• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Do you have questions about Battery Chargers? I am here to help!

Bigdog

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Hello Jet Boaters.

My name is Jason with Charger Guy and I am here to help out with your battery charging needs.
Please check out my Vendor Section at Jet Boaters.

I also made a video about battery chargers. Feel free to watch it as it covers a lot of topics. If you have any questions about battery chargers, please let me know. I am here to make sure you have a safe time on the water.

Thanks!
Jason

Were can I buy one of these chargers?

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last edited:

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Wondering if the following batteries and safety charger are a good fit. Appreciate any insights the group can provide as I inhereited this old charger from my good old dad.

Marine Starting:
  • 24M-X
  • Marine Crank @ 80 F: 1160
  • Cold Crank @ 0 F: 800
  • Reserve capacity: 135

Marine:
  • 24EV Deep Cycle
  • Marine Crank @ 80 F: 795
  • Cold Crank @ 0 F: 550
  • Reserve capacity: 140

Cliplight Safety Charger
  • Deep Cycle
  • 10 amps for 12 volt batteries

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not familiar with that charger. Link to a website?
Generally the charger should have two dedicated banks for your two batteries are they are serving separate functions.

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This is all I have on it. It’s like 25 yrs old. 8BC36339-AE4E-4E95-9074-05B9A5521562.jpeg

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
JMo, but I would not use a 25 year old charger with a modern battery. The life span of most smart chargers these days is about 3-5 years. Pick up a 2 bank prosport 12 by ProMariner, connect both batteries, and you never have to worry about charging them right.

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm only using the charger when the batteries are pulled for the winter. Is there another unit you'd recommend for non-marine applications like basement charging/tending :)

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You could go with an 8 am prosport model and save a few $$. Maybe the Promite 5/5 by promariner if it is cheaper. That is as low as I would suggest going to do it right. Anything other than a reliable smart charger isnt something that you can rely on to prevent overcharging.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hey Jason, just found this thread. You are super knowledgeable. A few questions if you don’t mind.

1 - any views on where to mount an onboard charger? I just bought a ProSport 12 2-bank and the instructions say not to mount it too close to the batteries. I was thinking of mounting mine in the battery compartment where the two batteries are but now I’m thinking the engine compartment might be better

2 - my boat is stored for the winter so I was going to put the charger in my garage where I store the batteries and use it to maintain them. Any concerns?

3. I have two other batteries from a Sea-Doo and an old Chaparral. Can I connect these two batteries in parallel on each bank so I can charge/maintain all four batteries?

many thanks.

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey Jason, just found this thread. You are super knowledgeable. A few questions if you don’t mind.

1 - any views on where to mount an onboard charger? I just bought a ProSport 12 2-bank and the instructions say not to mount it too close to the batteries. I was thinking of mounting mine in the battery compartment where the two batteries are but now I’m thinking the engine compartment might be better

2 - my boat is stored for the winter so I was going to put the charger in my garage where I store the batteries and use it to maintain them. Any concerns?

3. I have two other batteries from a Sea-Doo and an old Chaparral. Can I connect these two batteries in parallel on each bank so I can charge/maintain all four batteries?

many thanks.
The key is you want to be as far away from the batteries, engine, etc. A few feet is typically good. Plus the area needs to be vented when it charged. If this means opening a hatch when plugged in then you need to make sure there is air getting to it. The garage is fine as long as there is plenty of air. I would be more concerned about freezing the batteries, in which case you may want to move the batteries and charger to a warmer, vented, area.

With the prosport line ( and just about all waterproof chargers ) you can connect one battery per bank. Anything else will stress the system and something can and will fail. This is where I heard about chargers/batteries failing. Other chargers like the Pronautic series can let you double up batteries on one bank, but they need to be the same age, make, model, and always been that way so their lifespan is in sync. That is a different application.

Magyar86

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I didn’t read the whole thread so sorry if something similar has been discussed. But people with two batteries, a ACR, and dual bank charger here is a tip. To keep the ACR from connecting the batteries while charging the simplest way is to put a switch on the ground wire of ACR. But for me that was one more thing for me to forget to do. So what I did is got a cheap Ac to Dc converter and wired the ac side to the wall plug socket and the dc side positive to the starting isolation terminal and the negative to negative. That way when I plug the charger it the converter sends 12v to starter isolation which disconnects the two batteries and the charger can do its thing to each battery separately. Nothing to remember and has been working great.

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If 242x is your boat model, it really has nothing to do with the batteries as it does not tell me what is in your boat. 2 batteries? 5 because of your stereo? Just one because you are brave? etc

If you have lead acid they are likely fine. If you have AGM batteries I would double check the charging specs.
These clamp chargers are good for dry land. I would not use them on a boat that is floating. Too many horror stories of clamps coming of terminals from movement, sparking, etc.

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for the quick response. 2 batteries, on land.

Marine Starting:
  • 24M-X
  • Marine Crank @ 80 F: 1160
  • Cold Crank @ 0 F: 800
  • Reserve capacity: 135
Marine:
  • 24EV Deep Cycle
  • Marine Crank @ 80 F: 795
  • Cold Crank @ 0 F: 550
  • Reserve capacity: 140

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
one charger per battery as long as the batteries are not connected...this seems fine.

Jmland

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hi Jason I don't know much about batterys. I have a 2018 242x purchased new and the the dealer installed the cheapest battery they could. I have 2 amps plus sound bar and woofer. I like using stereo. I would like to upgrade my batteries and install a battery charger and what's upsetting Yamaha didn't even install battery boxes I would like to upgrade everything. Need advice and do u carry the products to complete job to excellence and clean. Thank You

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Happy to help but I am out of that business now. Generally most boaters have a starter and a backup along with a Perko 2 battery switch and a 2 bank smart charger like a prosport 12. If you need more power and this more batteries you will simply need to assess your situation with a marine electrician to determine how many batteries that you need and go from there. Tough to guess at this point.

Jmland

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Happy to help but I am out of that business now. Generally most boaters have a starter and a backup along with a Perko 2 battery switch and a 2 bank smart charger like a prosport 12. If you need more power and this more batteries you will simply need to assess your situation with a marine electrician to determine how many batteries that you need and go from there. Tough to guess at this point.
I have 2 battery and a switch to also switch on the house battery if needed this is how it came from Yamaha. Just was looking for recommendation on what is 2 good batteries to replace and what what a good charger to mount to charge the batteries when needed. Thank You

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I have 2 battery and a switch to also switch on the house battery if needed this is how it came from Yamaha. Just was looking for recommendation on what is 2 good batteries to replace and what what a good charger to mount to charge the batteries when needed. Thank You
I went with 2 Duracell AGM deep cycle batteries. To support the health and keep them charged I installed a ProMariner ProSport 12 On-Board Charger w/NOCO outlet. The outlet is awesome as long as you don't mind drilling a big hole in the side of your boat.

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What are the group sizes of all 3 batteries? Usually 24,27,31, etc. All lead acid?