• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Do you need a captain's license?

I was seeking reason within the madness. You are right laws don't have to make sense or be congruent, so the FAA connection perhaps is meaningless as suggested. I stand corrected.

I do believe if you genuinely share costs work others I can't imagine it being a problem, but if you want passengers for hire you need your license. It's like speeding but much higher fine. You may do it without getting caught, but you can't be surprised if you are, and should be prepared for the cost if it does happen. If you can't afford the fine, don't do it.

So at the end of the day as long as you are not engaged in commerce you don’t need a captains license.

I’m not buying that if people want to contribute to the owner for expenses this constitutes commerce. If the owner makes that a condition of being on the boat then it can be construed as commerce.

Just because people share fuel costs does make that a commercial endeavor. Otherwise carpooling would be a commercial endeavor.

The problem my friends have is getting me to take money for gas, I didn’t invite them out on the water to cover fuel etc… I invited them to come with me and enjoy the day-pleasure cruising. When people ask me what they can bring I tell them snacks, sandwiches and whatever beverages they want.

By the looks of some of the posts here it appears the 2% rule is in effect here as well….2% of the people screw it up for everyone else.

I admit a first preference is, pay attention and stay out of the way! Second, please don't bring the kitchen sink. If you are helpful that's a great plus. Never have accepted gas money yet. But i will defend your right to do so ?

A diagram that appeared in my FB newsfeed recently. This is one thing you will learn along the way to a Captain's lisence. We do not have much of this up here.

IMG_0560~2.jpg

Pay no attention to the source, LOL

IMG_0560~3.jpg

That doesn't help with towing vessels lol.

What you need to know is a lot. How often and how long do you ring a bell while in fog? What size/shape/color is a temporary buoey is climates known for ice? Tons of stuff I will never use once.

I’d rather someone help me clean the boat then give me gas money lol

If my wife and her friends ever spent an ounce of time cleaning the boat, there would never be another shoe or sunflower seed brought on board. But alas, this is not the case.

CBD Vessel? Stoners on board? LOL

Vessel Constrained by draft, lol. I/ the vessel needs to be in the middle/deep part of the channel. I don’t know why they placed It in the shallows in the picture.

Last edited:
An OUPV 6 pack Captain’s license is required on inland waters if you are hired to take up to 6 people on sightseeing, fishing, diving etc.

Screenshotted this from the Mariners learning system.

View attachment 172592

I am currently using this course to test for my OUPV 6 pack Captain’s license.
How are you logging your days at sea?

Interesting…

Just wanted to pass this on for any Members considering your Captains license. Go for it!!
I researched all the programs and chose Great Lakes Captains Training (in person course) Captain's License Class - GLC Training - US Coast Guard Approved
They offer the 9 day course (all classroom) around the world. (Its heavy duty 10-12 hrs a day and studying at night with flash cards, etc..)
GLC Training offers a wide selection of classes, including the 100 Ton Master Captain’s License Class , STCW Basic Safety Training, Lifeboat/Water Survival, Radar Observer Certification, Marine Electronics Installation, Marlinspike Seamanship, and Recreational Boater Safety. I signed up for the 100 Ton Master Captain’s License Class with Towing which prepares the student to successfully complete the United States Coast Guard Examination to operate a vessel for hire. They are a qualified USCG examination site, so you can take the exam at the end of the course. I knew I wouldn't be able to commit to an online/study on your own Captains License course like the Mariners Learning System https://www.marinerslearningsystem.com/.
The GLC course was listed for $900, including materials and examination, but they give you a 10% for Military or Law Enforcement. GLC creates a detailed checklist for you before you submit everything to the USCG.
After submitting your application packet to the USCG, you can follow the process online. USCG will e-mail with any clarifications needed along the way. I had to resubmit some sea service paperwork twice and take another "Red Cross" First Aid/CPR/AED course. I passed the GLC course in the end of January and just received my official Master for 25 Tons with Towing endorsement for inland waters yesterday. Yea!! Its what I qualified for with my sea time. I plan on retiring, working in the field and adding to my sea time and upgrading my license. GLC was a great family owned company to deal with (i'm not employed or affiliated) even after the class they reviewed my application packet before sending it to USCG. It was perfect to do during the winter months...
If you have any questions let me know.
Happy Boating!
Captain InmyElement!

336C3284-8E11-4E0A-9AB3-887D07FD7E33.jpeg

Don’t forget, if doing you as a paid captain, you need to be enrolled in a drug consortium as well.

In a discussion with someone about when you need a captains license and they claim:

Julian - No you do not. You only need a six pack license if you are on saltwater or on a body of water that connects to the intro coaster waterway. If you are on a boat that is less than 30 feet long and on a closed freshwater lake you do not need a license besides a drivers license.​

I think this is wrong and that:

Licenses are required in order to legally carry passengers for hire. This includes charters for fishing, sightseeing, diving, transportation, teaching or any use which is considered a “passenger for hire” situation.​

Yep if you charge for your service you need a USCG issued license. In the other side, you can accept gas tips with no issues at all

Yep if you charge for your service you need a USCG issued license. In the other side, you can accept gas tips with no issues at all

People who are on inland lakes are adamant that they don't need a Captain's license if the waterway is not "navigable". Here is the law from Texas on what they require to be a party boat operator (note- they do not require you to have a USCG Captain's license, and will allow you to carry more than 6 people).

They are explicit about "operating on inland waters "

@Julian, a few years ago several fishing guides on Lake Ouachita were charged with operating without a USCG Captain's License. At that time most if not all got their licenses.

Lake Ouachita is inland without any locks or any commercial navigation.

A call to the local Coast Guard Auxiliary should confirm the necessity for whoever has questions.

@Julian, a few years ago several fishing guides on Lake Ouachita were charged with operating without a USCG Captain's License. At that time most if not all got their licenses.

Lake Ouachita is inland without any locks or any commercial navigation.

A call to the local Coast Guard Auxiliary should confirm the necessity for whoever has questions.
Possibly....but the Texans I talk to say they contacted their local Police and they don't need it. "Federal over reach" is the term used. The Texas party boat license sure makes it clear Texas doesn't require one.....now could the CG press Federal charges if the State Law is explicit....would be interesting.

but the Texans I talk to say they contacted their local Police and they don't need it.

The Texan's may not be prosecuted but if they are operating commercially without a license they are in violation of federal law.

Federal law covers all US waters. The USCG does create different regulations for lakes and the ocean such as requiring flares on the ocean.

If carrying paying passengers they are operating an uninspected passenger vessel.

46 U.S. Code § 2101
Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 1.42.38 PM.png

Uninspected passenger vessels must be under the direction and control of an individual credentialed by the Coast Guard.

46 CFR 15.605
Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 1.46.02 PM.png

As to the point about cost sharing, that is not an issue as long as it is voluntary. Also 46 U.S. Code § 2101

Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 1.50.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 1.51.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 1.48.54 PM.png

Back