• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Do you need a captain's license?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bruce , I believe you are exactly correct. Except that the federal jurisdiction is only as to 'navigable waters'. The distinction is that only those waters are involved in 'interstate commerce', which is what gives Congress the right to regulate them. That is why it is not 'federal overreach'. :)

Paul Kalamary

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow this is very good info thanks to all....

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
My understanding on this coming from a family of chart captains on Lake Erie and first mate myself for several years, you need a USCG license if you plan to charge for anything on the boat as "hire". We had a "pirate" captain at our marina years ago that would take people out on 6 pack walleye charters with a first mate, but only charge for fuel and that was on a "voluntary" basis only. Its people like this that make it hard for full time captains (fishing, cruising, sight seeing) to make a living and actually follow the letter of the law. I read time and time again down here in the Tampa Florida area of people over packing a boat and charging people fuel only for sight seeing cruises.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
@Bruce , I believe you are exactly correct. Except that the federal jurisdiction is only as to 'navigable waters'. The distinction is that only those waters are involved in 'interstate commerce', which is what gives Congress the right to regulate them. That is why it is not 'federal overreach'. :)
I think in either case, just spend a little extra money and get your 6-pack. The Party Boat license looks to be almost a hand-out if you have your OUPV. It opens your possibilities quite a bit.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
My understanding on this coming from a family of chart captains on Lake Erie and first mate myself for several years, you need a USCG license if you plan to charge for anything on the boat as "hire". We had a "pirate" captain at our marina years ago that would take people out on 6 pack walleye charters with a first mate, but only charge for fuel and that was on a "voluntary" basis only. Its people like this that make it hard for full time captains (fishing, cruising, sight seeing) to make a living and actually follow the letter of the law. I read time and time again down here in the Tampa Florida area of people over packing a boat and charging people fuel only for sight seeing cruises.
I see it all the time at the ramp. Shitty pontoons with 18 people on board. Usually a bachelorette party with Captain Creeper.

Paul Kalamary

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If we look it from an economic perspective, at the end is all business. If you want to make money you have to pay to be in compliance. Standards and passing scores for the 6 pack are very demanding. USCG wants you to be a super human driving a boat. Comerce around the world will always take precedence over 4-6 cats.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
If we look it from an economic perspective, at the end is all business. If you want to make money you have to pay to be in compliance. Standards and passing scores for the 6 pack are very demanding. USCG wants you to be a super human driving a boat. Comerce around the world will always take precedence over 4-6 cats.
The OUPV test is hard but not super-human. I passed on my first try. Honestly if you don't pass it's because you didn't put in the time to study. They want you to pass a physical and eye exam (and they are pretty lenient on what passing is considered there). They want you to be drug free and know how to perform first-aid/CPR. This all pretty basic and common sense stuff. USCG wants to ensure people are going to be safe. There are a lot of captains that have no idea what they are doing and put peoples life in danger every single day (probably a few on this board).

If anything they should become MORE strict on basic boating licenses. You should have to pay to take an on-water test. Driving without a boating license? Give them a $1000 fine. Do it twice ... take their boat.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So should people putting their boat on the GetMyBoat app have a license to operate. I was thinking of doing this to pay for my slip.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
So should people putting their boat on the GetMyBoat app have a license to operate. I was thinking of doing this to pay for my slip.
GMB doesn't check but by law you should if you captain. Also USCG does stings on operators on there.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
GMB doesn't check but by law you should if you captain. Also USCG does stings on operators on there.
Good to know. We only have auxiliary CG on lake Norman but I suppose they could do it also.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Good to know. We only have auxiliary CG on lake Norman but I suppose they could do it also.
Our FWC will also look for unlicensed charters and report findings to USCG investigators.