• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

DJI Mavic Drone

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
But ended up setting up a meeting on this one.
IMG_1358.JPG
"So many pretty drones around me and their waking up the rocket, keep up!"

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
check amazon - I would order new for those prices so you can return it if it's not working

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I checked the DJI site, amazon, etc. but can't get it until next week if I go that route and it may be taxable. This one I could have today. I don't mind buying slightly used. As long as I see it fly before I buy. Some come with DJI cares extended warranty/repair/replacement service (like my Mavic did).

Thought about going with the air dog / air dog ii route for $1k + but I'm not convinced air dog will stay in business especially since they are using kickstarter / crowd funding again to launch the air dog ii (if they did well on the first Version why are they turning to crowd funding on the second? Maybe because it's not ready, they won't make their release schedule, and they have a lot less contractual liability if I order through kick starter).

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Ronnie got it
I would stick with DJI
they are not going anywhere

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
How heavy is it @Ronnie ? Do you have to register it?

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
FAA registration rule was overturned in courts a few weeks ago.

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nice!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I tried the spark out on the water yesterday. It's what I expected, a good selfie type of platform and fun to fly in sport mode but too slow for any of the action footage I want. I'm keeping it though along with the Mavic and phantom 4 but will probably use the phantom 4 primarily, it's got a big footprint but it just works better for than the Mavic.

I didn't have a getterback (fishing rod saver/balloon) yesterday so I got these two key holders from west marine as a temporary recovery solution, I won't be using them again, to big/heavy.

IMG_8892.JPG IMG_8890.JPG

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wind was not a problem at all it just can't keep up in non sport mode so it's limited for me to footage at anchor and no wake speed.

Additionally, although it has some nice advanced flight modes (pre programmed flight paths and camera angles) some only allow for pictures not video to be taken.

The gesture control functions are hit or miss but cool nonetheless.

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This finally came in tonight, only a month late but right on time for this weekend.
IMG_8898.JPG
On a related note my wife asked for an estimate on how much money I spent so far on drones and related accessories as well as how much my current equipment is worth. I pretended that I didn't hear her as I headed back to work but I know she will ask again soon.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have not tried them out yet, but turned them on and tried them on. Based on what I've done so far, they are Fing awesome. So much easier to wear, adjust and use than the Carl Ziess cinimaizers I got a few years ago. The CZs are still good but DJI's are better. Thing has a touch pad, flip up lenses, hdmi port, its own memory card, etc.
can't wait to try them out this weekend.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I saw a couple of Youtubers review them after saying they were not worth it and they had basically the same opinion as you after trying them. I personally just pretend like they don't exist and haven't looked into them much at all, otherwise I will end up buying them too.

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Ronnie = money to burn
love it........

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Ronnie My boss just got his pair. He brought them in and we looked at it and i was amazed with the clarity if the goggle... Was absolutely amazing.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ronnie, you might just be the charter member of your local Drones Anonymous help group!!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Then there were three.
View attachment 59576
Going to try this out tomorrow while jet skiing with my son.
View attachment 59578
View attachment 59577
View attachment 59579
Goggles should be here by next week!
I think it's so cool that you can have all these cool toys. But for the life of me, I don't see the need to purchase a Spark if you are an advanced pilot and already own a Mavic. From what I can tell, the Spark is an entry-level drone for beginners at a lower price point.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The value I see in the spark is that it can be used to take those clips that are hard to get even for an experienced person, like a perfect circle around an object or a spiraling and expanding clip. There are a few others that the spark does which the Mavic and p4 do not but for the other functions it's a toy compared to the other two. The camera is not as good, its very slow in non sport mode but fun to fly in sport mode. It also won't hurt as much if I lose or wreck it.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Shot this today. I never calibrated the IMU but it looks good. I did press the focus button several times throughout the flight but the effort was reasonable.

Sure wish I had my boat here.
IMG_6699.JPG