVs as well. Definitely amateur and personal use, so don't need pro quality. But, want to do it right, too.

Last edited:

firecap797

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

I did also find that DJI has education discounts of 10% with a school email address (for students or staff). Is that likely the best I can do?

Thanks!

Edit: This would be my first foray with a drone. Looking to do a little flying around the house, farm, and if brave enough some action shots at the lake. Maybe some following ATVs as well. Definitely amateur and personal use, so don't need pro quality. But, want to do it right, too.

Abe,

I bought a couple of different ones first and knowing what I know now, I would have started with the Mavic. State Farm will insure it in case you crash or lose it. I think it’s 60.00 a year.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
$976 AT costco and they had a ton of 'em today. Guess they are readily available now.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It's not the greatest as far as image quality is concerned, but I still really like mine - especially for boating. So easy to toss in the boat bag and have with you all the time.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks guys!

Anybody have any contrary advice? @Ronnie you sold yours recently, I think. Are you on to something better now?

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Thanks!

While it's my first (and only) drone and overall I do like it. I have to say for the cost mine has been a bit buggy. I have had several lost connections in close distance (with direct line of sight). As a result, I had a couple of scares over water during this video.

I did have a few mishaps (read: light crashes) early on so this may be a contributing factor.

I plan on using the extended warranty I purchased to swap the unit to see if the issues improve.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The Mavic gen 1 is still widely compnsidered to be the drone of choice if you want to do more than take selfies and want a collapsible drone that’s easy to transport. The Mavic 2 is quieter and has a slightly better camera I think but its not worth extra money to most and some of the noise reduction can be had just by putting v 2 rotor blades on the v1. If you don’t mind the size and can find one, the phantom 3 advance and pro are also great drones and the first phantom 4 is close to the same price as a mavic 1. I sold my phantom 4 recently and was thinking about waiting on the 5 but am leaning towards an airdog ii (follow me drone).

One thing that’s starting to frustrate me is all of the no fly zone / restricted flight zone areas that seem to increase with every DJI firmware upgrade. It’s gotten to he point that I can’t fly all the way around my block as a walk my dog or even more than 2 miles on the rivers or lakes I boat on without having to stop to waive through a geofence or stop and return to the border of a no fly zone to recover the drone.

I try to buy from Best Buy and or Costco whenever possible as most hobby stores have an out of sight return policy, that is the drone leaves the stores sight and it’s not returnable unlike Best Buy and Costco.

@0627Devildog , I wish you luck on the exchange but be forewarned as some have received refurbished instead of new products when dealing with DJI and some of these products came with issues of their own.

JEvanoff

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
While it's my first (and only) drone and overall I do like it. I have to say for the cost mine has been a bit buggy. I have had several lost connections in close distance (with direct line of sight). As a result, I had a couple of scares over water during this video.

I did have a few mishaps (read: light crashes) early on so this may be a contributing factor.

I plan on using the extended warranty I purchased to swap the unit to see if the issues improve.
WoW! I think your video was awesome!!! Great editing!!!

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The Mavic gen 1 is still widely compnsidered to be the drone of choice if you want to do more than take selfies and want a collapsible drone that’s easy to transport. The Mavic 2 is quieter and has a slightly better camera I think but its not worth extra money to most and some of the noise reduction can be had just by putting v 2 rotor blades on the v1.

Sensor on the 'mavic pro platinum' is the same, just slightly better battery life and quieter. That said, there hasn't been a 'Mavic 2' yet, and I doubt we'll get to next summer without a new drone in this lineup.

I might snag the new props if I ever see them in stock somewhere, but truth be told I've never found the Mavic that loud. My other drone is an Inspire, so maybe I'm just tolerant of a higher noise level, ha.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Thanks!

A quick search for Mavic on the Black Friday ad sites shows the best deals for the Mavic will be around $100 off or $899. That is at Best Buy, Costco, Sam's etc. A couple places have some bundles in the $1149 range with extras. Most of these places will sell online as well as in store. So no need to get trampled.

Good luck!

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Is the fly more bundle needed? Looks like extra batteries, which is probably good. And a backpack. Probably end up buying those anyway, so I'm leaning toward the bundle unless I could get the same components cheaper elsewhere.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Correct there is no such thing as a mavic 2 just a platinum edition, i just use two/2 instead. I dont buy into dji's naming convention which seems similar to starbucks, the drink is small, medium or large not a vente, grande, etc. same thing for dji's quad copters / drones if its functionally different than what came before it its a new version in my opinion.

The mavic is quiter than a phantom and the platinum even quiter but only partly because of the redesigned blades, the new speed controllers account for the rest of the noise reduction. Inspires are bigger, more expensive and really in a different class. Noise may not be an issue, depends on the user and what they plan to get footage of primarily, if you want close in shots within 200' up or out from the remote stock mavics and phantoms are easy to hear and ive met many people (subjects of my footage and bystanders) that dislike the swarming bees sound, seversl have told me thet but for the sound they would not have known the flying camera was there. You can sometimes hide the heli by positioning it infront of the Sun but cant do much at all about the noise it makes.

I think the biggest part of the fly more package is the extra batteries. The chraging hub is cool but unless you plan to burn through more than 3 batteries per session its not really needed. As for the case, there are better and cheaper available. If given the choice i would take a third extra battery over the hub and case. I bigger memory card than the 16gb that came withit would also be nice.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length