• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Do you need the xd? Or can you learn just as well?

NorCalBoater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Is the drive system just software and thus a good pilot doesn't need it? For example, dock mode or lateral movement, is that a combination of different hardware and software? Or can you do it all on the non drive boats?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Is the drive system just software and thus a good pilot doesn't need it? For example, dock mode or lateral movement, is that a combination of different hardware and software? Or can you do it all on the non drive boats?
I don’t think lateral movement is possible with the Drive system because the jet nozzles still move together and not independently. If we are talking about the Helm Master EX that’s on the 2024 255 FSH H then lateral movement, as well as movement in any direction is possible with the joy stick that’s because each jet pump will thrust independently of each other, which is not only thrust direction but thrust intensity.

My personal opinion, and I’ve never used this system, is that the Drive system is to make it easier for newbies, and seasoned pilots to maneuver at the dock. In your words, “a good pilot doesn’t need them”. Having said that, a good pilot can benefit greatly from the Helm Master due to the jet pumps being able to thrust independently of each other.